I can't believe I actually did it!

skonopa

Well, there they are - a complete set of Reference 7 speakers (with a very nice REL subwoofer) in my living room! The last RC-7 finally came in and I picked it up yesterday. I still need to mount that last RC-7 - before I do that, i'll need to install a larger shelf than the one I have now that used to house an RC-3II.

Yes, this did set me back quite a few pretty pannies, but boy is it worth it! At least, now I have a sound system that'll last me a lifetime. I simply do not have the room for a Heritage setup - perhaps in the future when I have much more disposible income, I'll do the eBay thing and search for used heritage, but for now, I am going to really enjoy my Reference 7 home theater.

Now the real fun begins - tweaking and adjusting things until I get the best sound I can out of it. I spent this kind of money on this gear, by golly, I am going to try to get the most out of it that I can Smile.gif.

Unfortunatly, going to the Reference 7s was not as smooth as I would have liked it. I did encounter two disasters one major and one minor during the process. The major diaster involved an RC-7. While taking the speaker out of the box, one of the drivers fell out of the cabintets. All four screw points was broken and the cabinet was cracked! Needless to say, it went back to the store and they exchanged it out. Of course, that ment waiting close to another week for the replacement to come in.

When the replacement came in, that was when disaster number 2 struck - fortunatly very minor. While positioning the new RC-7, my right hand slipped from the corner of the cabinet and my thumb went into the right side driver, putting a small crease in the cone cwm2.gif! Needless to say, a few choice words not appropriate to be posted here emitted from my mouth! Believe me, I was a bit miffed, especially considering that I just took the damn speaker out of the wrapper a mere 5 minutes before! Thankfully, it was a very minor crease and does not seem to affect the sound any. Anyway, when the second RC-7 came in, I just swapped that in for the front center and will use the first RC-7 (one with the blemished right side driver) as the rear center.

Anway, I am so excited that I finally did end up with the setup that I really wanted in the first place! At least I was able to hear how a more budget Klipsch setup sounded and I was impressed. For those that do not or cannot want/afford a Reference 7 setup, I definitly say a Reference 3 II setup will be very nice - especially for the money (considering how much BO$E wants for the lo$t$tyle systems that do not come anywhere near what a full packaged Reference 3II setup with a decent receiver sounds like for the same amount of money.).

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

Congrats! Smile.gif

Too bad about the poor RC-7 though. Frown.gif

But as long as it didn't effect the sound, then GREAT! cwm1.gif

BTW, which color are your Klipsch Reference 7 speakers? Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Marantz SR9200

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Congratulations on your setup - I am certain it sounds wonderful and should improve the quality of your life for some time.

Where is the quality control at though? Buying a new speaker and having the drivers fall out is not exactly confidence inspiring, is it?

I was at the local AV dealer recently and my concern over those new copper drivers led me to rub my thumb across one of them. Much to my dismay, the driver suffered a minor crease in it. They are just too damn fragile in my opinion.

------------------

Home Theater

KSP 400's

KSP C6

KSP S6's

Yamaha RXV995 (Current)

Bryston 9BST (On the horizon)

Bryston SP1.7 (A little further on the horizon)

Music Room

Heresy's

KG4's

KSW200

Ella PP EL-34 (Coming soon)

Steven,

First congratulatuions on your purchase.

Now...

"While positioning the new RC-7, my right hand slipped from the corner of the cabinet and my thumb went into the right side driver, putting a small crease in the cone ! Needless to say, a few choice words not appropriate to be posted here emitted from my mouth!"

LOL

I know its NOT funny but it did happen to me,yes.I posted a few good weeks back about my RF-7 woofer dent!

cwm23.gif

I know how it feels,NOT GOOD.I cursed anyone in view and wanted to nuke a few from planet Earth.I was flaming like a madman.I still live with the minor dent,its more visual then a real problem.

As long as the cone shape(integrity)is not compromissed you are fine.Me its a power cable plug that struck the lower RF-7 woofer!

