Best Home Theater subwoofer for < $1000?

eagle98

I'm looking for a subwoofer that will really put a smile on my face for less than $1000.

I'm not opposed to buying used, but it seems as though finding quality used subwoofers is not the easiest think to do.

I have a dedicated home theater room(media room) that I can close the door and turn off the lights. The dimensions of the room are 14x15x9'.

I'm looking in the Houston area and haven't been able to find a great local store to demo/audition speakers or subwoofers, but I gotta think there is one here in such a big city. Anyone that's lived here have a suggestion? I can't find any place to demo any RF-62 IIs or RF-82 IIs in Houston either.

Back to the subwoofer, I've have someone willing to sell me an old RT-12d for ~$500, but I've heard that I'd be better off with something like:

1) Epik Empire

2) SVS PB-12 NSD or a used PB-12 plus or ultra (if I'm lucky enough to find one)

3) HSU VTF-15H

Unfortunately, there's no place to audition any of these either, so I've just got to take advice from forums or reviews (which is fine, but frustrating)

Can anyone help with subwoofer selection under $1K?

For about $300 each you could build 3 tapped horn subs each with a LAB 12 driver, or build 2 a buy a Crown XTI 1000 with built in PEQ/Xover to driver them still for less than $1,000

Two or three subs is better than one to even out room anomalies and give you more output. My prescription would STOMP anything on your list.

For about $300 each you could build 3 tapped horn subs each with a LAB 12 driver, or build 2 a buy a Crown XTI 1000 with built in PEQ/Xover to driver them still for less than $1,000

Two or three subs is better than one to even out room anomalies and give you more output. My prescription would STOMP anything on your list.

Some people just aren't do-it-yourselfers but if you are, the above suggestion is a very good one. You'd never come close to using all the output of that setup in your room.

Do you know of a good audio video store in the Houston area I should check out to demo some subs or towers?

I've never shopped in Houston for speakers. I bought mine in Lake Charles, at a place called Lake Charles Music. It would be a 2 1/2 hr drive for you. As big as Houston is, you'd think there would be a place to demo speakers. Have you tried the dealer locator in the main site?

The other thing you could do is start a thread in the Home theater section asking to audition whatever series speakers you're interested in. Most people have their home speakers set up better than the stores do. Forum members normally jump at the chance to show off their systems.

Dave Mallette is in Seabrook. He may know of some places in Houston to demo if no users show up to demo. I don't think he has any subs in his systems, but you could contact him through the forum and check.

Bruce

I cut the plywood for his sub but he hasn't built it yet. He's going to build a Cinema F-20.

I was just going to jump in on the F20, Tuba or tapped horn. Depends if your a DIY'er or not. I cant wait to start my build. I just have a little more drywall and mud to get done before the snow fly's, and a little outdoor painting.

Yeah, thats right...soon it will be snowing here...

see the following thread. Build 2 of these and buy a Crown XTi 1000 amp for about $300. The cost should be $999 or less and trounce everything on the market that you can just "buy."With room gain, it's good for 15-70 Hz. and will shake the foundation of your house. It can feel like an earthquake if done right.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/167365.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

see the following thread. Build 2 of these and buy a Crown XTi 1000 amp for about $300. The cost should be $999 or less and trounce everything on the market that you can just "buy."With room gain, it's good for 15-70 Hz. and will shake the foundation of your house. It can feel like an earthquake if done right.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/167365.aspx

Sorry to thread jack but I was curious, I'm thinking about taking a bare wall in our living room and doing some custom built-in shelving, cabinets, etc. Looking at some of these tall tapped horns gave me the idea to build one, or two, at the ends of the built in. Against the corner walls. Seamless look, you wouldn't even know they are there. My built-in would house the TV and my Forte II's would be in front of the built-ins at the corners.

Would building these subs into cabinetry effect the sound, or as long as the opening is free would it sound fine?

That make any sense? See my very rough mockup.

Posted Image