So did Kilpsch really dump the autotransformer on the Heresy III crossover?

STL

At least they're using film caps now. Looks like those power resistors are there for the padding instead.

I forget when it was, but we got to hear the H3 right next to the H2 and all I gotta say is whatever they're doing on the 3, it's turned the Heresy into a way better speaker.

....whatever they're doing on the 3, it's turned the Heresy into a way better speaker.

I agree. I have both the 3s and 1s with new caps in the crossovers. I have A/Bed them serveral times and like the 3s much better.

Here are some more pictures that I've posted before:

h3c1.jpg

h3c2.jpg

h3c3.jpg

At least they're using film caps now. Looks like those power resistors are there for the padding instead.

I forget when it was, but we got to hear the H3 right next to the H2 and all I gotta say is whatever they're doing on the 3, it's turned the Heresy into a way better speaker.

I agree the H3 was much improved. I think that was 2006 when we saw the revamped Heritage line. I think it was the best revamp the line has ever had. The H3 was killer and the revamped La Scala was a knock out. It took a while but I do like the new Khorn look.

The question is then, is the H3 better mainly because of the new crossover (which no longer uses an autoformer at attenuate the midrange horn) or is it mainly better because of the titanium new diaphragms in both the high and midrange horns? I would tend to think it is mostly the latter, but perhaps I am wrong and the autoformer weren't good. Anyone else care to chime in?

IMO I don't think the autoformer has anything to do with the improvement. I think that the change to higher order crossover slopes is what made the biggest difference. This is obvious just by the part count that you can see in the pictures.

of course....the steeper slopes

It looks like they were able to keep the efficiency and improve bass response. The older ones were designed to be on the floor and always lacked bass response unless put in a corner on the floor.

I remember that my old K Horns sounded the best when tri amped with an active crossover. It had nothing to do with the tri amping, it was that I was able to adjust each driver's level. I was able to get rid of my subwoofer and they really souded balanced by cutting the tweeters and midrange.

Good point. I see at least 9 caps and 5 coils (not to mention 4 resistors). Even if the midrange has a bandpass filter, one would theoretically only need 6 caps and 6 coils to get a 3rd order (18dB/oct) slopes on all filters. So I wonder Klipsch is doing exactly? Perhaps some of the larger caps are just higher quality bypass caps? Or maybe some Zobel networks were employed (to offset the elimination of the autotransformer).

I tend to think the lack of autotransformers in Hertitage series is most likely a cost savings measure, but other advancements to the filter design (and the quality of components used) along with the new titanium diaphragms have overcome that "loss".

One thing to keep in mind is that there are 2 crossovers in this system. The lower board is the woofer and the upper is the horns.

With 3 caps and 2 coils on the woofer you'd think 4th order at first, but what is the resistor for? I tend to think 3rd order with an impedance compensation network.

The horn network has just too many components to even make a guess!

I love to see the schematic for this guy!

• 6 years later...