Any Interest in a Multichannel Music Forum?

Zen Traveler

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently purchased some SACD's(Thanks Jeff Hoak) and find myself enjoying them more and more. The definition and dynamics are incredible.

These are what I got from Jeff:

Elton John---GBYBR

Dire Straits---Brothers in Arms 20th Anniversay Deition

Norah Jones---Come Away with Me

Eric Clapton---Slowhand

Eric Clapton---461 Ocean Boulevard

No DVD-A's yet but this Lynyrd Skynyrd set is looking pretty good. I definitely want to add to my multichannel music collection. My NAD pre/pro does a fantastic job with multichannel music.

Thanks for the heads up,

Bill

EDIT NOTE: On this purposed Multichannel Music Forum folks could talk about their success converting two channel to multichannel and that also could spark some interest...Ya know, which formats work best, etc....

I listen to everything in 9 channels be 2 channel stereo, 5.1 7.1 ... I have 9 channels of amps & 9 speakers , I want them all in use

If I have convert them up then so be it .

It just sounds better to me using all my Horns at once ..

I listen to everything in 9 channels be 2 channel stereo, 5.1 7.1 ... I have 9 channels of amps & 9 speakers , I want them all in use...

Hey Fast, which DSP program do you use for 2-channel into Multichannel? Fwiw, I don't listen to much 2 channel anymore but definitely like converting 5.1 to 7.1 using only my Denon's matirixing function on surround.

I listen to everything in 9 channels be 2 channel stereo, 5.1 7.1 ... I have 9 channels of amps & 9 speakers , I want them all in use...

Hey Fast, which DSP program do you use for 2-channel into Multichannel? Fwiw, I don't listen to much 2 channel anymore but definitely like converting 5.1 to 7.1 using only my Denon's matirixing function on surround.

I use my Onkyo TX-NR1009 as to how it does it , that I'm not sure but it & my Onk 5008 were the same . I can use my Onk to listen to 2 channel in Audyssey DSX & the other listening modes matrixed to the 9 channels while it sounds cool with the separation effect it lacks a Full ,Thick sound stage but for a 2 channel source it sounds best to me using the "all channel stereo mode " I get a full stereo effect & the sweet spot is greatly widened . On my Grateful Dead live show sound boards ,I get a sound that makes me feel like I'm back at a live Dead show again, enveloping !

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since there doesn't appear to be enough consensus that we need a seperate forum let's post our recommendations here.Geeked

Fwiw, I started a thread on AVS about The Fixx's 1011 Woodland DVD-A and didn't want to leave you guys out: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1425842/the-fixx-1011-woodland-dvd-a Yes

I had two posts in a row and didn't want this recommendation to get lost on the previous page. [H] Also, Walmart is carrying the 3 disk set of Lynyrd Sknyrd's "Southern Surroundings," which has a DVD-A for $11.88 and also is getting rave reviews... Multichannel music isn't dead yet! [:P]

It seems you need to check on a regular basis...On one day they seem to have it and the next they don't. I don't understand how that works given it's supposed to be a Walmart Exclusive and it's been a while since Lynyrd Skynyrd has been popular. Heck, I can't imagine that many people realize it's been released and I wouldn't have known to look for it if not for the AVS Forum's Surround Music Section.

Granted I skimmed not read the whole thread but I have been going the other way. While my HT is 7.1 Quartet, Heresy, I have found lately that I have been spending more time in my 2 ch room with DVD / BD down mixed to just 2 ch and I have been enjoying it a lot also. Just saying, I think that a HQ sorce is more important than how many Ch it uses. YMMV![:S]

There are several threads floating around in several forums about DVD-Audio and SACDs but not anywhere they actually fit except possibly in Home Theater. We could include DTS multichannel disks as well as Concerts on DVD and Blu-ray. I realize that we are a niche group but this is where 85% of my listening pleasure comes from and there are a myriad of topics we could discuss. If this is something you are interested in please post your thoughts and maybe Amy and Klipsch will give it a shot...Thanks.

Maybe the easiest way into this is to set up a thread within the HT section that is something like the "Right this Minute" threads, but entitled something like "Multi-channel music disk reviews (MULTI-CHANNEL ONLY)" which would encourage the thread contributors to discuss the pros/cons of the disks, rather than just taking a picture of the disk booklet front and commenting on the like-dislikes of the music itself...for example:

Title:
, Elton John, SACD-Surround, 2004, Island Records,
ASIN:
B00064X3EA Amazon.com, $16.17 (new)

Review:

Pros:
The audio fidelity of this disk improves upon the 2-channel versions of the disk in greatly improved sense of listener envelopment with an apparent sound image width particularly greater than the width of the fronts, and most spectacularly, the clarity of the individual voices which have been mixed separately into the surround and center channels individually. Instruments and voices that have not been able to be heard are now mixed to separate channels, and which provide a unique listening experience not found in the 2-channel versions heard to date.
The bonus tracks are both listenable and on par with the quality of the original tracks, adding significant value to the overall experience. I find it pleasant to listen to the disk in its entirety without pause or editing out of any tracks.

Cons:
The overall loudness of this recording is much higher than 2-channel mode recording, by as much as 15 dB pre-amp volume setting, but this increase in relative gain does not in any way detract from the quality or fidelity of the listening experience.

Equipment and room used for review:
(See profile)

Rating
: Highly recommended (*****)

Value:
Very high--collector quality (*****)

Chris

I'll post wherever you guys want to post. I thought we could do that here and tried a while back in a thread called Can you dig it:

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/78901.aspx?PageIndex=1

How many of you are fortunate enough to be corresponding with us while appreciating your Klipsch Home Theaters?
Right now I am listening to the DVD-Audio, Speaking in Tongues by the Talking Heads and the Multi channel remix of Burning down the House is rockin' Cool [H]
Anyone else?

There are several threads floating around in several forums about DVD-Audio and SACDs but not anywhere they actually fit except possibly in Home Theater. We could include DTS multichannel disks as well as Concerts on DVD and Blu-ray. I realize that we are a niche group but this is where 85% of my listening pleasure comes from and there are a myriad of topics we could discuss. If this is something you are interested in please post your thoughts and maybe Amy and Klipsch will give it a shot...Thanks.

Has this thread ever evolved in another part of the forum? I'm interested in: 2.1, 5.1, multichannel music.