Why vinyl?

SonicSeeker

Mag tape deteriorates in playback quality from the time it is recorded until the tape delaminates.

Everything does. I am just saying you can't hear it, at least I can't. They sound just fine...and my hearing isn't THAT far gone. In fact, I was stunned when I bought a cassette deck to transfer some family tapes and found a Dolby C metal tape casssette I'd made in the 80's. Silent, and more like SACD or DBX R2R

It is, of course, not possible to tell from memory if any tape degradation has occurred over time. It may sound OK to you but analysis will reveal HF losses. I think that one of the big reasons multitrack studios went to digital was to preserve the information on the tracks and masters that were being lost on the analog tapes due to magnetic losses.

I found it interesting that cheap tape made with oxide has less loss over time than chrome or metal tape, although it is noisier and has worse FR than the other two, initially.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is, of course, not possible to tell from memory if any tape degradation has occurred over time. It may sound OK to you but analysis will reveal HF losses.

I disagree with your first statement, which isn't science but opinion...fair enough. On second, I've no doubt you are right but if neither mine nor youngers ears can hear this and still find these stunning "analysis" is only of scientific interest. I don't listen to analyzers.

Dave

I have many 78's waiting to be played but mostly from 78 books. They seem to have endured in the best condition from those with just covers or worse sitting stacked up on top of each other. I have some pretty cool 78's like Raymond Scott, Fats Waller, and some early Calypso. I need to get a second tonearm and cart.

I was at lunch the other day and met a friend who brought along this other guy. The guy called himself a sound engineer. After talking for 10 minutes I concluded his knowledge of music was solely pop music from the radio from the last 10 years. I ragged on autotune and he jumped right in on how useful it is and how much it helped Britney Spears when he saw her in concert..... [:|] I just changed subject as I couldn't go down that road. I am worried about the future and how long the good production houses will be around. I pray they are passing their knowledge along.

Why Vinyl?

I dont know the why's and reasons but to me, and for the music that I listen to most often, vinyl sounds way better. Keep in mind I dont listen to a lot of any music that is electronic or synth based. Most is acoustic whether that be symphonic, jazz or other. Many times I have compared cd vs vinyl for sceptical folks and to a person they prefer the warmth of vinyl. I have never heard a stereo system that even remotely resembles live music but vinyl even with what folks here have said are its' frequency limitations, provides the musicality that allows me to take the leap of faith and believe I am listening to a live performance.

FWIW

Josh

Like others I too much prefer vinyl over cd, but maybe it does have

something to do with the engineering vs the medium. I have a lot of vinyl that

I bought new in the late 70's (mostly classic rock from the 60's and 70's)

while stationed in Germany, and some of it sounds like crap too. However, the

German and Belgium pressings sound pretty good, as does a number of the

American pressings if they were 1st pressings, which a lot of mine are.

Over the last few years, however, I have accumulated nothing but audiophile

pressings (mfsl, nautilus, half-speed masters, direct-to-disc, classic records,

analogue productions, music matters, etc), and most of this stuff sounds head

and shoulders better than any cd's I own. Most of these are new re-issues from

the master tapes on 180 gm or heavier virgin vinyl, This is not the cheap,

flimsy vinyl your parents were spinning a generation or two ago. Most of it is

very quiet too.

There is no doubt I also prefer the warmer sound of vinyl, but that doesn’t

mean it’s lacking in some of the other attributes I care so much about

(clarity, detail, separation of instruments, soundstage, etc.). Vinyl just sucks me in and forces me to sit down and listen. It just

feels right to me.

Mike

Coolies, Droid. For all the vinyl junkies around here I've found it odd there are so few shellac freaks. My interest in records isn't about "analog superiority" but about the MUSIC. I've said many times that of all the bad engineering to be found in digital it seems the transfer of 78s is the biggest crime. They can't seem to leave it alone and insist on trying to "improve" it with filters, denoise, whatever. Like all recordings, what I've found is that digitizing 78s at the highest res you have and with as pure a signal path as possible yields (SHOCK) the best results.

But there is nothing like seeing the surprise and disbelief on a young listeners face seeing that 80 year old platter spinning away as Benny Goodman or Kid Ory makes magic in the room again.

