Hurricane Season 2012

Mallette

WS65711

I saw the report on CNN about the Tangipahoa Resevior, but it doesn't feed into the area that Dtel lives.....

Understood. But realize that I live much closer to where this particular storm came ashore than Dtel does. I'm 5 miles north of Lake Pontchartrain, directly above the Causeway bridge. The Tangipahoa river in the article I linked is about 17 miles west of me. It's less than two miles east of my sister's house in Hammond, LA. This morning, they were talking like that dam in Mississippi was going to break any minute. They've since changed to 50/50 chance of it giving way. In this area (where the storm has caused a lot more trouble than it caused Dtel) the Tangipahoa is the problem of the moment, affecting over 50 thousand people.

I like Dtel as does everyone else here. But he wasn't the only forum member affected by this storm. There are a number of us here... [:)]

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WS65711

I had no intention to suggest that others were at less or more risk. I have an idea where Dtel lives and I was commenting on the river I believed that was closest to him. If the dam on the Tangipahoa River holds you should be okay, if not...? The NOAA site suggests that the river flowing down from the resevior is fine at the moment. Of course, that assumes that the resevior does not overflow the dam.

I certaintly hope you are safe and sound, as is your family. We get some snow up here, but 12 inches is a major snowfall which is nothing compared to what you just went through.

I have communicated with Dtel about hurricanes for many years now including before Katrina, so that's why I pointed out what he was going through.

Isaac is one unbelievable storm. Baton Rouge is now being hit by a feeder band from Isaac with rain as hard or harder than when it was in Louisiana. To put this in perspective, the center of Isaac is now in Missouri, about 600 miles away. I figured that we were finally done with this thing. Oh, well.

• Moderators

We got electricity last night, but just got a internet connection.

Things are fine here, we had 15 1/4" of rain which is not a problem here, except when days of South winds push the Gulf into Lake Pontchartrain where all the rivers drain which slows things up. We had water in the back yard but it went down by last night. Winds were not bad 40-50 but some of the gust were probably around 70 mph or more when the strong bands of rain would pass, and it did not come here and was a weak 1. If this would have been a 3-5 we would have been in trouble and everything from here South and West of us would be mostly gone and underwater.

Today roads between here and town (10 miles) are closed because the Pearl river is cresting here today, we are not affected by rivers cresting as long as our rain water has a chance to go down before the crest if not it goes down slower.

What would really scare me would be like where WS65711's sister lives, Hammond La, the local news was saying if that dam was to break it could be a 8' wall of water going down stream through many towns on top of already standing water. Rains and rising rivers are one thing but a flash flood's from a 700 acre lake dam break is scary.

We and everyone else were lucky, again, except for two people who did not make it and drowned according to the news, I think they were in lower Plaquemines parish, which had a mandatory evacuation, and for good reason.

• Moderators

Just went for a ride, about 5 miles from us, water was crossing the road from a creek around the turn in the pic, the road drops down and goes through a game reserve, I would guess it's really deep there.

post-11804-13819800125258_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

On a different road the volunteer fire dept with military people and their trucks were evacuating some people from areas which didn't get water until today because of rivers cresting, we didn't even know this was going on.

post-11804-13819800137156_thumb.jpg

Dtel:

According to the NOAA website, the Pearl River will crest tomorrow afternoon, but remain equally high until at least Thursday, at 18.5 feet. The river is close to 17 feet at the moment. The normal flooding level is 14 feet, so you may have a hard time getting in and out of your neighbourhood for a while. Maybe you can rent that army truck to pick up groceries? It looks like it could get through the high water.

• Moderators

No problems, plenty of food, if you see me floating down a river one thing for sure I will not be hungry. [;)]

Our water is from rain, were probably 2 miles from the river and much higher, our creeks/branches drain into the river but miles away, and everything here drained off by last night.

My wife was off in town and called my sister crying because someone or the news said the 2 locks North of us on the Pearl river were failing ? I don't know if that's true but I told her not to worry were probably 30'- 40' above the river level, hope I'm right. [:o]

We rode down to the river yesterday and around the area where all the camps are right on the river bank. I was expecting to not even be able to get there but the water was still a few feet in the river bank, for lack of a better way to explain it.

• Moderators

Just remembered something crazy. The first pic I posted of water crossing the road, well right there was a young guy with a radio from the county. He had put a orange cone in the center of the road to get peoples attention. We asked him if the county had closed it, considering the road dropped down probably 5' lower than that pic about a mile up that road and he said no not really we don't have enough people to do things like that.

We asked him where can we go to find out what roads are closed and we were told " I don't know we were told if anyone ask tell them to check on Facebook". We asked how do city workers and rescue people know what's flooded and what roads are open, he said Facebook. [:o]

Another man standing there that we were talking to who had retired from Stennis space center about 20 miles away started laughing when he said that.

My wife jokingly asked him well you must be a rocket scientist ? He laughed and said retired rocket scientist, he then says well you know they say the locals from here will take a few generations to get over being complete inbred backwoods idiots, the bad part is we don't know what generation they plan on starting ? [:D]

We like it here being a small town but some things are just funny, when we moved here about 15 years ago we were amazed, at 9 pm even on the weekend the roads were empty NOT a car on the road, you even had to go to the next exit to get gas or find a store open, everything was closed on Sunday.

This the latest projection for Issac before they discontinue them.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 20 MPH...30 KM/H...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS.

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1007 MB...29.74 INCHES.

HAZARDS
-------
RAINFALL...STORM TOTALS OF 2 TO 3 INCHES OF RAIN ARE EXPECTED FOR
THE LOWER OHIO RIVER VALLEY THROUGH TONIGHT.
The biggest headache for Toronto is rain on the first day of school on Tuesday. We're not talking Hazel here, either the mayor or the hurricane. 

• Moderators

Didn't realize it would go that far North [:P], good thing these do not happen in winter, that would make alot of snow,

I guess it would make alot of snow, [:o] OK I shouldn't talk about snow with someone from Canada considering how much we get. [:$] I don't even know how snow is measured, an inch of snow like rain ? if so I would think 2" of water would make alot of snow ? We have been in a bunch of snow, other places but know nothing of how it's measured. [:$]

Isaac's remnants in DC this afternoon, up to 1".

I've always heard 1" rain = 10" snow, but depends on how dense the snow is. From Yahoo answers:

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters Fifteen inches of dry powder snow equals 1 inch of rain. This is also equivalent to only five inches of very wet snow. The accepted average is ten inches.

Source(s): http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/mar…

Not that it will both you Dtel, but the Pearl River is now scheduled to crest at 19.5 feet. It will remain over 18 feet until Friday morning. The downside of being at the south end of a drainage basin and it was also raining upstream. The Pearl River is the only site that is still listed with major flooding.

Not that it will both you Dtel, but the Pearl River is now scheduled to crest at 19.5 feet. It will remain over 18 feet until Friday morning. The downside of being at the south end of a drainage basin and it was also raining upstream. The Pearl River is the only site that is still listed with major flooding.

On what list? There are multiple areas with houses still flooded, where people have not been able to return to their homes. The national media NEVER gets the story right in any disaster situation.