Tag line length limits?

mustang guy

I have noticed that some people have very long tag lines listing every component of every system they own. I was in that camp until I realized it took a while to scroll past copy after copy of my tag. I decided to list the components of my favorite system, and direct people to my bio to see what else I have. Should this forum's moderators limit the tag line length to force others to be more brief?

I think you are refering to the "Signature" as the Tags are a completely different part of the post. Some new members Tag every subject or iten in the forum.

I doubt the Moderstors want to FORCE anyone to do anything. Some members are very proud of what they have acquired/accomplished and like to list it all room by room. Also, what would the limit of the Signature line be? The people that have very long Sgnatures know who they are and will adjust them if they want. I don't think we need tp have any Signature Police......!

There are other areas that probably need more attention; Like posting to every new thread on the Forum with [bs] post.

I have noticed that some people have very long tag lines listing every component of every system they own...I realized it took a while to scroll past...

I believe that you've got it right on that point. [:-*]

i've also heard the comments about listing your gear as nothing more than a shopping list for would-be thieves (public forum, anyone with a little free time could piece together enough information to find someone of interest) ..which is why i'll also be listing the contents of my gun safe and latest target percentages. :)

..which is why i'll also be listing the contents of my gun safe and latest target percentages. :)

Sign on neighbor's workshop: "This building is protected by Smith & Wesson three days a week. You get to guess which days... " [Y]
  • Like 1

I completely agree!!! I often access this site on a phone and it gets damn frustrating to have to scroll past 5 pages of signature for a 10 word post. It's completely ridiculous, IMO.

And I do have an opinion, as I've maintained and administered more than a few public forums. I have ALWAYS put a limit on sig length and up until recently, I wouldn't let people put images in the sig either. On the one board left that I do admin, there is certainly a signature length limit.

Even as much as it bugs me here, can you imagine if more than half the people here put that long of sig in, then it would certainly be addressed. The only reason it's allowed here is that only a few have the multi-page sig.

And to the gentlemen who said it saves a few clicks when wanting to see the persons' equip list. I'd wager that you've clicked about 100x more clicks just trying to get past the 1000 character sig, thus severely putting you at a loss as far as clicks are concerned.

Now, my last comment would be - what are these people thinking, with sigs that stretch 2-3 pages (of screen)? I mean, is it just that they don't realize how annoying it is to scroll past their sig 5 times in a 10 post thread? Or is it that they just don't care or that they are so proud that the long sig is a status symbol? (I think this is really the truth).

It would be so much more considerate to just put all this in your profile and let people click ONCE to see it.

Whew, I had to get that off my chest, it's been a sore topic for many years for me.

EDIT: Please, people with long sigs, don't take offense - nothing personal, I'm just normally pretty critical of those long sigs.

And to the gentlemen who said it saves a few clicks when wanting to see the persons' equip list. I'd wager that you've clicked about 100x more clicks just trying to get past the 1000 character sig, thus severely putting you at a loss as far as clicks are concerned.

Actually, you don't have to click to scroll past a sig. It takes me virtually no time at all. Clicking over to a users account however does take time as it involves a page change, then another change to get back.

way back when i worked in I.T. there was a dickbag that calculated how many extra clicks it took to perform basic tasks in Lotus Notes vs. Outlook (we were on LN and he desperately wanted to use Outlook), and how many hours of productivity were lost per week as a result of those extra clicks.

with touch sensitive devices, scrolling really isn't that big of a deal. also with touch sensive devices (and pads, in the case of laptops), clicking is pretty non-existent, and I'm sure somone has done a study somewhere about the positive effects on one's central nervous system by the reduced finger strain needed to tap rather than click. don't even get me started on scroll wheels.

I'm curious about the two to three page Sig.... there is really only ONE very long Signature on the Forum that I know of and he certainly knows about it. It is totally HIS choice whether he wants to change it or not. It really doesn't bother me as much as people giving advice for every thread that is written. NO one has THAT much experience with ALL of the equipment that is available.....Some just like to increase their respective post counts or stay on the list of most ACTIVE posters.

I can see that if they are reading email on a BlackBerry and THAT is tedious for regular email. One of the reasons that I stopped getting email on my phone, as I spent way too much time scrolling.

I'm curious about the two to three page Sig.... there is really only ONE very long Signature on the Forum that I know of and he certainly knows about it. It is totally HIS choice whether he wants to change it or not....

Of course it's his choice if he wants to change it but maybe he doesn't know how obnoxious it is to some of us....

As a ZEN Traveler, you should be more tollerant of your fellow man.........Believe me....HE KNOWS....!

There are many more things in life to get your panties in a WAD over......Perhaps less computer time would soothe the wound of a long Signature line.

Whoa! I responded legitimately to a thread and your reply was to give me demeaning off-topic posting advice? [bs]

I was NOT the one to call a fellow Forum member's Signature, Obnoxious "To some of US".

Is the "US" some type of Clique on here...? Sorry that you took ofence.............

Apology excepted and no, the "US" refers to the people responding to the topic of this thread, that extremely long tag lines makes navigating the forum tough for some of us.