Dave

I guess it boils down to whether you're an "audiophile" or a music lover. IMO, audiophiles are never happy, no matter how much $$$ they throw at it, because they're more into the equipment than the music. Music lovers are just the opposite, and generally fixate more on getting something that does a good basic job of reproduction without getting rediculous. I guess if you can sit down an enjoy a cylinder record, 78 or Edison disc, you'll also enjoy an LP, CD, or just about any other media that delivers the goods.

I do not think that audiophile and music lover are exclusive positions., In fact despite the flack that "audiophiles" take I would venture to say that most I know are as into music as anyone. Just because you appreciate the equipment doesnt mean you cant appreciate music. That is nonsense.

Best musicians I know care about the piano they play they care about the guitar they play they care about the tubes in their amp, etc etc . Yes there are many who could give a rats *** but the best I know do care about their equipment, their sound etc etc and spend a great deal of effort making sure the sound is as good as it can be. So to suggest that you are either an audiophile or a music lover doesnt wash with my experience.

Josh

I do not think that audiophile and music lover are exclusive positions., In fact despite the flack that "audiophiles" take I would venture to say that most I know are as into music as anyone. Just because you appreciate the equipment doesnt mean you cant appreciate music. That is nonsense.

Best musicians I know care about the piano they play they care about the guitar they play they care about the tubes in their amp, etc etc . Yes there are many who could give a rats *** but the best I know do care about their equipment, their sound etc etc and spend a great deal of effort making sure the sound is as good as it can be. So to suggest that you are either an audiophile or a music lover doesnt wash with my experience.

Josh

I agree. I think there are a lot of audiophiles who refer to themselves as music lovers because of the negative connotation associated with audiophile. I'm an audiophile and I have audiophile friends. We get together to check it each other's systems. We talk about gear for about 15 minutes and play music and talk about the music, artists and their careers, who played with whom and when, covers of songs, that stuff for the next 4 hours. The gear quickly becomes what it is - Something to play music on and nothing else.

If I had a nickel for every audiophile who called themself a music lover I'd be a rich man. This site is about gear. The actual music is mentioned on this site a very small percentage of the time. There are sites that focus on music. This ain't one them.

I guess it boils down to whether you're an "audiophile" or a music lover.

Yes, but as mentioned in another response these things overlap pretty seamlessly for some of us. My "fanatic" side is definitely with the music, but I take pride in my equipment and really enjoy futzing with it. However, when all is said and done it is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

I've said over and over here I'd rather listen to a great recording by Myrin Floren on a car radio than a crappy recording on the finest system money can buy.

Dave

I've said over and over here I'd rather listen to a great recording by Myrin Floren on a car radio than a crappy recording on the finest system money can buy.

I'd rather listen to a good recording on a good system than a poor or damaged recording on a good system. The poor or damaged recording will reveal all of it's defects on a good system and that seriously inteferes with my enjoyment of the music I am trying to hear.

This site is about gear. The actual music is mentioned on this site a very small percentage of the time. There are sites that focus on music. This ain't one them.

I completely disagree! Funny how we can see the same "site" from two different perspectives. I came to this "site" because of the gear and I stay because of the focus on music! listening.gif

Dennie shrug.gif

This site is about gear. The actual music is mentioned on this site a very small percentage of the time. There are sites that focus on music. This ain't one them.

I completely disagree! Funny how we can see the same "site" from two different perspectives. I came to this "site" because of the gear and I stay because of the focus on music! listening.gif

Dennie shrug.gif

He's just reading the worng threads, Dennie. If it wasn't about the music, we wouldn't need no stinkin' speakers! [;)]
Bruce

Dennie shrug.gif

He's just reading the worng threads, Dennie. If it wasn't about the music, we wouldn't need no stinkin' speakers! Wink
Bruce

Thank Goodness Bruce! Maybe we can get Sebrof to share some of his "favorite Music" and he may see this "site" differently! [^o)]

Dennie fingerscrossed.gif

Dennie shrug.gif

He's just reading the worng threads, Dennie. If it wasn't about the music, we wouldn't need no stinkin' speakers! Wink
Bruce

Thank Goodness Bruce! Maybe we can get Sebrof to share some of his "favorite Music" and he may see this "site" differently! Hmm

Dennie fingerscrossed.gif

I'd love to share my recent music purchases, although music is rarely discussed on this site. See below the list of current topics in 2-channel, not one thread is primarily about music that I could tell. Maybe you guys could point me to where you're talking about music??

