First time- Las Vegas- Grand Canyon - Bryce- Lake Powell - And-------

Brac

Here is the link to our planned route: (of course my browser doesn't make working links)

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Las+Vegas,+NV&daddr=Hoover+Dam,+Boulder+City,+NV+to:Grand+Canyon+National+Park,+Coconino,+AZ+to:Lake+Powell,+AZ+to:Kaibab+Plateau+HP,+Coconino,+AZ+to:Point+Sublime,+North+Rim,+AZ+to:Point+Imperial+Road,+North+Rim,+AZ+to:37.13615,-111.97555+to:Grand+Staircase-Escalante+National+Monument,+Kanab,+UT+to:Bryce+Canyon+National+Park,+Tropic,+UT+to:Zion+National+Park,+Hurricane,+UT+to:Toroweap+Overlook,+Mohave,+AZ+to:Grand+Canyon+Bar+Ten+Airstrip,+Mohave,+AZ+to:Mesquite,+NV+to:Las+Vegas,+NV&geocode=FZM1KQIdNJoh-SnRffWkgre-gDGjebPV5tXMOg%3BFXeEJQIdnSkp-SmzYFUvPi3JgDHGnkJ9rUrXtQ%3BFZUeJgIdNeFQ-SE7YzTC5Mlivimtv2mAsxAzhzE7YzTC5Mlivg%3BFTQbNAIdbcxa-SFcQZnIYAmk_ylLQkecuWo0hzFcQZnIYAmk_w%3BFWVdKwId5LdQ-SlPVF51emYzhzHRkYcydFbfyw%3BFRxLKQIdk19R-Sn3C84nW2wzhzGCDH1_AUOaOw%3BFY56KQId9gxT-Sn5XzAzAXMzhzHIY7sU8IVdEQ%3BFRanNgIdgmNT-SmLKP5yC_w0hzHT2WOjPKbQJg%3BFT9SOwId_E5Y-SHoSLjOBr3iKilztNbbhKQ1hzHoSLjOBr3iKg%3BFeh7PQId9TlQ-SEGbay--9jpaykt68MCxms1hzEGbay--9jpaw%3BFf3BNwIdkwdE-SH1VjaqFToufCnZ-ESI0OrKgDH1VjaqFToufA%3BFe-OKAIdHudC-SF6MqCjXsiJvykpGAhqsZnMgDF6MqCjXsiJvw%3BFdQ7KQIdsj9A-SG2KR2C2yUVHinl6R6tDYPMgDG2KR2C2yUVHg%3BFZubMQIdCnkz-SkDU0hxCYDJgDGcP7-H5rGyEw%3BFZM1KQIdNJoh-SnRffWkgre-gDGjebPV5tXMOg&aq=0&oq=las&sll=36.452218,-113.323975&sspn=2.708313,4.762573&vpsrc=6&t=h&hl=en&mra=ls&via=7&ie=UTF8&ll=36.359375,-112.950439&spn=2.71155,4.762573&z=8&dirflg=d

Gonna be a combo of camping and hotel stays. 1,200 miles over 12 days with 2 days in Vegas at the end.

Only issue we seem to have is the amount of stuff we need to bring vs the amount the airline lets you take. Anybody in Vegas I could mail some camping gear to?

I've read so much about Havasupai Falls, amazing doesn't seem to do it justice. However we had to take it off the places we are going, for a few reasons. I kinda thought our trip would be considered "off season" but no such luck. The lousy thing about this place is also the great thing about this place, getting there.

I wanted to hike in and camp, but the wife can't carry a full pack that far, so we would need to stay at the inn, (all booked up). other option is they will mule train in your gear for $185 RT you can also get a heli flight in or out for $90 p/p each way, (don't know if/how much gear you can take)so even lazy folks can get there. Too good a place to deal with crowds of people.

Here are your links, activated:

http://www.waterfallswest.com/waterfall.php?id=25

http://www.zastavki.com/pictures/1600x1200/2010/Nature_Waterfalls_Havasu_Falls_Arizona_021791_.jpg

http://static.grindtv.com/images/1/00/39/71/97/397197.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fkehren/318063916/lightbox/

I don't quite know what to say about the otherworldly sameness of that part of the country, but am sure it grows on one. It's worth studying at least the elementary aspects of the geology IMO. Be careful about flash floods, of course (don't wander too far into slot canyons, especially if you hear distant thunder), and don't explore too much without being absolutely sure how to find your way back. Tales of people getting lost and not found in time, or at all, can be horrifying.

