Italian Walnut Burl Khorn Restoration

greg928gts

After the veneer was installed, I assembled everything and then took it back apart for finishing. Final assembly will be much easier this way.

I'm not sure I like the veneer. I was told it's an engineered veneer and that every sheet looks about the same.

Greg

post-11090-13819737615612_thumb.jpg

post-11090-13819768275492_thumb.jpg

post-11090-13819795253142_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure I like the veneer. I was told it's an engineered veneer and that every sheet looks about the same.

What's an "engineered veneer"? Sounds like something you'd obtain by genetic engineering.

Greg

I wanna know how you keep your *** shop soooooo clean.....! Surprise

I have good storage space. A place for everything, and I take time each day to put things away. To me it doesn't feel clean enough! Too cluttered. But it IS a working shop, all day every day, so I guess considering that, it is pretty clean and organized.

Greg

What's an "engineered veneer"? Sounds like something you'd obtain by genetic engineering.

Greg

I'd like to know too. It is wood, and it has the usual 10-mil paper backing on it. Maybe the pattern is dyed into the wood?

Somehow it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't Italian, Walnut, or Burl. lol

Greg

I wanna know how you keep your *** shop soooooo clean.....! Surprise

All add this... great looking workshop...

Thanks. You can see much more here www.voltiaudio.com/shop.shtml It's changed some in the last couple of years since the pictures and video were taken. The paint room has gotten a lot more refined, there's finally a door covering the stereo gear, the pool table was replaced with a torsion box table, and it's not nearly as clean now!

Greg

Guest David H

Looking good Greg. I had been contemplating using the engineered Zebrawood on one of my projects.

What exactly is modified veneer?

Engineered, restructured and technical veneer are the names of natural wooden materials, which thanks to modern technology can meet the requirements of every customer. The very idea of production comes from Europe of the thirties. In 1965, Italy and the UK have created modified veneer production systems, but it is Italy, where this kind of veneer became the first material which was produced industrially. In subsequent years great improvements where made in the process of wood modification.

What is engineered veneer made of?

Theoretically, almost every kind of wood can be used as raw material. This is because the basic production material is a modified log of wood. It is made of common, fast growing wood. The exact composition of species depends on material prices on world markets.

The use of modified wood

Wood from the engineered log is ideal for production of folding floors, fire fighting plates, veneer furniture, handicrafts, wooden lumber, doors, stairs, sports accessories and even stationery made from decorative veneer. Why modified veneer has such a wide range of applications? Mainly because it is produced industrially. This speeds up and simplifies the process of veneer production, but not only that. Each square of modified wooden log has length and width specified by a universal international specification for the decorative wood. Such log can be easily cut into veneer, cut to form a plate or whole blocks of wood with different properties.

Engineered and natural veneer - differences in physical characteristics.

Technological processing optimizes the structure of natural wood, prevents distortions, imperfections, therefore when compared with natural wood, the engineered counterpart is superior in terms of density, hardness, static bending strength and bending strength of itself. As a natural material it retains features such as protection against heat, insulating properties, humidity and temperature regulation.

Technological processing optimizes the structure of natural wood, prevents distortions, imperfections, therefore when compared with natural wood, the engineered counterpart is superior in terms of density, hardness, static bending strength and bending strength of itself. As a natural material it retains features such as protection against heat, insulating properties, humidity and temperature regulation.

Guest David H

Greg, are you still using heat-lock veneering method?

If so, is the heat lock glue better than the Tight Bond II using the same method?

Dave

Greg, are you still using heat-lock veneering method?

If so, is the heat lock glue better than the Tight Bond II using the same method?

Dave

Very little. Almost all the veneer we do now is with vacuum bags and Unibond 800 Urethane glue.

Heatlock is supposed to have more fillers in it than the Titebond, and it's darker in color which is usually a plus. I don't know if it is actually any better though. I still buy Heatlock even though I think the company selling it uses questionable sales tactics.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...