I put my stereo system on a diet

jhoak

For various reasons I've had to "shrink" my 2.1-channel system a good bit.

In the last 3 months or so I've gone from a McIntosh C32 preamp, McIntosh MR7082 tuner, Bob Latino VTA/ST-120 amp, DIY Cornscalas, DIY subwoofer, Oppo BDP-93 universal player, Dual 1249 turntable, Dell Optiplex 330 HTPC, Belkin PF60 power center, and a BIG DIY oak stand to this:

Posted Image

The new slimmer trimmer system consists of a Harman Kardon HK-3490 receiver, Klipsch Chorus IIs, DIY subwoofer, Yamaha DVD-S2500 universal player, Samsung BD-C6500 BD player, Dual 1249 turntable, Dell Optiplex 330 HTPC, Belkin PF60 power center, and a Walker Edison Everest Black stand.

Does the dramatically downsized system sound as good as the original? Well no. BUT... It's real close to my ears and WAY less than 1/2 of the total investment to boot.

It's a lean mean music machine! [:D] Tough to go wrong when you have Chorus II's in the mix, remember it is always about the music, less so about the gear. Whatever reasons caused you to sell some of your gear, I hope they are fading in the rear view mirror.

In terms of "sonics" absolutely nothing that I can discern.

The only true advantage that I've found to placing something on top of speakers is that you won't end up with "water rings" in the wood when your completely thoughtless dumb @$$ friends park their beer on top of your speakers.

I think I would be dying to try the Bob Latino VTA/ST-120 with those Chorus II's though. Do you still have it?

Nope... Sold it and shipped it to Eugene OR. Last thing I heard the new owner is pretty tickled with it.

I'll drive the Chorus with a tubed amp at some point in the future just as soon as I have the coin.

The new slimmer trimmer system consists of a Harman Kardon HK-3490 receiver, Klipsch Chorus IIs, DIY subwoofer, Yamaha DVD-S2500 universal player, Samsung BD-C6500 BD player, Dual 1249 turntable, Dell Optiplex 330 HTPC, Belkin PF60 power center, and a Walker Edison Everest Black stand.

Does the dramatically downsized system sound as good as the original? Well no. BUT... It's real close to my ears and WAY less than 1/2 of the total investment to boot.

I think you made excellent choices for a budget all-purpose receiver and speakers. I’ve used somewhat of an ancestor to your set-up as I have used a HK-3485 with a pair of 86 Cornwall IIs and a pair of old b-stock SVS SB-12 sealed subwoofers. Now that was a sight as the subs have 12 inch cones while the Cornwall II’s have the 15 inch cones but I believe that they are decent subs for music when paired with the Cornwall II's and deliver bass notes down to ~ 22 Hz. The HK provides a great combination of warmth and detail and always seemed to have enough headroom to drive the Cornwall’s to great room-filling volume without problem. The system is now used by my step daughter and her boyfriend as the rock’in parties continue on to a new generation, but I got a lot of fond party memories out of that system before passing it on.

I've done the same thing this year OP... I had 4 cornwalls and a pair of Heresys and I slimmed down to one pair of CW's.

the only thing I want to add this year is a Bryston amp or a pair of monos.

Simple is betta