Tube Professionals

Guest Teresa Wright

Guest Teresa Wright

Hello all, looking for someone that can work/restore my Bell 2419 FM Tuner and Bell 2420 Amplifier. I am checking locally, but not optimistic about finding anyone. I was given Craig Ostby's name from someone on Audio/Karma.org, said he is a member here? I am located in Eastern Idaho, willing to travel if needed-SLC is 3 1/2 hours.

Thanks [8]

Hello all, looking for someone that can work/restore my Bell 2419 FM Tuner and Bell 2420 Amplifier. I am checking locally, but not optimistic about finding anyone. I was given Craig Ostby's name from someone on Audio/Karma.org, said he is a member here? I am located in Eastern Idaho, willing to travel if needed-SLC is 3 1/2 hours.

Thanks Music

Idaho? That's impossible! I thought I was the only member here from idaho. Jeesh!

Check out your local guitar amp places. Many of the techs who work on tube type guitar amps are also audiophiles who are well versed in restoration of vintage tube electronics for the home. You should have no problem locating a competent technician in your local area so you can avoid potential shipping damage.

I also recommend Craig. I've had work down by him, as well as many others here, with zero complaints. His craftsmanship is superior to just about any body.

As far as shipping goes, simply wrap the entire amp in several layers of the large bubble wrap and insert into a box. Leave all the tubes in place. Then get a slightly larger box and line that with the rigid foam you will find in the insulation area of any Home Depot, Lowes etc.

This is a pretty little amp, using 6v6 power tubes. Here's a link to some pictures those viewing this thread.

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=7030

Guest Teresa Wright

Yep, that is about the only info I can find on the Amp. Absolutely nothing on the Tuner. I am going to call the music places in town today and see if they can work on them. I would love to have it done locally, for obvious reasons. If not, I will contact Craig.

Yep, that is about the only info I can find on the Amp. Absolutely nothing on the Tuner. I am going to call the music places in town today and see if they can work on them. I would love to have it done locally, for obvious reasons. If not, I will contact Craig.

Didn't realize that you are having so much trouble finding someone. The tuner restoration is quite routine and can be handled by any experienced antique radio restorer. I believe Jeff Webster is in Twin Falls and he restores just about anything with tubes:

http://www.vintagetunesradios.com/aboutus.html

Guest Teresa Wright

Perfect!!! My little brother is a Paramedic in Twin Falls, and I had talked to him about this stuff, and he knows a "guy"-Well, that "guy" is Jeff Webster!! I just got off the phone with my brother, he is at work, and Jeff is the Supervisor. I may be going to Twin Falls in the near future, weather permitting. It is trying to snow today. This could be good.

Thanks to all of you for your help, this is a great forum!!

Perfect!!! My little brother is a Paramedic in Twin Falls, and I had talked to him about this stuff, and he knows a "guy"-Well, that "guy" is Jeff Webster!! I just got off the phone with my brother, he is at work, and Jeff is the Supervisor. I may be going to Twin Falls in the near future, weather permitting. It is trying to snow today. This could be good. Thanks to all of you for your help, this is a great forum!!

I bet you are proud that your baby brother turned out to be a professional hero. [:)]

Perfect!!! My little brother is a Paramedic in Twin Falls, and I had talked to him about this stuff, and he knows a "guy"-Well, that "guy" is Jeff Webster!! I just got off the phone with my brother, he is at work, and Jeff is the Supervisor. I may be going to Twin Falls in the near future, weather permitting. It is trying to snow today. This could be good.
Thanks to all of you for your help, this is a great forum!!

Glad things are getting worked out for you! An often overlooked source of very competent restoration folks is the antique radio restorers. On the whole their attention to detail is astounding, many are inveterate tube amp users, and groups/clubs abound across the country (the NJ Antique Radio Club even hosts restoration clinics at which the public is invited to bring in their tube equipment for restoration and repair). Remember, old radios all have audio sections! In fact, many of the console radios of the 30s and 40s contained audio amplifiers with amazing performance (in particular Zenith, Philco, and Scott consoles often contained audio amplifier sections with breathtaking sound quality). Be sure to post again after Jeff gets your equipment back in shape!

Guest Teresa Wright

Yes, I will be calling him today. Funny you mention old radios, I have my grandmother's beautiful old Zenith stereo-I wanted it as a piece of furniture. Well, I looked at it yesterday, and it is all tubes too! Maybe later on that one. I will for sure let you know when they are done.

Guest Teresa Wright

No, I'm just glad he knows someone to possibly fix my stuff!! Just kidding, He is an awesome little brother, and does wonderful work. Secretly glad this guy is in Twin, I would much rather drive to drop off my stuff-then I can see my little brother-rather than ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Teresa Wright

Well, I talked to my brother in Twin yesterday, and I am going down probably next week to drop them off with Jeff Webster. I have talked to Jeff and sounds like a pretty nice guy, he isn't gonna charge me anything to look at them. I won a bid on e-bay for a pair of KG 1.5, didn't really want them (I want some Heresy's) so I will use them with the tube stuff until I get some proper speakers. Thanks again all for the help, hopefully have them up and running soon.

Yes. Very soon.

They're pretty special. Custom built stands, a complete reveneer in red oak, new grills, CT125 tweeters and custom built E/4500 crossovers. I did make new backs for them so that I could use more "modern" binding posts. I still have the original backs though.

I'm working on wrapping up the new grills today.

They're about the closest thing to brand new OO Heresy 1s that you're going to get without having a time machine handy. [:D]

I'll send you a PM before I post them to see if you're still interested.

THANX!

P.S. Forgot to metion... I'm driving up to Oviedo either Saturday or Sunday the 24th or 25th to visit with another forum member. If you decide that you want them I could bring them with me. I'm not shipping them anywhere.