Swapped a XPA-5 for my UPA-5

Gorm

WOW! The music has impact...even at low DB levels. I was getting clipping on the center channel, but now have none with the XPA.

I have moved the UPA to rear surround and front height duty.

I have read some reviews that say the UPA-5 and XPA-5 are nearly identical, well, obviously not. Although there might be something wrong with the UPA-5. It didn't sound that bad. I just think the RF-7's and RC-7 suck down a lot of power.

• Moderators

WOW! The music has impact...even at low DB levels. I was getting clipping on the center channel, but now have none with the XPA.

I have moved the UPA to rear surround and front height duty.

I have read some reviews that say the UPA-5 and XPA-5 are nearly identical, well, obviously not. Although there might be something wrong with the UPA-5. It didn't sound that bad. I just think the RF-7's and RC-7 suck down a lot of power.

Glad it sounds better, I wonder if you did have something wrong with the UPA-5, unless it was really loud you shouldn't have had clipping.

I don't think an XPA-2 will be possible. I'm running out of room in my homemade rack. :( Besides, the speakers are as loud as I would ever want them. The room is 12x40. I have a shipment of cables from Monoprice coming today to hook up the UPA-5 to the heights and Back Surrounds. I'm sure they will be better off running with the UPA, than off the receiver.

im surprised to hear you have clipping with your center channel. What do you have it crossed at? I have mine crossed at 50hz. I am just surprised because 50hz shouldnt be nomming a shitton of juice in comparison to floorstanders which have depth and need that power. In my experience, any center channel that i have had i needed to set my freq crossover about 5-10hz higher than the listed bottom end. I always found the centers to become raspy and echoish.

The rc-7 would definitely draw more juice than smaller centers but i would think that the power supplied by the upa-5 would be enough for it.

The rf-7's are power hungry monsters especially on full range. The 10's are very tight sounding and probably require extra power to move them because of that. In my eyes, the upa-5 would be great for bookshelf setups. I will always stand by my notion that any speaker will benefit from more power than its recommended RMS but you also need to take into account your actual listening levels. For instance, i am trying to decide what speakers i want for a computer setup. Do i need 200 watts shooting at my ears from 2 feet away, HELL NO. If you have a bookshelf setup and you are in a condo, chances are you wouldnt suck up all 125 watts from the upa-5 per channel.

I am happy to hear that the xpa-5 has brought alive your setup. I have blasted my rf-7's with that amp and it hasnt failed me in performance.

Currently the RC-7 is set 2 db's higer than the RF-7s.

I'm beginning to think a lot of it is the signal. For example, there is a certain spot on the DARK KNIGHT Dvd where a copy yells on his Radio for everyone to go down to avoid hitting a burning firetruck. Part of his voice always seems to "clip", where it is played on the Oppo or on the PS3.

Not sure where teh issues are...I have replaced the following.

Tried New wire between the AMP and center...still clips.

Hooked up center channel info to RF-7..Still Clips

Replaced Reciver...Still Clips

Tried DVD in mulitple sources...still Clips

Replaced Amplifier...No longer clipping.

I'll be doing somore more tests tonight. It occurs to me that I've never posted pics of my system on here. I should probably snap a few.

its amazing how much of source quality plays into what you actually hear and can make you think something is wrong with your setup. Whats the crossover set at? I also dare say it could be the Dean G mod, im not too familar with it, i just know it makes them a bit less bright. something isnt right, there are so many of us that have rf-7's in a similar setup and dont have clipping issues. It could have been that particular amp but i am more guessing your processor could be the culpret or the cables intrlinking items.

Gorm,

I noticed a huge improvment in my 7's when I swapped out UPA-7 for XPA-5. I am actually thinking about XPA-2 for the fronts

Did you do any level-matching tests at a certain SPL? Hmm

No, I did not but I may try that this weekend.

I did notice at 90 + spl the Xpa 5 detail and imaging on the 7's was improved

Did you do any level-matching tests at a certain SPL? Hmm

One thing to note:

It's essential in listening comparisons to match levels to at least
within 0.1dB. A component that's, say, 0.2dB louder than another won't
be heard as being louder. Instead, listeners will comment on greater
apparent detail or better dynamics.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/mark-levinson-no38s-preamplifier-level-matching

As noted in the article, a voltmeter at the power amplifier outputs is the most effective way to accomplish this. SPL meters are generally not accurate enough for the purpose.