1/2 cup chicken stock

2 cloves garlic chopped

2 jalapenos seeded and chopped

1 teaspoon sugar

1 teaspoon fresh lime juice

1/2 cup chopped cilantro

2 teaspoons salt

Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Put it all in a blender until smooth, and adjust seasoning as desired.

Use as a dipping sauce or all purpose salsa for enchiladas, grilled chicken and fish.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Tigerman, I know you two are vegetarian, or it seems, so I wanted to tell you what we did many years ago almost accidently.

Our brother in law gave us a wok for christmas one year and we loved it, I started collecting chinese and japanese cook books and trying all the recipes. We quickly realized the meat was not a big part of the flavor for many of the dishes so we just removed it, mainly for convenience. It made no difference really as far as taste, and we ate no meat for the most part for probably 6 months while trying many of the recipes.

It was for no other reason than convenience, over time we got away from many of those dishes and slowly went back to more variety, although we still both love chinese or japanese food we cook it much less since it's quite the job to cook like that.    

I only say this because for one, I love meat, but I can see how it could be no problem to be vegetarian when done right.   

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Tomatillo Salsa

4 cloves garlic minced

4 scallions chopped

about 1 pound tomatillos husked, cored, 1/4 inch diced

tablespoon chopped cilantro

3 serrano chiles, seeded and diced

2 teaspoons fresh lime juice

Salt to taste

Both of those look good, I know nothing about mexican or tex mex food, outside of a restaurant and a menu. 

• Like 1

While I'm at it, this one really rocks:

Avocado-Tomatillo Salsa

2 large avocados, medium dice

1 teaspoon diced red bell pepper

1 teaspoon diced green bell pepper

1 tablespoon diced scallion

4 tomatillos, husked, rinsed and diced

1 clove garlic, minced

2 tablespoons cilantro leaves

2 serrano chiles seeded and diced

2 teaspoons fresh lime juice

3 tablespoons olive oil

Salt to taste

Combine avocados, bell peppers, scallion, and half the tomatillos in a large mixing bowl.

Place the garlic, cilantro, serranos, lime juice,and the other half of tomatillos in a blender, until smooth.

Slowly drizze in the olive oil.  Pour this puree into the bowl and combine thoroughly, season with salt and let sit for 30 minutes.  use with pretty much any savory dish.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dtel said:

I have seen picture of the plants, didn't know they were edible, what kind of flavor do they have ? 

A little acidic which is why I included them . Plus they were the scraps from the chili verde I made as well .

IMG_2802.jpg

2 lbs ground pork

serrano peppers

chopped onion

chopped garlic

3 large tomatillos diced

Great on it's own but has a variety of uses .

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for posting today! 

dTel.....  Yes, have been a 'near' vegetarian since 1995...   This just means I do sea meat and dairy - the extent of ANY animal product.  Else, all veggies............however, the smell of meat doesn't effect..  Last Easter, I was sacked with grilling $170 (2 legs of lamb  from Whole Foods!)...   I was fine with that..

It was good for you to try new things and a little less meat......as you found, it is good tasting WITHOUT the beef or what have you...

Chris has drifted from vegetarian over the past couple of years...   He has me cooking his 'scrapple' every Saturday when we do up big breakfasts!   My only deal with that is, it gets cooked outside on the  grill's side burner!   I was out there a couple weeks ago, 18 degrees!, this past weekend, I was out there while it was snowing!!    Well, anything to keep that smell from wrecking the house for a week :o

Now, speaking of cooking and Asian dishes...........tonight I am doing up a veggie Pad Thai...  I have cooked it up in the traditional fashion, but,  have lately put my own spin on it...   'Some' photos in a bit, as it is all just starting now...

Looks like a good dish Mike.........time for a camera upgrade, just can't see the details of the dish..........sorry  :ph34r:

I'm still working on mine, taking photos of the usual steps..........be a little while yet...

Enjoy your dish :emotion-21:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tigerman said:

Looks like a good dish Mike.........time for a camera upgrade, just can't see the details of the dish..........sorry  :ph34r:

I'm still working on mine, taking photos of the usual steps..........be a little while yet...

Enjoy your dish :emotion-21:

lens was dirty & steamed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

lens was dirty & steamed.

Yup, that will do it :D   I just checked mine to make sure it was clear......good to go!   

If you feel up to it,  DO add some photos tonight's dish, we would all be happy to see :) !   But, I understand if you want to take some time off....... 

17 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

Yup, that will do it :D   I just checked mine to make sure it was clear......good to go!   

If you feel up to it,  DO add some photos tonight's dish, we would all be happy to see :) !   But, I understand if you want to take some time off....... 

IMG_20170214_184656.jpg

IMG_20170214_185230_hdr.jpg

• Like 1

Ok my fellow foodies..............time for showing what is going on 'Right This Minute' in the kitchen.   Promised the Pad Thai dish, and the photos will be forth coming..

Here on the bamboo board, the vegges and tofu (extra firm) are cut and ready...........Zucchini and fresh broccoli, sweet oniIMG_2840.jpgon...  

1 hour ago, Tigerman said:

Thanks everyone for posting today! 

dTel.....  Yes, have been a 'near' vegetarian since 1995...   This just means I do sea meat and dairy - the extent of ANY animal product.  Else, all veggies............however, the smell of meat doesn't effect..  Last Easter, I was sacked with grilling $170 (2 legs of lamb  from Whole Foods!)...   I was fine with that..

It was good for you to try new things and a little less meat......as you found, it is good tasting WITHOUT the beef or what have you...

Chris has drifted from vegetarian over the past couple of years...   He has me cooking his 'scrapple' every Saturday when we do up big breakfasts!   My only deal with that is, it gets cooked outside on the  grill's side burner!   I was out there a couple weeks ago, 18 degrees!, this past weekend, I was out there while it was snowing!!    Well, anything to keep that smell from wrecking the house for a week :o

Now, speaking of cooking and Asian dishes...........tonight I am doing up a veggie Pad Thai...  I have cooked it up in the traditional fashion, but,  have lately put my own spin on it...   'Some' photos in a bit, as it is all just starting now...

so your a vegi, not a vegan..

...two of my key ingredients and commonly used in Asian cooking....   These came from an Asian market down in South Carolina, which we visit each time we go down south do visit my dad...   We also stock up on the rice pasta while there too!  IMG_2841.jpg