B&W DM604 S2.....wish me luck!

Youthman

• Moderators
Well, I picked up a pair of B&W 604 S2's
today. When I
picked them up, they were FILTHY and looked like they were in very rough shape.
Brought them home, washed the grills in the bathtub with laundry detergent, gave
the speakers a good cleaning and BAM...these look amazing! Not perfect but not
totally crap like I originally thought they were. Much of the "blemishes" was
just dust and dirt.

My wife went to Zumba for an hour so I had to act
fast! I rearranged the living room furniture, setup the B&W's and had some
demo time (they sound great), and then pulled out the Nikon. She came
home....the look on her face was PRICELESS! LOL. Our agreement when we bought
the house was no speakers in the house, only in the HT. I knew that up front
they could not stay but was just having fun with them and with her. I love the way they look in the living room.
We haven't had a TV in our home since we bought our house 4 years ago. Theater room has been plenty for us since we choose not to have cable. In the pics below, the couch is typically where the speakers are and thus our living room is very OPEN and connects to the open kitchen.

So then I started asking the kids what they
thought, they loved them there. Haha. They were helping me try and convince my wife that we need to
keep them there. Then I asked her, "What if we bought a TV to go on the wall? She
said only if she could get HGTV. DEAL! :) I'm calling tomorrow to see how
much it would cost to add Cable to our Internet Package.

Wish me luck!
BW-604-S2-1.jpg
BW-604-S2-2-Sm.jpg
BW-604-S2-3.jpg
BW-604-S2-4.jpg
BW-604-S2-5.jpg
BW-604-S2-2.jpg

BW-DM602-1.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice Youthman!!! Very nice..... Heck, I love the way they look in your living room...It actually looks like a B&W ad. Nice pics!!. And to think that someone, who sounds like she doesn't like speakers or a TV in your living room. Was convinced by a pair of speakers, to put a TV in your living room..... Is just strange...Good for you I say...Congrats and good luck.....DM602 vs RF-83????

• Moderators

Heck, I love the way they look in your living room...It actually looks like a B&W ad. Nice pics!!.

Thanks Audio. I agree. I have always loved the "look" of the B&W speakers. Just very stylish and almost sexy in a way.

And to think that someone, who sounds like she doesn't like speakers or a TV in your living room.

She wouldn't mind a TV. We had a small 32" CRT TV before we bought our home. Our land lord paid for Cable so my wife loved watching HGTV and something else of that nature. She liked watching the House Hunters and the home makeover shows.

When we purchased our house, we had it setup and decided since we really didn't want cable, we would sell the tv and entertainment center. It was really nice not having it because when we have our youth leadership meetings, the living room can easily accomodate 30 + people since the couch was up against the wall. Now that the couch is in a "normal" position, it definitely makes the living room "smaller".

Was convinced by a pair of speakers, to put a TV in your living room..... Is just strange...

Trust me, it has NOTHING to do with the speakers. It was when I mentioned buying a TV and she began to think about when she watched HGTV that she began to be open to the possibility of having speakers in the living room.

I jumped on CL and found several 55" TV's for around $500. Probably can get them a little less. I'll email a few and see.

DM602 vs RF-83????

Probably so....my buddy asked me the same thing tonight after I sent him some pics and told him about it but it's pretty unfair. Horn vs titanium dome tweeter and three 8"
drivers vs three 6" drivers. MUCH smaller cabinet and they weigh a LOT less than the 83's. Still would be fun to do some A/B's. More pics and a new thread to come. :)

• Moderators

When I first hooked them up, there was absolutely NO bass. When I put my ear to the woofers, I noticed the bottom two drivers on each speaker were not playing. Quick examination and there were no jumpers on the dual binding posts on the back. Pair of speaker wire made a quick fix and they were up and running.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how much bass they produced. Not boomy, very tight and smoothe bass. I guess I just wasn't expecting that much from 6" drivers. More than likely, the hardwood floors really help to reinforce the bottom end. Don't expect near as much in the HT due to carpet but it is a much smaller room too so who knows.

Definitely a different sound than Klipsch. Much less "revealing" but very smoothe and sensual, especially with horns, jazz, piano and acoustic. Overall I'm very pleased with their sound.

I'll try and do an A/B with my RF-83's in the HT.

Trust me, it has NOTHING to do with the speakers. It was when I mentioned buying a TV and she began to think about when she watched HGTV that she began to be open to the possibility of having speakers in the living room.

Ah...I see, thats understandable. Again, cool score Youthman!! I have wanted a pair of 801's since...the 80's...Good luck, with your search for a TV.

• Moderators

The only other B&W's I have owned were a pair of DM 602 S3 bookshelf speakers. This is my first floorstanding set from B&W. I've heard great things about the 800 series...they just aren't cheap.

I'm curious how the 602's will sound when I give it some power with Parasound amp on it. I've always heard B&W's need good clean power to drive them since they are much lower in sensitivity.

The only other B&W's I have owned were a pair of DM 602 S3 bookshelf speakers. This is my first floorstanding set from B&W. I've heard great things about the 800 series...they just aren't cheap.

I'm curious how the 602's will sound when I give it some power with Parasound amp on it. I've always heard B&W's need good clean power to drive them since they are much lower in sensitivity.

STAY AWAY FROM THAT PRETTY GIRL IN THE MINISKIRT.

I got caugth up with B&W's just like you, found a pair on Craigslist and then bought N801's and S800's. They sound amazing but are absolute high maintenence pigs with the power that they require (700 wpc monoblocks).

There are many other speakers out there that sound just as good but require a reasonable amount of power. I am now happily living with a 200 wpc amp and not battling ground loops or even thinking about dedicated circuits.

• Moderators

No worries tiger. IF she lets me keep them in the living room, there will likely never be a subwoofer or an external amp. That's what the Dedicated HT are for. I have everything I have ever dreamed of having (and more) in my HT. The B&W's would be just for TV watching and listening to music while I'm working on the computer, sitting in the living room, cooking etc.

Good news....my wife emailed me this morning saying....

Have a great day. Are you planning on purchasing an entertainment center for your speakers? lol

Looking good so far. [:D]

She
said only if she could get HGTV. DEAL! :) I'm calling tomorrow to see how
much it would cost to add Cable to our Internet Package.

Wish me luck!

Good luck! Very nice pictures. I'm glad HGTV is a cable station there because here it means "Honey Get The Vacuum" [:@]

Pair of speaker wire made a quick fix and they were up and running.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how much bass they produced. Not boomy, very tight and smoothe bass. I guess I just wasn't expecting that much from 6" drivers. More than likely, the hardwood floors really help to reinforce the bottom end. Don't expect near as much in the HT due to carpet but it is a much smaller room too so who knows.

Indeed Youth, IMHO the B&W's actually tighten up more when run with Bi-Wires[;)] I originally ran these with an Aura Inty with just the B&W jumpers but then when I moved them to the BAT I picked up a pair of Signal shotgun Bi-Wires from Frank and they really extended in both the upper end and lower for me[:D]

post-18681-1381980101692_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Just seen this, very nice and cool pics, love those floors and rug also. Yes

Thx Dtel.

I'm glad HGTV is a cable station there because here it means "Honey Get The Vacuum" Angry

That was funny. I'll vacuum if she will let me keep the speakers. [:P]

Kaiser, what model are your B&W's? I notice they have a different tweeter than mine do.