Pulled the trigger......Onkyo PR-SC5508

TasDom

I just bought the new one on Audiogon (thanks for the reminder alert Bill) so now the quest for a 5 channel amp.

I'm probably going with the XPA-5 but wanted to ask if I should do balanced or RCA cables. Also, which ones would you guys recommend? (I'll buy thru monoprice but don't know which ones to select.)

I'm so excited to finally give the RF-7II's and center the power they deserve!!! It's gonna be a long week or so waiting for delivery.[*-)]

I just bought the new one on Audiogon (thanks for the reminder alert Bill) so now the quest for a 5 channel amp.

I'm probably going with the XPA-5 but wanted to ask if I should do balanced or RCA cables. Also, which ones would you guys recommend?

Your welcome.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/166070.aspx

Bill

Congrats on the new processor, I have the older model Onkyo PR-SC885 and love it.

Definitely the XPA-5 is an excellent amp and I'd highly recommend it, if you ever want to to move to 7.1 the XPA-2, XPA-5 make a really nice combo.

I would recommend using the XLR connections, I definitely prefer them. My best recommendation for an XLR cable is to get a custom made Mogami snake cable with Neutrik XLR connectors. A snake cable is one cable with all channels in one and it just does not get any better than Mogami wire and Neutrik XLR's.

A great place to get one custom made http://www.proaudiola.com/

Here is a link to their 8 channel snakes

http://www.proaudiola.com/8-Channel-Mogami-2932-XLR-to-XLR-Analog-Snake-p/8-m2932-xlrf-xlrm-3-p.htm

The price may seem high at first but remember this is one cable which replaces many cables, in your case you could have one custom made with 5 channels for example. I have a 16 ft long 7 channel myself for my 7.1 system.

Posted Image

you do know that the whole line of these Onkyo's 5508 ,5008, 3008 ,808, 708 have a flaw in the PCB boards ?

the QC on these was really bad with the PCB boards have a flux solder residue left on them & that it migrates in the connectors when the units warm up .

the connectors then corrode , Onkyo has a press release on this QC problem .

And it seems to affect every one of the units sooner or later . my 5008 had it happen to as well .

there is huge thread on this problem over on the AVS forum.

Not trying to be a downer here but this is a well documented problem .

If you want I can pm the links .

A great place to get one custom made http://www.proaudiola.com/

Here is a link to their 8 channel snakes

http://www.proaudiola.com/8-Channel-Mogami-2932-XLR-to-XLR-Analog-Snake-p/8-m2932-xlrf-xlrm-3-p.htm

The price may seem high at first but remember this is one cable which replaces many cables, in your case you could have one custom made with 5 channels for example. I have a 16 ft long 7 channel myself for my 7.1 system.

Those look cool and a nice concept. Thanks for the links and input!

Not trying to be a downer here but this is a well documented problem .

If you want I can pm the links .

Yeah that's def. a bubble buster. [W] PM me the link if you would. I do recall Fish saying something about the xxx8's but thought maybe some isolated occurances.....

Thanks!

Good thing you are buying new with a warranty. Hope if it hiccups that it happens in the first two years!

I just read thru the link that Fastslappy sent me (well a lot of it as it's like 45 pages) and should there be issues related to their press release, Onkyo will honor a repair at their expense even if the warranty is over.

sending you a PM Scrappy

Onkyos support was terrible several years ago when I bought my Integra 9.8. I hope it has improved but I doubt it. My unit was DOA right out of the box. My dealer did not stock them so we had to wait for Onkyo to ship one. I waited 6 yes 6 months. The unit has worked great ever since but I will never buy another Onkyo. I read many other stories like mine on the HT forums at the time. Mine was not an isolated incident. They absolutely refused to give any assistance to current owners with firmware updates that were added to later production to solve real and sometimes very serious issues. My opinion is they are not a good company. They are a bad company that makes a very good value product if it works, but it could be a crap shoot.

Well I can appreciate the Onkyo owners that have had various issues with their units. With that being said, let's not forget the many that have had zero issues and are very content with their purchase.

IF I have any problems related to the Onkyo service bulletins, I will just have to deal with it at that time. Based on the Onkyo press release below, my bubble is still inflated! [:D]

Press Releases

Return to Press Releases

Automatic Continuous Change of Listening Modes and/or Remote Controller Commands are not accepted

06/21/11 - Models: TX-NR708, TX-NR709, TX-NR808, TX-NR1008, TX-NR3008, TX-NR5008, PR-SC5508, HT-RC270, HT-RC370

If
your receiver of the above mentioned models experiences the following :
Listening modes automatically change one after another. When this
problem occurs most commands will not be accepted.

Please
contact our Product Support Department at (800) 229-1687, option 3, to
confirm that this issue exists in your receiver. If the issue exists
you will be given further direction on how to have it serviced.

***This issue will be handled for you even if you are out of warranty (this only applies to US and Canada)

I have owned many Onkyo receivers, CD players and my current PR-SC885 processor. I have never had to contact Onkyo customer service since everything I have owned always worked flawlessly with no issues at all and none of them have ever failed me.

While nothing newer has impressed me enough to want to upgrade my processor yet, I would not be surprised if my next processor was an Onkyo as I have been very happy with every Onkyo I have owned and I have become very experienced at tweaking them to get a sound quality I love.

Great to hear Beechnut. Very similiar jumps from Pioneer. XT32 was also a decision maker as well as having a dedicated processor and amp. Not quite a year for me but 5 1/2 months allowed me to set aside some disposable income to pay cash. Patience is hard when you get the bug but well worth the wait to avoid getting into debt.

The hardest part is the week everything is in transit!