Talk me out of this - LaScala transformation -

Guest " "

OK, so I posted a few times for some beater LaScala bass bins with the thought of using them for the cores of some 15" jubilee cabs. Joesportster steps up to the plate and offers me some cabs he rescued from a bar which had blown tweeters and at least one blown woofer...Joe gives me a great price and swears once I see the speakers...I'm going to abandon the operation to seperate the bottom from the top to proceed with my experiment. Well Joe was right. The pic's are what they would look like after the restoration. Cabs are Black Lacquer, which from doing my reaserch....once you recoat black laqcuer....the stuff melts and levels out. SO that would be great. Any paint experts out there. Next chioce is to knock off the grill molding and black formica them and add metal trim and turn them into LSI's. I don't have the heart to cut the tops off and proceed with the original intnetion. If someone has some beater cabs this might be a good chance to get yourself some workable cabs that would need less than one saturday to look great. I really would like to move forward with the 15" jub experiment....but would hate to do it with these cabs. Cutting up these cabs would be painful.

post-22082-13819800667224_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Either make LSI out of them or restore as is.

I don't know what your talking about when you say cores of jubilee's, unless your saying something like the Lascala bottom with 402/jube top, that's works OK also ? Jube bins are a pain to make, and about as hard to move as a Khorn, MWM is much easier to make but bigger and much harder to move around, easy with two people (with handles).

The K-43's I got from you a few years ago are in some Klipsch original mwm cabinets, for outside. [Y]

I do understand how it would be really hard to cut up an original, unless it was almost destroyed already.

If you have a good corner that is open, maybe just build up a pair of "your modded" lascala bins and slap a right triangluler sheet of plywood over it, add HF to suit, play in mono and see if you like it. If you do, then either hack the real La Scala bins for the second one or sell and build another pair of the first. Winter is coming and it sounds like you are looking for a project. It looks like 3 or 4 sheets of plywood gets the project started (smile).

post-42841-1381980068885_thumb.jpg

Lacquer won't melt and level, the thinner flashes too quickly and dries. It will, however, melt into the old lacquer surface and become one layer of paint. Polyester glaze is good for fixing chips and dents.

I wouldn't use automotive acrylic lacquer as it stays semi soft for ages. Nitrocellulose lacquer is what is usually used for guitars, it gets hard and would be good for speaker cabinets.

I would think that anyone with the chops to take on a Jubilee project could as easily make the center section as to chop up a La Scala. I would vote for fixing up the LS and selling it at a profit, funds to be used for the Jubilee. Like you, I hate to see a LS chopped up, its kind of like seeing someone ruin a classic car. Good luck with the Jub project, I think that one is beyond my woodworking skills.

Nor could I. Those are too well engineered as complete units, for both attractiveness and performance.

Are you absolutely sure you know how you could cut those apart without creating a misbegotten mess? Do you then have to finish off the new tops and bottoms of the separated units?

rotor with plung bit would make a quick cut. the resulting bass bin would get an additional top and bottom panel so no finish work would be needed there. don't need the tops at all and don't think they can be salvaged if I use a router to make the cut.....maybe if I se a circular saw with a guide...but I really don't need the tops at all.

For what you wanyt to end up with, I would start from fresh.

It's not that hard to build the small portion of the LaScala that you would be trying to salvage, years ago I assembled 12 bottoms in two days (I had already cut out enough ply for 24).

I was under the impression that you wanted to make a
dual 15 inch woofer cab, maybe I am wrong. You would need another pair for that
anyway so that’s quite a lot of mods (cuts and additions) so it might actually
be easier to start with a clean sheet of plywood. Top chop, side cuts and the
nose shaving that is necessary to transition into the final turn for the last
expansion. I am not sure how that would be accomplished, a mortising bit on the
router with a sliding table? See the diagram for the area in question.

post-42841-1381980070316_thumb.jpg