I just got 2 Kenny Burrell records (Jazz Guitarist): For Duke, which is a 1-record excerpt from his 2-record "Ellington Lives Forever" and also "God Bless The Child" which has a real spooky cover (Vietnam copter). Great stuff, I was not a KB fan until one of my audiophile buddies played one of his records a while back.

Dawes, Deer Tick, Middle Brother - My 18-year old son turned me on the these bands. Good stuff, kinda alt rock type thing. All LPs except Middle Brother, Dawes was a 2-record 45rpm set brand new for $17 at the local record store. Can't beat that.

Herb Alpert and Hugh Masekala - An unlikely combo, jazz horns. Hugh's African influence heard throughout.

Al Kooper I stand Alone - Classic record, only I don't really like it. Has his version of "One" (You know, "One is the loneliest number that you'll ever know...").

Why vinyl? New Jubs on the Block Look at what I found on c-list... KPT-904 vs Jubilee with same top thoughts JBL Tweeter Array Set-Up Three and a half walls using Belles.

Streaming music. PC? Sonos? Squeezebox?

RF-7 ll GONE vintage Jensen and/or Pilot Need some advice on equipment. KG 3.5 Speakers and HK 430 Twin Powered Receiver Sanders Electrostatics? Flooded Domo Sherwood S-5000 integrated tube amplifier. Marantz 8b Question about adding a powered subwoofer Epic CF 4 Dumb K-horn Center Channel Question Frazier Users Group aka F.U.G. DIY Guys-Speaker Restoration Tip Needed NOS TOTL Japanese cheese??? Quicksilver Horn Monos My jubilee setup Gave my Cornwalls away Some help on building a Khorn copy. Tube Amp Advice: 2A3 or 300B or??? Best 300B to go with Belle? any suggestion? My first tube receiver - the Pioneer SX-800 Dealers say Klipsch Suck

I know I'm going WAY back but this one thread made jazz fanatics out of me and quite a few other forum members. A list of recommended jazz albums was created (by Boomac) using this thread that many of us kept as a sort of "jazz bible" until we were up to speed.

We had threads like this going all the time back then. For some of us, we've already "been there, done that."

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/26437.aspx?PageIndex=1

The "Right this minute" thread that is pinned at the top of the Two Channel topic is kinda nice to browse. People list what they are listening to...right this minute. I picked up on somemusic I had never heard before, just by browsing there.

Allan Songer posted a lot in the past. He still lurks on here (he was logged in early this a.m., would have been about 6:00 or so Cali time.

I've always appreciated people talking about what they listen to as well as the tools used.

Kenny Burrell... nice.

Bruce

edit: my younger son gave sent me a CD of Dave Holland and Pepe Habichuela / Hand, for my birthday. Jazz bassist and flemenco guitarist. IT's a great CD.

I know I'm going WAY back but this one thread made jazz fanatics out of me and quite a few other forum members. A list of recommended jazz albums was created (by Boomac) using this thread that many of us kept as a sort of "jazz bible" until we were up to speed.

We had threads like this going all the time back then. For some of us, we've already "been there, done that."

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/26437.aspx?PageIndex=1

Yeah, I'm not saying that music isn't discussed, and I realize that for all of us it's a mix of music and gear. But my comment that got bolded and disagreed with was " The actual music is mentioned on this site a very small percentage of the time." I Know about the "Right This Minute" thread, but that hasn't been posted to since Sunday and it's now Thursday.

Dennie - Your sig isn't "Give Me Jazz or Give Me Death" or "I Love Heavy Metal Drummers" You got 17 pieces of gear listed on your sig. I'm just sayin'

You beat me to it, Bruce. The Right This Minute thread is the longest running and thus the most popular thread around here. But if someone asks a technical question, it demands a technical answer. Responding with, "Don't worry about it, just listen and be happy" would not be a satisfactory answer to such a question.