Fine Food and Music

Boxx

12 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

Yes Mike..........although many dishes done around here ARE vegan, as is tonight's dish.....   ok, time to drain the rice pasta...  More shortly.....

you made some fish the other night..

what did hou make ? I'm wishing for sea bass

Mike, that fish was a quick 'processed' dinner from the freezer, but the mashed potatoes were scratch....    OK, here we go...

Tonight's Pad Thai with a little twist on the ingredients  (more like a few omissions, and additions to take the place of...)

Here, garlic and XVOO in the  8" sauce pan...  This is where the extra firm tofu will be sautéed...IMG_2842.jpg...TOFU IN.....IMG_2843.jpg..Black bean sweet soy added...IMG_2844.jpg

• Like 1

...our kitchen actually is two in one!, this is my workstation, complete with its own range hood....showing the two dishes on a German made buffet unit.....IMG_2854.jpg...Sweet Black bean soy goes IN....IMG_2855.jpg...followed by the beloved Three Crab brand fish sauce....:emotion-21:...IMG_2856.jpg

• Like 3

..more ingredients...   Here, the genuine 'made in Thailand' Rice Sticks pasta........nothing but rice and water pasta...  Fresh cilantro and organic, roasted peanuts..IMG_2857.jpg...on over on the gas range, the pasta water is poured into a 12 inch sauté pan, and for some reason, I really like using it for this purpose as well.... IMG_2858.jpg..a check on the TOFU, which is looking good! IMG_2859.jpg...Peanuts ready to be chopped up...IMG_2861.jpg

• Like 2

Peanuts are all chopped....IMG_2862.jpg....cilantro ready for the chef's knife treatment....IMG_2863.jpg....Thumbs UP  :emotion-21: for NG!  We ditched the 1979 GE electric range...this under the pasta water....IMG_2865.jpg..a quick look into how the TOFU is going, and here, it is ready now........heat way down to keep it warm while the rest of the dish comes together.....IMG_2864.jpg..water is ready, rice pasta IN...IMG_2867.jpg

• Like 2

...giving the pasta a stir....IMG_2868.jpg...before too long, it is ready.....IMG_2869.jpg...drained and here XVOO added....IMG_2870.jpg...begin the plating process.....IMG_2871.jpgIMG_2872.jpgIMG_2873.jpg...the TOFU has been added.......and now the Cilantro garnish.....Topped with the peanuts.....IMG_2874.jpgIMG_2875.jpg

• Like 2

...and one final photo of the dish with lots of HOT crushed red pepper....IMG_2878.jpg..............And with that, so ends the 'Tour of Thai'....   Hope you enjoyed the making of the dish, and I hope to see some of YOUR creations............be adventurous and get cookin'  :D  (and don't forget the photos)

• Like 4

Thanks Mike, appreciate that....   Not sure of another major posting.........probably the weekend I will get inspired...could be something Indian.....hmmmmmm.    Well' we'll see...

Until next time....  :)

See you in RTM...

.....................Gary

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

Have you ever used tofu in place of chicken for something like sesame chicken? I would switch to tofu i could not tell the difference. I will say i am not a fan of fish or squid oil.

I was a vegetarian for a very long time so I have eaten many types of tofu many ways. My wife always gets it at Asian restaurants, after hundreds of tries its only been as good as ours maybe twice but still to greasy. The best way to cook it we have found is to use the firm tofu cut it in 1"x3/4"x1/2" cubes roll in cornstarch and fry over medium to medium high in a little oil. Whats great It gets really crispy on the outside, its not greasy, and because of the crust it will absorb any sauce you use.

• Like 2

Hey there Duder and Juniper...  Thanks for adding your thoughts...   Old Timer suggested I try roasted pine nuts for the Pad Thai, or sticking with the traditional peanut oil, we'll see.....

Juniper, as you saw in the photos, the tofu was cut very much to your measurements...   I may try your corn starch idea OR perhaps flour..

Ok, I mentioned that I would put up some photos for Mike and OT of a few items...    That will be coming up next post here....

Ok foodies..........

Here is the avocado oil I use for cooking a large batch of pancakes on a cast iron griddle where a HIGH heat / flashpoint oil is needed...IMG_2879.jpg....side panel with some specs which is clear enough to read in this photo....IMG_2880.jpg....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

Hey there Duder and Juniper...  Thanks for adding your thoughts...   Old Timer suggested I try roasted pine nuts for the Pad Thai, or sticking with the traditional peanut oil, we'll see.....

Juniper, as you saw in the photos, the tofu was cut very much to your measurements...   I may try your corn starch idea OR perhaps flour..

Ok, I mentioned that I would put up some photos for Mike and OT of a few items...    That will be coming up next post here....

Gary , I spent over hour . to delete almost all my attachments..went out