Define "Dealer"

Guest " "

I'm noticing some posts by individuals who only post to sell stuff....at pretty high prices. Would that make them a "dealer'. Im surprised these guys have not been trampled on yet.

I have posted a lot of stuff for sale, some of my prices were too high; I am no dealer.

A dealer is someone that sold me stuff just after high school (I was a late bloomer). A dealer has a bizness license and sells to support himself. A person that buys and then posts on forums just to sell at a profit (flipping) is a .....not a nice person.

We have agreed not to post our opinions on the price of things for sale.

Yup, they are peddlers pure and simple. Every time I've bothered to try and chase them away people complain I'm going against the rules or something. Oh well, the forum's run by a mercantile company, so I've given up on it.

Just watch yourself, there's sharks swimming in those waters. Someday, somebody whose been probably kicked off Ebay is going to take somebody for good money on a bogus product..

I guess its too subjective.....in my mind....an individual who frequents only the garage sale section offering high ticket items...while at the same time having a wide ebay portfolio in high end audio gear...is a dealer....who are not supposed to be operating out of the garage sale section.

post-22082-13819687308996_thumb.jpg

Mike,

I still can not get ober the guy that came on here looking to buy up all of the available Heritage speakers to "ADD" to his collection, while he maintained a HUGE eBay store (SellItNow) moving them at a high price. His excuse was something about helping out Widows and Estates to move product....Did he really think we were that stupid, WTF....? He acted like he was offend that we would question his motives and integrity....THAT is a FLIPPER................!

Mike,

I still can not get ober the guy that came on here looking to buy up all of the available Heritage speakers to "ADD" to his collection, while he maintained a HUGE eBay store (SellItNow) moving them at a high price. His excuse was something about helping out Widows and Estates to move product....Did he really think we were that stupid, WTF....? He acted like he was offend that we would question his motives and integrity....THAT is a FLIPPER................!

I think he's back. There's a guy with 17 post only in the garage sale section to either post his khorns, belle's , cornwalls, or to make low ball offers to folks selling the same. he has listings on ebay as well. He hasn't been snagged yet as a dealer. I'm not going to reply to his listings because doing so would be a forum rule violation. I went thru his post count and he's been posting quite a few pairs of Heritage things. Now he says stuff like, "refinished and ready to go". Only problem is his prices are double what a good forum price would be and tripple what a craigslist price would be. BTW, there's no restrictions in the garage sale section about flippers....only dealers. So maybe a dealer is someone who has to charge sales tax and a flipper is someone who does not?

Mike,

I think he's back. There's a guy with 17 post only in the garage sale section to either post his khorns, belle's , cornwalls, or to make low ball offers to folks selling the same. he has listings on ebay as well. He hasn't been snagged yet as a dealer. I'm not going to reply to his listings because doing so would be a forum rule violation. I went thru his post count and he's been posting quite a few pairs of Heritage things. Now he says stuff like, "refinished and ready to go". Only problem is his prices are double what a good forum price would be and tripple what a craigslist price would be. BTW, there's no restrictions in the garage sale section about flippers....only dealers. So maybe a dealer is someone who has to charge sales tax and a flipper is someone who does not?
Won't that work itself out when the overpriced gear doesn't sell because anyone that's been on here for any amount of time has a pretty good idea of what the reasonable price range of a given item is? I don't make to many comments about what someone is asking for something or what they paid for it unless I think they got a great deal or if someone is really outside the box on the asking price, but then again, I don't have any ulterior motive on this forum, even though I've sold a couple items and purchased a couple items.

Flippers are flippers..... But if what they are flipping is also listed elsewhere in conjunction with a business (brick or cyber), then they are a business and should not be allowed to post in the Garage Sale area.

Problem is, how do you know? Unless they get "weak" and post a link or reference their true colors, so to speak, there's no way to really (objectively...) say they are a business. The sellitnow guy is a gray area (pretty dark...) but the conditions and parameters for the sale appear to be benevolent. His method of sales, however, certainly sparked the controversy.

Sometimes you have to temper the outrage, or the "black and white", with the potential benefit to Forum members if the prices are reasonable, etc. It's a weird situation, to be sure, and what one sees as a direct violation, may be a great resource to another.... Subjective it has become....

Mike,

You know, ....it is a fine line between a Dealer, a Flipper and someone that buys speakers and refurbishes them. I was probably OK with this guy up until he posted (seemed like desperation) in Boxx's For Sale thread. Boxx has an outstanding price on his Belles and they should go to someone (Forum Member?) that will get some use out of them, rather than turning them for a quick profit. That is solely MY opinion and I think it is great that this Forum provides the vehicle to put great speakers in the hands of people that will get use and enjoyment out of them, at a very fair price. On the other hand, what is wrong with buying relatively cheap and then turning aroond and selling them for a profit? Many business have been doing this for years, we just choose to call ir Retail Sales. The problem is, it appears that someone is trying to make a profit off of the Forum Members (Most are friends in some way) and that turns a lot of people completely off and even to the point it makes some people mad. It is a VERY slippery slope.....To be continued.......

Sometimes you have to temper the outrage, or the "black and white", with the potential benefit to Forum members if the prices are reasonable, etc. It's a weird situation, to be sure, and what one sees as a direct violation, may be a great resource to another.... Subjective it has become....

Great post and it goes along with what I was saying.........!!!!!!!!!!

Take myself for example......Over the years, I have probably rebuilt/refurbished 15 to 20 sets of Heritage speakers (Klipschorns, La Scalas, Cornwalls and Heresy's) some for myself and most for others. Did I make a profit........probably not, did I charge for my time.....certainly...! Do I advertise on this Forum....ABSOLUTELY NOT......! For the very reason of being labeled as someone that is trying to make any kind of profit for selling Heritage speakers. Am I a dealer NO, am I a Flipper....I certainly do not consider myself one, as what I do is by request only or for myself, but I am a DIY'er with some skills and that to me makes a difference, as I am able to help someone else get a (what I consider) beautiful set of speakers at not much additional cost over buying a used set. Do I charge enough for my labor...HELL NO, but I totally enjoy what I am doing.......To Be Continued......

W. C.