rf 7 ii big surprise (update)

jess28

hello everyone,a couple weeks ago i was in the market for some new speakers was looking at rf 83s because i had owned the 63s and was floored by the sound.just when i was ready to purchase some 83s from another member when one of my best friends died suddenly.I had to travel and ended up spending much of my money.

It came to much of a surprise when a new pair of rf 7 ii showed up at my door i had showed my girlfriend a post from jasonj on the price he got them for.

she got em for me guess she felt bad.

boy was i excited to hook them up.

boy was i dissapointed when i heard them.

i cant believe its the speakers,not yet at least.

whats different about my rig.

onkyo 705 had 807

amp gfa 555 same model of amp i had previously with 63's,just a different one

streaming flac to ps3,display went on my cd player

placement of speakers

problems,mainly soundstage ,imaging is absent! sound is muddled,mids arent bad though,bass is nice,dont seem as crisp and clean as 63's.

i'm hoping it's the onkyo/placement?

could there be that much of a difference between the onkyo models havent been able to find to much on the diff other than specs

anybody else having the same issuses? please let me know.

Also,I know the ps3 isnt the best but had used in my other system and had better results.

looking into adcom preamp/tuner gtp 450 can get one on the cheap or maybe that emotiva dac/pre emotiva has it on sale

i find it hard to believe klipsch went backwards with this speaker i do find it funny there isnt any professional reviews though.

i guess i could always sell and get the 63's back or may some used cornwals 2nd or 3rd gen

i really dont want to.

i do like the richness of the rf 7 ii the 63's were lacking somtimes sounded thin to me

ha i know she got an amazing deal too, cheapest i've heard so far

they were slightly damaged though r&l didnt take good care in the delivery both grills were smashed to pieces .which damaged the top of the speakers slightly not really an issue to me especially with the price i got em for.

mike from asd is replacing right away

no its not grainy,the soundstage of my 63's was amazing like being in the studio as music was being recorded.Not getting that with the 7's ,the sound is just kind of muddled.i loved the the 555 with the 63s the difference between amp and recievers was beyond night and day.The sound was crisp and clean without being harsh or tinny and again the sound stage was just amazing

will try that.I think maybe placement and onkyo may be the biggest culprets,since i cant find anyone so far with similar problems,the onkyo is my fathers he is just letting me use till i get a pre.

problem with placement is i have to the my girl happy too.For me performance beats looks anyday.for her there just nice pieces of furniture

To be honest, everything I have heard past the RF-7, RF-35 series has dissipointed me. Especailly the new RF-7s, I'm not sure what exactly is the difference, for one thing the crossover seems to have more mid frequencys going to the tweeter instead of a woofer.

i do like the richness of the rf 7 ii the 63's were lacking somtimes sounded thin to me

The RF-7II's do have a "bigger" sound(larger presence) but with the right amp, the 63's can sound pretty big. I added an Acurus A250 to my 63's and was floored with their transformation. More detail, more presence, much more thump in the midbass and down low. The B&K I was using did sound good especially in the midrange, but the Acurus really opened the 63's up from top to bottom.

As you probably know by now, I am a huge fan of the RF-63's.[:o]

Bill

I added an Acurus A250 to my 63's and was floored with their transformation. More detail, more presence, much more thump in the midbass and down low.

That Acurus A250 is a very nice amp. I heard one about 6 months ago and it surprised me. It has some serious capacitance in it too. The guy turned it off while playing some music and it kept playing and slowly dimmed down, pretty cool.

no its not grainy,the soundstage of my 63's was amazing like being in the studio as music was being recorded.Not getting that with the 7's ,the sound is just kind of muddled.i loved the the 555 with the 63s the difference between amp and recievers was beyond night and day.The sound was crisp and clean without being harsh or tinny and again the sound stage was just amazing

MUDDLED?

Being banged up as they where.

Make sure the intrernal foam has not fallen off and is blocking the back ports..

when i say muddled the instuments kind of sound on top of each other there isnt any space between them,the imaging i got with the 63s it was like there was space between each instrument.like i could tell where everything was when it was recorded.

it was like music in 3d, i guess would be the best way to put it

i'm sorry if im not usiing the right terms.

I didn't notice a huge difference between my 63's and my rf7ii's besides the look. The rc64 was night and day over the rc62 though

I wasnt expecting a big difference ,I did however expect to hear the sound i got from the 63's but richer and fuller

I have a local music shop that wants to sell me a pre so they are going to let me bring my speakers into there shop and hook them up to a $12,000

mcintosh rig in there treated audio room i've always wanted do that anyway so i will hopefully get my answer there