Traveling K-Horns

Rhetor

Just purchased a set of K-horns . . . I pick them up Friday evening! Then I have to drive them in an enclosed trailer behind my pickup 5 hours to get them home.

Never moved K-horns before . . . . So. Should I take off the top hats? If so, how??? These are 1979 Kipschorns . . .

Thanks, just don't want break them in the move? Should any parts come off dor transportation?

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/130330/1318131.aspx#1318131

This Edroom’s post seems to say quite a bit about moving
them, please take a look and see if it answers your questions and then ask
about any of your concerns that are not covered there. The bottoms are about
110 lbs each and a 2 wheeler with appropriate padding should help and/or a
moving dolly would be a nice thing to have too. You can’t be too prepared. Tops
weigh about 50 lbs. Congratulations on the new Khorns , please enjoy them as
much as I do.

When I moved mine, I got a Uhaul. I think it was an 8 footer. I preferred to have larger than smaller BUT not too big as I also wanted to minimize their chance to slide around. I sort of wanted it to act more as a cocoon than a trailer.

The key for my move is I rented something like 10/15 packs of their moving blankets and had the entire trailer ultimately stuffed with blankets and speaker bottoms. I think I fit the tops in the car (or at least one of them....it's been a while)

I figured I could not have too many blankets and many of them I didn't unbundle. Just used the bundle as a buffer. When I returned things, I think they even gave me credit back for the bundle's that I didn't "use". I kept my mouth shut.

You do want to remove the tops prior to ever trying to carry them. Only took two of us to carry them. Take your time, you'll be fine.

When I moved my Jubilee's to FL, I had them in a big truck. I again, wrapped some moving blankets around the bass bins but, I then cynched them with a ratchet strap to the D rings so they would not slide around. I then mounted the tops back on with the screwed intended for that purpose and put a ratchet around the base of the tops to double latch it.

Nary a scratch.

congrats and you will love them

i've owned 3 sets and have moved them in and out of trucks/up and down steps all by myself. some people don't know this but the tops come off with 2 wing nuts per speaker. takes like 2 minutes. i never took off the side grills either but again wing nuts for them also. they will all fit in a standard 8' pickup bed. good luck

Trailers can offer a fairly bumpy ride. When I move large delicate things, sometimes, I take one of those large inflatable beds and place it in the bed of a truck or trailer, place rigid insulation, and blankets, around the item, and then inflate. It sounds odd but works great. I find that only inflating partially works best. Great find on the horns, and post lots of pics!!! Good Luck!!!

Hey all, thanks for the tips . . . Friday can not come soon enough!

I looked and looked and looked for wing nuts to get the top hats off in case I saw them. Is no wing nuts or the top hats and the side grills possible? These are 100% stock, and serial is for 1979 K-horns . . . So . . .

Everyone is saying to take off topcoats and side grills, right? I have a plywoodd floor in the enclosed trailer. Some are saying to lay them on their fronts on blankets? Would not it be safer to keep them standing up in the enclosed trailer, wrap in blankets, and then tie down?

How do I get the top hats off and the false sides/grills if I see no wing nuts? I won't see them again until this weekend, and did not take any pics yet!

I am uncomfortable putting them in the open bed of my pickup . . . We are not expecting rain, but, you never know. It would not take much wet to ruin them. Is it really necessary to take the top hats and false sides/grills off to transport them in an enclosed trailer?

Got three of us an a heavy furniture dolly (like u-haul uses).

Would it be ok to leave top hats and wings n, since there are no wing nuts, she'll them onto the enclosed trailer, cover with blankets and then strap them down staing normal upright?

Why are people recommending to lay them down on their fronts?

If you and someone else can load them upright and pad/strap them so they won't tip over or mar the finish, by all means keep the tophats in place and keep them upringht.

The facedown suggestions lower the center of gravity and and allow them to fit when there's not enough room to stand them up.

In the mid-70s, I moved 4 Speakerlab SKhorns several times a week fully intact and upright in a closed trailer in a mobile DJ buiness. Of course there was no concern for the finish of the black plywood enclosures, but the "bumpy" trailer ride didn't harm the speakers one bit.

Thanks for all of the tips.

In the end it was quite simple. Rented a u-haul furniture dolly for $10 . . . That made getting the K-horns easy to move through the original owner's house, down the from steps, and up the door ramp into the enclosed (setup for two cruisers) trailer. I wrapped the front of each speaker in a blanket to keep from any chance of marring the from when on the dolly. Before moving, I removed the side decorator grills and the top hats (simple wing nuts, and disconnecting the tweeter leads from the bottoms). I wrapped the top hats in blankets and loaded them onto the rear jump seat of the pickup and strapped them down so they wouldn't bang agains each other or door--perfect fit. Wrapped each decorator grill in an old sheet and put on the rear truck floorboard.

Covered each bottom with blankets, then anchored each with tie down straps to the side rings. Cinched them, but not too tight. Worked best to place a side of each against the trailer wall. Never moved the whole five hour journey home. Not a scratch! Well, no new ones, just a few from the original owner. :-)

I know my thread starting question did not seem important, but after considering all of the advice, worked out a plan . . . And it worked great for me. Getting ready now to unload them, bring them in, and hook them up....after seeing them, now my wife is even excited!

It was an 11 hour round trip (10 driving and an hour to load and secure correctly) for the lovely wife who met me at the seller's house....she brought the truck, trailer, and our two dogs) and met me there. She even stopped by U-Haul to rent the furniture dolly! I had been a 12 hour drive from home for the week working when I found them. She met me nearly halfway for the pick up of the K-horns. We did not get home until 3 AM.

So, if there is just one little tidbit I can ad to all the great advice on how to transport your new old K-horns yourself . . . spend the $10 to rent a furniture dolly! For $10 it adds a lot of security, more than dragging along a couple of great friend who you can't shoot if they drop a bass bin or a tophat! And, for $10 it is a lot easier getting the horned into the house . . . When you have to negotiate 15"wooden steps and two landing to get them into your house!

Thanks to everybody who helped with what looked like a dumb noob question, which it was. But, now I am only the second owner of successfully moved without damage 1979 all original, consecutively numbered, sounding beautiful KBWO K-horns! :-)

Great job Rhetor on finding the Khorns and getting them home safely ! I have bought and transported 9 sets of Khorns in the last 4 years. I used a Uhaul trailer everytime without a glitch until the last time when the tie-down wood came loose from the side wall. Luckily I stop pretty often to check the load and the last stop I found them siiting in the middle of the trailer with no damage to speak of. Next time I will check all of the tie-downs before excepting the trailer. ( if there is a next time )