Subwoofer recomendation plz??

jd3692

Hello i was hoping for some recommendations on a subwoofer to purchase. I have been trying to put together a klipsch sterio for a long time and have just recently started on it. Right now i have a pair of the rf82ii fronts and the rc64ii center and im looking to purchase a subwoofer that will work well with them. Any recommedations would be greatly appreciated. Also looking to eventually buy a set of surrounds is it worth spending the extra money on the surrounds with the bigger woofer or not. Thanks again for the helping

Jd3692,

Welcome to the forum.

Hello i was hoping for some recommendations on a subwoofer to purchase.

A few questions first:

How big is your room? More music or movies? Any size constraints? Budget? New or used?

Also looking to eventually buy a set of surrounds is it worth spending the extra money on the surrounds with the bigger woofer or not. Thanks again for the helping

If you are planning on listening to a lot of multichannel music, the larger woofers will benefit you more. If it is more for surround sound movie effects, you could get away with a "smaller" woofer.

*Edit your other thread with "double post"* so people don't respond to both posts.

Bill

The system is eventually going to end up in the finished basement which is a open floor plain, maybe 40' x 30'. Im not really looking to fill the whole room with the sound though, only a corner of it thats about 20 x 20. As far as movie and music, well I guess both. I want a new one and am not really concerned about the size of the sub itself, I'll make it fit[:)] . I would like to stay under 1000 on the price but if I have to go over that well I'll have to figure it out. thanks again

Jesse

going into such a large area will all but ensure you need something quite large

I would say 1k and up is recommended

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html

http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=2_41

a7 350 or larger

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box/pb13-ultra

some pb13 ultras are closing out a little cheaper

http://epiksubwoofers.com/empire.html

dual configuration

these are a few of my recommendations

40" x 30" ?? You sure you'll even be able to fit a chair in that space?

Assuming you mean 40' X 30'. Which is a pretty significant space. Unless you're going to physically wall-off a section of the room to enclose your theater area in, you'll need a fairly serious sub to get really great SPL output in that big of a space.Given your budget, you're really going to want to milk the bang-for-buck factor on whichever sub you end up going with.

One (or two) of the larger subs from Elemental Designs would probably fit the bill. Or maybe the highly regarded SVS PB-13, which is a bit over budget.

Considering you have so much space to work with, your lack of concern for size, and depending how handy you are with tools, wood, and glue, you might want to think about going with a DIY Folded Horn type Sub, or even a Sonotube Sub. The performance/price ratio for subs of that type typically exceed what's available commercially by a significant margin.

perfect subwoofer for your basement. just leave the grill on and you will never notice the chip. snag if fast if you can cause you wont find deals like this very often http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/164660.aspx

Deal, what deal?[*-)] No price listed, just send offers through PM.[:|]

Scrappy is correct, big space needs big quality sub.[Y]

Bill

Lol it's so easy to spend someone else's money for them...in all reality unless your looking for refrence level sounds a single one of probably any one of these mentioned will get you by just fine. Worst case scenario, you buy one, you dislike he output, you add another. Simple. Or a lot of companies have in home trial too. Fodd for thought.

thanks you guys for all the help I really appreicate all the ideas. I was going to just buy a klipsch sub but now I'm not so sure that is what I'm going to end up doing.

EdmundGTP thanks for the idea about building the Folded Horn. I actually spend 9 years working in a wood shop and have full access to it still. I never even considered attempting to build my own but after spending some time looking into it and reading you post, I really think I might end up attempting it. I would just have to figure out what Subwoofer to purchase and where to buy it from.

Either way after reading all yor post I think I'm definetly going to end up just building or buying two Subs for the room.

Thanks again for the help.