One more SPUD build "They call me Tater"

Pete H

This has really got my mental wheels spinning! I built a "tuba table" for my La Scalas, and ever since I have been thinking how fun it would be to add a big sub to the basement k-horns. This build looks a lot easier than the Tuba HT, and from what I have read should have similar performance. I am looking forward to reading your thoughts once you get it fired up. One thing I would have to figure out before I built one would be how to hook it into my k-horn system. The amp I am using is an integrated 8 watt tube amp with no sub out. I am not sure how I would be able to control the sub output with this setup. Keep posting pics!!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got the confirmation from Parts Express so looks like I should be able to get this finished up this weekend. I also picked up some poly fill that is like a blanket about 1" thick and listed for quilting so I have the choice on what I'll dampen the cabinet with. I also stopped by the local rat shack that is selling out and picked up an spl meter for 70% off, or about $15.00 so I'm going to try and play with my software and other measurement tools tonight to see if I can actually measure something.

This has really got my mental wheels spinning! I built a "tuba table" for my La Scalas, and ever since I have been thinking how fun it would be to add a big sub to the basement k-horns. This build looks a lot easier than the Tuba HT, and from what I have read should have similar performance. I am looking forward to reading your thoughts once you get it fired up. One thing I would have to figure out before I built one would be how to hook it into my k-horn system. The amp I am using is an integrated 8 watt tube amp with no sub out. I am not sure how I would be able to control the sub output with this setup. Keep posting pics!!

I won't have a "tuba table" to compare it to, but we will be running this against a version of the "tuba ht" and RSW. I hope to have the rest of the pics up this weekend.

Looks to be going great, Aren't those Rigid Tools the greatest! Do you have the lifetime battery warranty? 18 or 24?

It's moving right along and just waiting on the drivers. All my cordless are now Rigid and they have been great and I'm really a Bosch guy but in cordless these have been better than any Bosch or Dewalt that I've ever owned and yes with the lifetime warranty on the batteries and they're 24 volt but can run the 18's. Tonight I'm pulling out all the equipment that I think I need to test with and I think I'm going to start a dedicated thread for me and other dumb as*'s that don't have a clue where to begin to test because I'm reading a lot of different threads about it, but I'll post the picture here with what I have and list the software and see where it goes because I don't know where to begin.

Dayton EMM-6 Mic

Behringer 1832 FX Mixing Board

Rat Shack Sound Level Meter (70% off today, going out of business sale)

Behringer UCA Audio control

Not Pictured Acer Laptop with dual core 2.0 cpu 4 G ram Running Vista Home Premium and whatever sound card is built in. [:P]

Also not pictured are many cables and connectors and adapters that I'm sure won't be the right ones and I'll have to go get something.

post-34280-13819685115212_thumb.jpg

Pete,

If you are using REW, just follow the directions on how to hook it up. You can use your current speakers to test the setup and make sure you are at least getting reasonable readings. If at all possible, test the sub outside so you don't have room boundary issues with your initial readings.

Have fun.

Pete,

If you are using REW, just follow the directions on how to hook it up. You can use your current speakers to test the setup and make sure you are at least getting reasonable readings. If at all possible, test the sub outside so you don't have room boundary issues with your initial readings.

Have fun.

REW is Room EQ right? I think there was some sort of conflict with Vista when I tried this the first time, but I'm game and we'll see what happens.

• Moderators

I was told you get the best readings if you can take the sub outside, and hang it from a tree. You or maybe just hold it up over your head.

[:o] That's funny right there.

Better pick a strong branch to hang the Spud, probably run off all the birds. [:D]

I was told you get the best readings if you can take the sub outside, and hang it from a tree. You or maybe just hold it up over your head.

Surprise That's funny right there.

Better pick a strong branch to hang the Spud, probably run off all the birds. Big Smile

You know, I try and be so kind and serious on this forum all the time and I have to put up with all of this harsh and demeaning treatment; I just don't understand how I deserve this. [:'(] LMAO, You're right, that there is funny, but I'll bet there's someone on this forum that could support the validity of that test to get the best results.[;)]

Update; Tang Band's arrived today so if all goes well, I will be done for testing this weekend when I've got a little time to work on it, after capping off some water lines, running a new gas line for the stove, some insulation so the new pipes don't freeze, some tear out in the basement, laying out a new stairwell, cutting kitchen cabinet panels; oh hell, I need to get my priorities straight; I'll get the speaker done. There will be pictures by the end of the day Saturday and the little women will just have to understand.

Pete, you're working entirely too fast. You're making us wood butchers look badEmbarrassed.

Those little TB drivers are pretty cool aren't they?

they are very cool, but going so fast, I came up with a mental stumbling block that could be a really stupid question, but I'm going to ask it because I don't know the answer. Which side of the motor board does the factory gasket mount to????? I was just rolling along and cutting the holes to mount them and went; Dahhh, Logic told me that the gasket needs to compress and seal when I mount the driver, but the gasket is about 5/8" thick and even torquing down on T bolts won't compress all of that or do I just mount it from the rear ( would that just be called doggie style [6]) in which case the gasket really does nothing? Here's the picture that would show the doggie mount which would compress the gasket, but I would prefer to mount it from the front, (we will refer to that as the bag can be off of her head method) because it gives me more tolerance on the small internal angled piece. This is a serious question that I didn't even consider when I built the split cornscala's (Non bag mounting method), but now I'm wanting to know why there's only a gasket on one side.

post-34280-13819685180546_thumb.jpg

Pete,

What you need to ensure, is that once the sub is completely sealed you can still replace each woofer if you ever needed to. That is, you must be able to remove the woofers using only the access panel. That should dictate how you mount them. I added some thin, sticky, foam insulation to the woofer that did not use the woofer's foam to compress. I will upload my mount.

post-10337-13819685183486_thumb.jpg

I will upload my mount.

Pete,

What you need to ensure, is that once the sub is completely sealed you can still replace each woofer if you ever needed to. That is, you must be able to remove the woofers using only the access pane. That should dictate how you mount them. I added some think, sticky, foam insulation to the woofer that did not use the woofer's foam to compress. I will upload my mount.

Thanks Rudy, I got so wrapped up in which way was right that I didn't even consider having to get to the drivers in the future; but I'm not going to say a word about you uploading your mount. [:P]

Pete,

One more thing. Regarding the driver that does compress its surround material, make real sure the plywood cutout is smooth and large enough to NOT interfere with the driver's movement. Besides possible performance problems, rough edges and or cuts could damage the woofer cone.

As stated, the driver actually will completely compress the gasket. I just kept going round and round the driver tightening a little at a time untill it was flat. This pic shows the driver before it was bolted down and how it had to be mounted from this particular side. (I can't figure out how to put a pic in PM).

post-15193-13819685203216_thumb.jpg