Pro Amplifier on Klipschs (Crown or Qsc ?)

dtximages

There has been some talk a while ago about using pro amps on big Klipsches.. Im sick and tired of my Marantz receiver shutting off when I really crank it.

I'm using the Klipsch Epic CF3 speakers and sure I drive them hard, but on a good night and on some music I need to get more slam.

I have used a QSC with about 250 wpc on my KG 5.5s and the louder they got the better they sounded.

I want an economical solution to get alot more slam out of these speakers that won't sound like total electronic junk.

Please don't tell me to buy Khorns haha and definitely don't tell me to go out and spend 10k on Mcintosh or like kind equipment.

I'm getting married and don't want to be single again because I bought that... However, if this thing shuts off one more time she may be so unimpressed that she may just leave me anyway. Id leave a guy for that reason too.

So does anyone have any really good things to say about any economical pro equipment that I could get from say Guitar Center?

Thanks!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok thanks for the input. It was the QSC Gx series that I have used before. It was about 250wpc I think. It had alot more headroom yet still a touch on the bright side.

Any opinions on which of these would sound the warmest? I know we're talking about pro amps here but I just thought I'd ask.

Ok thanks for the input. It was the QSC Gx series that I have used before. It was about 250wpc I think. It had alot more headroom yet still a touch on the bright side. Any opinions on which of these would sound the warmest? I know we're talking about pro amps here but I just thought I'd ask.

The PLX2 series, but you'll pay more. I've got 4 PLX2's in my HT, and they're very non-fatiguing. Are you sure you're not thinking of the RMX series?

I know that a lot of people “look down their noses” at them but don’t rule out the Behringer amps. They tend to be very reasonably priced (especially used) and would give you a taste of the pro amp world without dropping a lot of coin. Some folks have a great experience using pro equipment and others wouldn't use it if their lives depended on it.

I had a brief period where I was “between” amplifiers and I used a Behringer EP2500 with my La Scalas. To be honest I was VERY surprised at just how good it was. Enough so that I actually considered NOT buying a new amp. Of course being WAY more power than the La Scalas needed I kept the gain controls on the EP2500 at about 25%.

The only real downside that I found with the EP2500 right out of the box was that the internal fan was really LOUD. It was an easy $20 fix though. I bought a new “silent” fan and replaced the original. Problem solved. While I have no experience with other pro amps beyond the Behringer I have read that many will need some manner of “fan mod” to get the noise levels down to acceptable levels.

Hmm those PLX2's look really nice. Hard to find one for the right price, but I'm going to look for them used. I found a PLX2 1802 for under $500 but im not sure if I shouldn't bump up the power if available.

How would I hook these up to my preamp? There are no RCA inputs. Adapters? Suggestions? Pics? Thanks!

My only experience has been with a QSC PLX 2502. Got it slightly used for $500 a couple weeks ago. Replaced the fan with this one and it's very quiet. After powering various sets of Klipsch around the house I love it. Eventually to be used with RF-7s in my HT, just a bit lazy making room in the cabinet.

How would I hook these up to my preamp?

I got these from Monoprice. They also have longer runs (10'+). The XLR side of the wire has three prongs and I had to clip one to make it work with my UMC-1 (RCA preouts). Here is the thread explaining which one to cut.

Yes....I am the link king.

I'll definitely second the QSC GX series.

GX3, GX5 and now they have the GX7 I think. Bang for buck. Yep. Fairly quiet

(have internal fan). Has RCA inputs so you don't need to mess with adapters and

such. I have an RMX 2450 that I have used on my dual 12" subs, but it was

really overkill. A GX5 will push them hard enough. Which is me trying to say no

reason to spend the bucks on the RMX series when for home use, the GX series is

plenty.

Eventually to be used with RF-7s in my HT

Back when I did HT I had RF-7's all the way around powered by some 500 watt Crown amps. It was fricken awesome. Kinda wish I had that system again. Music would rip your face off......movies effects were phenomenal. Four big ole subs helped out as well but those pro-amps worked great for HT as well as for music.