One bit of advice. I see you have the Grand Canyon on your list.

If you don't go down into the canyon, at least to the plateau (about half of the way down), you will NOT have "seen" the canyon. And when they say take food and water, they mean it. Even the mule ride down and up will make you sore. And its the first time I ever got tired and sore walking down hill. And then wondered how I was ever going to make it back up before dark. That was when I was in my 30's and cycled 100+ miles in a day.

If you have time, I would suggest booking tickets to Cirque Du Soleil 'Ka' at the MGM Grand. Amazing show, well worth it, I would go back to see that and other Cirque shows. In nearby Boulder City, there is a nice big zipline.... 4 runs down the side of a mountain. I would show you pictures, but I had a laptop and camera stolen off of me that had them on it.

At the end of the trip, we have 3 days in Vegas, staying at the Imperial Palace. We hope it's nice we choose it based on location and price. We get back to Vegas on a Saturday and the Saturday night was over $300 just about everywhere. Cirque shows are something else, we have seen 2 in the past, 1 was in Florida, or maybe both were. We have tickets to Zumanity at New York New York. We were thinking about seeing another but couldn't decide on which one. I'll look into KA.

We have tried to zip line in 2 places now but both times the weather was so bad things got canceled, so we'll check that one out.

Thanks.

How are links done on this site?

It apparently depends on the browser and operating system. On my PC, all I have to do is tap the space bar at the end of the URL and the hyperlinks appear automatically. No such luck on my Mac laptop. I have AOL both places, but different versions. I don't have a method beyond that.

Thanks.

How are links done on this site?
It apparently depends on the browser and operating system. On my PC, all I have to do is tap the space bar at the end of the URL and the hyperlinks appear automatically. No such luck on my Mac laptop. I have AOL both places, but different versions. I don't have a method beyond that.

Copy and paste your link in the post. Then highlight the link by sweeping the cursor over it. At the top of the posting space under Message there is a tool bar. After you've highlighted the link, the "chain" icon should no longer be grayed out. Select it. Paste the link in the space provided and select Insert. That method should work with pretty much any browser.

At the end of the trip, we have 3 days in Vegas, staying at the Imperial Palace. We hope it's nice we choose it based on location and price. We get back to Vegas on a Saturday and the Saturday night was over $300 just about everywhere. Cirque shows are something else, we have seen 2 in the past, 1 was in Florida, or maybe both were. We have tickets to Zumanity at New York New York. We were thinking about seeing another but couldn't decide on which one. I'll look into KA.

We have tried to zip line in 2 places now but both times the weather was so bad things got canceled, so we'll check that one out.

Is it too late to change? I stayed at the Imperial Palace, never again! Long story short it took 5 room changes to find one that was semi-acceptable ( clean ) and talking with other guests in the lobby and elevators, this is a common occurance.

If it's not too late, pay the few extra bucks to go somewhere else IMO.

Here's the zipline link: http://www.flightlinezbootleg.com/

Pickup and drop off to the zipline occurs at the Excalibur.

Michael, thanks for the heads up on the hotel, how important is it to stay "on the strip"? There are many more choices at our price point if we get off the strip.

If you have a car and will not be drinking, no big deal. If you plan on drinking a lot it may be a big deal. Of course you can take a cab, but that can add up.

Check out the Rio, just off the strip on West Flamingo. I also heard that the Tropicana (on the strip) just remodeled. I have not set foot in either place in a very long time so I do not know.

I can attest to the Scenery at the Rio....Great place to stay. The staff dress...well Uh...rather 'Skimpely" and your wife may not appreciate it....but there are some of the most beautiful staffers there, that are on or off the strip....The Rio is Off Strip but the view is awesome from the rooms.....Try it, you may like it....It also has a continuious show that travels a monorail in the ceiling...The only drawback is, when the cars pass, it gets very noisey from the cheering...!