Again enjoy your system,dont let the dent dent your music. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 06-01-2002 at 06:12 PM

Ahh yes...the dented woofer syndrome.

Power plugs swinging, thumbs being jammed into them, cats jumping with claws clinging.

Amazing the abuse those Klipschcones withstand for being less than paper thin, and as light as a feather.

Good thing it wasn't a Heresy -- your thumb would have gone right through the paper driver.

Worse yet -- imagine if you were trying to position a LaScala on that shelf, and it fell over forcing you into the bass bin. Man, wouldn't that suck.

f>s>

------------------

Deanf>s>

Cary AE-25f>s>SuperAmpf>s> - Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - Sony DVP-S9000ES - Klipsch RF7's

SVS 20-39 CS Plus - Samson S1000 - HSU Research elec. crossover - MIT/Monsters

f>s>

Inside every small problem is a large problem struggling to get outf>c>s>-- 2nd Law of Blissful Ignorancef>s>c>

This message has been edited by deang on 06-01-2002 at 09:37 PM

Sorry about the injuries. Congats on the reference series. I know it hurts the pocket, but it will make it up over time.

Shake the house!!!!

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Velodyne V-1012-B

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

Right on dude! Glad you got your goodies. However, I am sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Ya, I would have been sh1tting bricks if I had done that. Now you need to go and get Titan AE and watch it. GREAT sound affects in that movie!

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Thanks for the compliments! Yeah, no doubt this is going to be awesome. I already love these speakers!

For KAiN64's answer, I got the Black Ash. I wanted to go with Cherry, but the dang dealer wanter another $200 for the speakers. I decided I'll go with the black.

As for the dented RC-7, I showed it to one of my friends. He did not realize it was dented until I actually showed it to him and he look at it up close, so it was a very small dent. What was funny was when my friend saw these speakers the first time he exclamed "Good lord, look at the size of those things!" Needless to say, he was quite impressed with the sound though!

For m00n, I have a copy of Titan AE, both on VHS and DVD. I'll definitly have to go watch it again now that I got this setup. (It freaking sounded awesome on the RF-3IIs).

BTW, mpgwagon, after looking at the pictures of your setup, I notice we both have the exact same model of TV!

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

This message has been edited by skonopa on 06-03-2002 at 10:04 AM

"Good thing it wasn't a Heresy -- your thumb would have gone right through the paper driver."

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA .................!!!! Smile.gif

Dean: Some people might suggest you have some kind of complex about the Heritage line (certainly not me). The reference series with their "New Technologies" Smile.gifSmile.gif are fine speakers. Your speculation on the paper fibre cones is just that, merely speculation. I can say with some certainty the Heresy cone, unlike the Reference series, certainly don't crease by merely rubbing your thumb on them as Crash indicated. It's just a crease though so don't sweat it.

Regards,

Stu

f>

------------------

'81 Cornwall 1 mains B2 Crossover

'73 Heresy Centre

'78 Heresy Surrounds

Paradigm PW2200 Sub Subwoofer

Marantz SR8000 AV Receiver

Hitachi 53" RPTV 53SBX59B

You're dealer should be able to order a replacement woofer for your RF-7 under warranty. The dealer I purchased my RF-3's from was quite aware of the fragile woofer issue, and stated that he would be able to order replacements for the full term of the 5 year warranty, provided that I did not abuse the speakers, or the priveldge.

------------------

Mike - Livonia, MI

Klipsch RF-3 L/R

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RB-5 rears

HSU Research VF-2 Sub

Marantz SR-19EX receiver

Marantz MM-9000 Amp

NAD T550 DVD

Adcom GCD 700 CD

where do all the dented drivers go? it is my experience that the dents are more cosmetic than anything- this could be a great opportunity for DIYers on a budget or people, people who have the patience to work out the dents or people who want a 10" woofer center channel.

Larry