The fan mod is simple and inexpensive. [Y]

Have you considered a used JBL-Urei 6260? They're locomotives, have 150 honest watts per side, and don't use fans at all. They were designed to minimize Otala or "t.i.m." distortion, which Mr. Klipsch felt was important consideration. They are also roaringly underpriced right now, with several on ebay under $200. About the only flaw is there is no overload protection circuit - when the little red clip lights come on, you might as well start dialing your tweeter repair source.

In real world terms, the difference between 150 watts and 250 isn't all that much - less than 3 dB. I've used mine through KP-301s in a pa application and they managed to overload a room about 35 feet by 75 feet filled with people. I did have trouble with the smaller amps - the Urei equivilent of a Crown D-75 - popping tweeter fuses in the HSMs and HIPs.

The JBLs are kind of old school - no flashing lights and a big transformer. I put two into a road case and then tried to move it. I thought I had accidentally screwed it to the floor.

I'd also recommend a Yamaha 2002, an extremely well thought out, beefed up Hi-Fi amp, with the following caveat: When I called Yamaha to get replacement cord brackets/feet, the first thing the woman on the other end of the line said "It still works?" Not real reassuring.

I'm normally a Crown fanboy, and usually hate Peavey, but the new Peavey IPR series of amplifiers are pretty sweet sounding. I like it better than all the other recommendations thus far, except maybe the K1 or K2. I'd like to hear both side by side to make that judgement call. The biggest downside to the Peavey is the super bright lights that will give you a suntan while lighting up the whole block. I don't remember if the fan comes on at normal levels or not.

Testimonial time: I just bought a QSC GX5 from Guitar center and wow this thing rocks. Granted I have to turn the gains up pretty high to make it match my subwoofer and have to turn my preamp (marantz receiver) up way high to get any volume.... BUT, once I get over 00db on the volume this thing sings!!! Ive been pumping this at full volume and its sooooooooooo loud yet clean! Definitely not fatiguing except for the sheer volume.

My receiver would have cut off a way way long time ago.

I wonder if there would be any sound difference in the Crown or the QSC RMX line. The guy at guitar center said that the RMX is just more rugged for concert use but I'm not sure he knew what he was talking about.

Anyway, what a huge huge difference this amp is making when you want to crank it.. I did not know these CF3s had this much fun in them.

I have been really happy with the QSC PLX 1104 and 1804 I am using for MWM bass cabinet and Titan 48 sub duty. Quiet out the speakers (noisy fan), powerful, and really smooth. I tried on my mid and high frequency horns and the PLX units did not cut it. They don't have the detail of a good home audio amp and so I relegated them to bass and sub duty where I think they serve me well as I needed the power.

Honestly, I still have yet to find any pro amp that comes close to satisfying me on the mid and high frequency side of things. They surely have the power, but all have disappointed me on detail. None of them can match the detail of my old MC-250 and 2100 rebuilds......

I completely lost all confidence in Crown when I bought a pair of Crown XTI-1000 units. Complete junk. I had a borrowed K1 and used it for some time. To me, the QSC units which of course are a lot newer, sounded much clearer. But still all these pro amps will see in my system is bass and sub duty at most.

If you are looking for audiophile clarity on your MF and HF horns............the Pro amps are not where you will find it. Still, they provide good bang for the buck and based on application just might do the trick.

I agree they're probably not "audiophile" quality but this qsc sure is alot better than this cheap marantz receiver I'm using. Its better than the harmon kardon $2700 receiver I have as well.

I think jumping up from reciever power to external amp kinda power is where most of the benefit is coming from.

From here, i could probably work on refinement in the highs/mids. But the jump in improvement last night was enough for now. Plus, right now, my room is not dedicated to listening. There are room mods I should do before I throw money at the smallest details I think.

Klipsch's seem to love lots of power.

Its like ive been driving a porsche through a school zone, it needs to be opened up on the interstate. Alot of the horn harshness seems to have tamed itself too. I was able to listen to celine dion last night and her voice is so sharp!