I Used Zip Cord! Alert The Media.

russ69

I set up a new system in my vacation house. Used all my leftover gear. I didn't want to pay for fancy wires until I heard what it sounded like so I used some lamp cord. Son of a gun, it wasn't too bad, who da thunk?

Russ, have you been drinking.... tappingfoot.gif This dosen't sound like you!!! Have aliens taken over our "Russ"???? rolling.gif

Seriously though, I use cheap Home Depot speaker wire and it works fine for me! drinkingcheers.gif

Dennie

• Moderators

I set up a new system in my vacation house. Used all my leftover gear. I didn't want to pay for fancy wires until I heard what it sounded like so I used some lamp cord. Son of a gun, it wasn't too bad, who da thunk?

Russ, have you been drinking.... tappingfoot.gif This dosen't sound like you!!! Have aliens taken over our "Russ"???? rolling.gif

Seriously though, I use cheap Home Depot speaker wire and it works fine for me! drinkingcheers.gif

Dennie

Your right something is wrong with him and it must be serious ! [:(] That does NOT sound like Russ AT ALL.

I need to bookmark this, when he comes around he will not believe what he did and said. [;)]

I think it was good enough for PWK. It did not take him long to convince me that electrons weren't all that bright and really did not care about how much the wire cost.

He DID, however, insist on copper. Accept no substitutes.

Dave

I could not tell the difference between a metal coat hanger and a $500 Monster cable in a triple blind test. I think my hearning is damage beyond repair.

• Moderators

I could not tell the difference between a metal coat hanger and a $500 Monster cable in a triple blind test. I think my hearning is damage beyond repair

Well that's the problem, it was a blind test, the $500 monster cable is designed for looking that much better, nothing special on the inside, it's all about appearance.

I have some very old Monster Cable I bought that had a thin blue dielectric running in the center of the copper braid. That was suppose to make some difference. Quite frankly, now I am far less concerned with the wire I use. Right now, I am using an old orange extension cord to go from my POS receiver to my Heresies in my garage, and it sounds ducky. duckie.gif

Don't get too excited boys. Although I had never assembled this particular system before, I had a good idea on how it might sound. I actually picked zip cord, for it's sound qualities. The pre-amp is holding the system back and the MMGs are a tad rolled off on top (very top end). I find zip cord a little zippy on the top so it was a natural match. So all is well with the world and like I have always said, you have to try something first before you can discount the way it works.

Thanx for playing.......

I could not tell the difference between a metal coat hanger and a $500 Monster cable in a triple blind test. I think my hearning is damage beyond repair.

I actually picked zip cord, for it's sound qualities.

Avoid white insulation...accents white noise. Black makes the sound too dark. Nice, neutral color is good, but there is still coloration. Best thing is to strip the insulation and keep the wires separated and bare...provides completely transparent sound.

You can trust me, because I never lie and I always tell the truth.

Dave

Avoid white insulation...accents white noise. Black makes the sound too dark. Nice, neutral color is good, but there is still coloration. Best thing is to strip the insulation and keep the wires separated and bare...provides completely transparent sound.

Mine has clear insulation. You guessed it...for clear highs.