K-55:Fiberglass/plywood vs Metal. Whats better?

Was wondering about the K 55 midrange horn in the Klipschorn. I know the older speakers have the K 55 with the Fibergalss top and bottom and plywood sides. The later models have the Metal. Right? Which one is better? More musical? Is one worth more than the other? Any opinions? Thanks. Mark.

The wooden horn is the K-5-J. It was used in the 50s. The Metal horn is the K-400. It was used in the 60s through the 80s sometime. Now, the horn is the K-401, a composite of some kind used since the K-400. The K-55-V was used with the K-5-J and the K-400. The K-55-M was used with the K-400 and K-401. As of this year the "new" K-55-X(?) will be used with the K-401. The K-55-X is essentially the K-55-V. The K-400/401 is said to have less high frequency beaming and a smoother response curve. Others like the sound of the K-5-J better. All of mine have the K-400 and I can't verify any of the claims.

John

soundbug1,

I have four early klipshorns 2 59,s a 58 and 51.

all have the wood and glass midhorn.

I love they way this horn sounds a little smother sounding than the later horns.

The 51 sounds the best to me it has three extra wooden flares in side the horn,which widen the sweet spot.

The 58 has the later k-55 driver and sounds good almost the same as the university driver the other three have.

I would say the early horn are worth more as they are a lot rarer than the later horns.I have on in the decorater style and I love the look of the horn with out its covers.

bug

This is what I have heard - Maybe somebody else has more info.

The Aluminum k-400 horns are sand cast. Much cheaper to produce than layering fiberglass or warping and machining wood. That is why Klipsch moved to them as production grew.

The downside of the Aluminum horns compared to the earlier models, is that they ring at louder volumes. That is why most of us dampen the k-400 horns.

The newest Khorns use the k-401 horn. It is a composite horn with a foam core. They do not ring but sound a little less live than the k400 - IMHO..

On another note - I know of a guy in Madison WI, ( an absolute horn fanatic) who builds his own tweeters and sqwaker horns out of wood. He swears wood is the only material horns should EVER be made out of.

With Khorns I personally like the Aluminum K-400. but that is IMHO...

JM

This message has been edited by j-malotky on 05-11-2002 at 12:32 AM

"The K-400/401 is said to have less high frequency beaming and a smoother response curve. " The K400 has a reduced HF exit angle compared to the K5J, that is to say it beams.That is also why the K400 measures flatter on axis at high frequencies than the K5J, the horn with wider dispersion will measure less HF on axis because the sound is spread out over a wider area.

Some have complained of "ringing" in the metal mid-range horn lenses. Some have used rope caulk applied to the horn lense body to deaden this tendency to "ring"....might I suggest that those who use rope caulk instead try using that liquid rubber that alot of people dip tools into, instead of the rope caulk? Rope caulk will harden and come loose over time, whereas the latex will remain adhered to the horn surface much better over time. Just be sure to clean the surface the rubber is to be applied to well before application.

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

• 6 years later...
Guest David H

This brings up the "which way to align the grain on the horn" syndrome maybe like violins, guitars.

JJK

Honest answer: If you are using woodgrain sides like relieved thin ply, the grain will need be horizontally oriented from throat to mouth. This has little to no effect on the sound, but if the grain is vertical the wood splits when it reaches the turn. I have paid for this mistake more than once.

Audiophile answer: The phase relationship is adversly effected by the opposing grain in the northern hemisphere due to the effects of magnetic north and the earths natural rotation. Therefore the horizontally oriented grain acts as a rudder to counteract these effects and guide the sound from horn to your ears.

Audiophile answer: The phase relationship is adversly effected by the opposing grain in the northern hemisphere due to the effects of magnetic north and the earths natural rotation. Therefore the horizontally oriented grain acts as a rudder to counteract these effects and guide the sound from horn to your ears.

Now that's funny!!![Y][:D]