I can make a car go faster than any original factory offering

USNRET

sorry I was deluded by another poster in a couple of forums here.

BUT back in the day of carbs and dual point distributors I enjoyed a certain reputation and this statement would be fact. I could take a factory offered automobile and make it faster.Sometimes it was so fast the 4 track (NOT 8 track, that came later) tape deck would malfunction.

I have a 65 Mustang with a 289 HiPo with a dual point distributor. It's a little beast. Solid lifters and no head gasket. Pretty cool stuff.

How do you make most cars faster? Port and polish heads? Raise compression? Increase redline? NOS, turbo, blower/SC, hampster...???

You have probably had more cars than me. I don't know how many I have owned, but I currently only own 7. I am a mechanic, but no pro by any means. I am truly interested in what you have to say...

Craig

SO YOU CAN GET FROM ONE STOPLIGHT TO ANOTHER STOPLIGHT FASTER,,SO WHAT,,, WHAT DO YOU DO AFTER YOU GET THERE ???? POUR ANOTHER FIVE GALLON OF GAS IN YOUR TANK ????..OR SUCK UP ANOTHER SIX PACK..??? OR SHAKE OUT YOUR UNDERWEAR ????

"In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon."

In my attempt at satire it is obvious I came to this battle of wits unarmed.

While being interviewed on TV at a local Corvette rally, a ZR-1 owner said his car accelerates so hard that his girlfriend is required to wear a sports bra.

There was no corroborating video, unfortunately...

Sometimes mom didn't really believe that the rolling papers in my tool box were for troubleshooting dual points. I would fold up a cigarette paper and place between one set of points while adjusting the dwell on the other. Dwell adjustment was more accurate than setting gap with feeler gauge.

1) When using solid lifter cams you could SLIGHTLY vary valve timing, lift and duration by changing lash....be VERY careful
2) Degreeing a cam, use an offset bushing to advance, retard or dial in the cam to crank relationship

3) Early (60-70) Chevy's, block off the exhaust ports in the intake to get a cooler / more dense fuel mixture.

I give up? Do you use water injection or magnets?

I did use water / alcohol injection in later years on high compression engines when quality gas couldn't be found on road trips.

The frustrating thing today is that the high test gas was the low test then. Remember when high test was 103 octane and regular was 93? I hate retarding the timing on vintage engines so I can run the high test of today. Typically I mix CAM2 (110 octane) and high test (93 octane) to achieve the rating needed. I actually like the smell of CAM2 burning. Is that wierd? [:)]

I have been told I should head up to the airport with the cars to try aviation fuel, but I have yet to make that trip.