The Heresy refurb project

jhoak

So I had a pretty rough set of 75 HWOs. The original idea was that I would sand them down and refinish them. I was going to need all new front edge banding. As it turned out the walnut veneer was too far gone to salvage. I had a good bit of oak veneer left over from the Cornscala project so they’re going from HWOs to HOOs.

Here’s the progress so far. All of the veneer is on and they have had their first sanding, the motor-boards have been resprayed, new grill frames cut, and new back panels cut and painted. I have also completed the crossovers. They’re a BEC design called the E/4500. Basically a Type-E crossover with an additional coil to roll of the K-55s and bring the CT125s in at 4500Hz.

Here’s the pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yet to do is line the cabinets with an asphalt based damping material, oil the cabinets, build the grills and put them back together. I’m getting pretty anxious to hear them. They’ll set up in the guest room and driven by a really nice Marantz 2270. For sources there are a Dual 1249 & Shure M97xE, an old Sony CD changer and a Revox A-77 R2R. Should make for a pretty sweet little “vintage” system all said and done.

Thanks!!!

Well I can't stand it. Me being the way I am I'm going to put them back together and listen to them for a while before applying finish to them.

I'll post an interior shot and maybe an assembled shot once I have them closer to playing.

Now... Where did I put that box of Heresy parts? HMMM...

Thank you very much. I've enjoyed working on them.

At this time they have been reassembled although not yet "finished" and are back in the guest room making music.

How about some more photos? First we have an interior shot, an assembled shot, and a backside shot. Yea... I know BORING!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I happen to have 3 different pairs of badges. I am asking for opinions on which ones I should use for the final version of these Heresys. Feel free to chime in with what you think would look the best. The grills are going to be black.

Posted Image

And finally we have them set up and singing in the guest room.

Posted Image

Thanks!!!

True confession time... The stands were built WAY on the cheap. They're not oak at all. They're actually MDF. I glued up scrap MDF strips, cut them down to 2.5" X 2.5" legs and then veneered them with scrap oak veneer. The only cost was a couple of pieces of 3/4" oak doweling and a few felt pads.

It's at times amazing what one can do with LOTS of time an NO money.

All of the venner used on the Heresys was left over from the Cornscala project. Unlike the Cornscalas the Heresys are not wrap around "book matched" but they still look pretty good.

I did learn a lesson from the project. As far as I can tell the 1975 version of 3/4" and the 2011 version differ by almost 1/8". I ended up having to cut edge banding as the commercial version of 3/4" edge banding wasn't even close to being wide enough. Go figure?

very nice work , love the veneer and the stands- very smart setup.

but 55M in a Heresy? Are those original? Not sure Klipsch ever did that combo, thought they went from K55V to K52 when the horns switched out from K700 to K701 (with the add-on snoot adapter for part of a year). Just asking..

Any network changes or just parts swap for modern components?

Michael

Why K-55Ms? Because I had them. They were originally in my La Scalas. When I sold the La Scalas I gave the buyer the option of the 55Ms or 55Vs. He chose the Vs. I swapped them back and forth several times in the LSs and preferred the Ms to the Vs but there was really very little difference between them.

As for the crossover it's a pretty straight forward Type-E with the tweeter cap changed to 4mH and the addition of a 160uH coil in the squawker - line. Bob calls them E/4500.

The original plan was to use the Selenium D-250X at squawker duty. I built the crossovers to that they could easily be swapped back and forth and listened for several days with each in place. In the end the K-55Ms were preferred.

Yesterday I took the Marantz out and put in a little 15w Chinese EL84 integrated amp. I was VERY impressed with what I heard. I spun my copy of GnR Chinese Democracy and sat there saying “WOW just WOW” to no one in particular. I could easily live with this combo as my main system in a smaller room. Could still stand a subwoofer though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a LOT of experimentation I finally came up with a Watco oil "recipe" that gives me a color that I really like. So far only one stand is oiled but I hope to have everything with the first coat by the end of the day.

The one on the left (DUH!) is the one that has had the oil applied.

Posted Image

For the curious the custom color is equal parts Watco Natural, Dark Walnut, Golden Oak and Cherry.

OK... Well that didn't take nearly as long as I thought it was going to. Here they are with the first coat of oil applied. All additional coats (2 or 3) will be Watco Natural with a light sanding (600 grit) or steel wool between coats.

Posted Image

Oh... I changed the badges too. Still deciding on that aspect. Next up is the new grills and some general touch up.

It's been fun...[:D]

Those look fantastic. I love the color, very nice.

Thanks!!!

I liked the color so well that I just finished oiling the plinth on my Pro-Ject 1.2 which I recently veneered with the same blend. So far it looks very good. I'll take a few pictures once the finishing gets a little further along. It'll get a bit better finish all said and done

but 55M in a Heresy

I have two pairs of industrials with M's.

Not saying it's OEM, but anything is possible.

The question is "why not?" I know that Klipsch did not produce Heresys with K-55Ms. I'm OK with that. They spec and sound so much like K-55Vs that there is really no difference between them

I'm not after "historical authenticity" here. I just want a pair of nice looking and more importantly good sounding speakers. Oh... And NOT spend a butt-load of $$ that I don't have in the process.

Those look very nice Jeff, great job!

Thanks Wade!!! I think the Heresys were tucked away in a closet when you were here. You know... One of those "someday" projects.

So how are your Cornscalas coming along? I've been watching for a pictorial about the project.