Which Video Streaming / Bluray Rental Do You Use?

Youthman

• Moderators

For the past year, I have been using Blockbuster's "Blue Ticket" plan at my local blockbuster. It's $14.99/month and allows for 1 Bluray or Video Game rental at a time as often as I want. For someone that is pretty "tech savy" (loves gadgets, builds computers, designs custom websites etc)....for some reason, I've always been a late adopter to technology. I was the last person to get a Facebook, For a long time I thought it was dumb to want to have email on a phone or look at a website on your phone (have since changed my mind). It was only 2 years ago that I was given my first iPod Nano.

So yesterday, I signed up for the free month trial of Netflix. So far, I really like what I see with Netflix. Talk about super convenience! Click and 10 seconds later, I'm watching a movie, TV Show etc. I was concerned about download or lag....even with 10MB download connection, I have had zero hickups with streaming.

So far, Netflix looks promising but some I've talked to say the downside is it takes 28 days after DVD release for a movie title to appear on Netflix (if it appears at all). I definitely want the ability to stream but also to be able to rent Blurays as well.

Some have suggested Amazon and Roku and I'm sure there are a host of other options. So since I'm so "Green" when it comes to what's out there...I thought I
would inquire of the great audio minds on what they were doing, why they
like it etc.

Netflix isn't to bad except they never seem to add any movies you want to watch like the big blockbuster hits but at least its cheap. Hulu plus is another we use to catch tv series shows. Vudu would be one to try but its a rental based instead of monthly but they do 1080p and higher quality audio. Not sure if anything else out there is worthwhile I gave up looking for now since none offer real content at a reasonable value. Trying to stream blurays your still ahead of the curve which is unfortunate. With broadband connections as fast as they are now we shouldn't be far off from it. Roku is just a box player I don't think they offer anything other than bundling services which your ps3 or xbox360 but its a cheaper solution to having those if you dont want to play disc movies or games.

I use Netflix off my BDP which also has VUDU and Block buster and some others. If I want to see something newer than Netflix, I pay for the rental from usually Vudu. If I like the movie, you can buy it and keep it in the cloud and not have to worry about storage. Streaming is a very nice feature.

Youth, I have Netflix and like it for some things, but the compression of the audio falls short when I really want my system to help tell the story. So in that case, a very simple trip to redbox. Like a $1.65 or something. And, you can jump online for free to figure out what you want, the it will show you the nearest kiosk with the Bluray disk. No monthly subscription to boot.

I use amazon because I have prime! Totally worth 80$ a year just for the free two day shipping and 3.99 for any item overnight. When I bought my last two rsw-10d's they shipped from Maryland and I had them two days later for free. And there are a lot of free stuff for prime members on amazon as well. Tv shows movies music. We get discounts on a lot of things. Worth looking Into if your an Internet shopper at all like me.

For streaming there are many choices available. Netflix, VUDU, Cinemanow and Amazon just to name a few.

Netflix is ok and def. priced right but as others have stated, the availability of newer releases is very limited. There are still a plethora of selections.

VUDU and Cinemanow are pay per view streaming rentals and have great picture and SQ. Typically 3.99 to 5.99 per rental depending on the level of definition you chose. (SD-HDX) VUDU is actually owned by Walmart and you can get promo codes for free rentals on VUDU if you purchase a BR from Walmart. I hate Walmart but this has been a nice add on.

Streaming is a great convenience but IMO, there is still nothing like loading that BR disc into the player. As Beechnut stated, Redbox is a great deal and my preferred rental method. 1.50 per rental (return by 9:00 p.m. following day) is cheap and I have 4 locations within a 4 mile radius. It's best if you set up an account online and reserve your movie at the location you find it at. One swipe of your card and your off to your HT.[:D]

I personally use netflix, amazon prime, and hulu plus. I'm completely satisfied with Netflix. The new release thing isn't a huge deal for me since I have a whole bunch of other DVDs and Blurays in my queue. I have also used Vudu, but if I"m going to spend that much to rent something, I'd rather get the bluray

For the past year, I have been using Blockbuster's "Blue Ticket" plan at my local blockbuster. It's $14.99/month and allows for 1 Bluray or Video Game rental at a time as often as I want. For someone that is pretty "tech savy" (loves gadgets, builds computers, designs custom websites etc)....for some reason, I've always been a late adopter to technology. I was the last person to get a Facebook, For a long time I thought it was dumb to want to have email on a phone or look at a website on your phone (have since changed my mind). It was only 2 years ago that I was given my first iPod Nano.

So yesterday, I signed up for the free month trial of Netflix. So far, I really like what I see with Netflix. Talk about super convenience! Click and 10 seconds later, I'm watching a movie, TV Show etc. I was concerned about download or lag....even with 10MB download connection, I have had zero hickups with streaming.

So far, Netflix looks promising but some I've talked to say the downside is it takes 28 days after DVD release for a movie title to appear on Netflix (if it appears at all). I definitely want the ability to stream but also to be able to rent Blurays as well.

Some have suggested Amazon and Roku and I'm sure there are a host of other options. So since I'm so "Green" when it comes to what's out there...I thought I

would inquire of the great audio minds on what they were doing, why they

like it etc.

We do the blockbuster too, but its only like $10 a month online. Its one DVD or Blu ray at a time, which is awesome and is more then enough for our once a week (but you can time it to where you get 2-3 a week) movie watching. You can also go in store and swap to a new one, but there is not a close one anymore :( , except for one that's about a 20 min drive. Before I do that I will do a red box, there is one thats only 1/4 mile away! But for blockbuster I like the online feature, where you can put the DVDs in a Que, and have them listed from what you want first to last.

I have a Roku 2 XS feeding in to a 1 in 4 out HDMI splitter that in turn feeds the TVs in my house. The remote for the Roku is Bluetooth so I just carry it to the bedroom when I retire for the evening.

Most of my viewing is streamed from NetFlix by way of the Roku or the BD player. I am an Amazon Prime member but their "purchase" process for free videos is cumbersome so I rarely use their feeds. Every now and again I do though. I also have a number of other Roku channels set up that get occasional viewing.

Between the local broadcasts from Orlando & Tampa and the Roku I don't lack for something to keep me entertained. There's also a HTPC hooked up to the living room computer. Stored on it are about 300 movies ripped from DVDs. Honestly it's been so long that I've watched one of those that I might as well just clear them off.

At $100 delivered (or less) I think the Roku is one of the best entertainment values available.

For the VERY occasional "just out" Blu-Ray I hit one of the local RedBox machines. There are no less than 5 of them within 10 miles of my house.

I cancelled my DirecTV service earlier this year. I can't say that I miss it at all. My monthly DTV cost had grown to almost $150. Considering how little TV I watch it was just stupid to shell out that kind of coin. At one point I calculated that it was costing me close to $7 an hour to watch TV. DUMB! I went from $150 a month to under $15 a month.

There are a LOT of good streaming options AND content out there. And don't count out getting a small antenna for receiving local OTA broadcasting. You'll be amazed at how much better the picture is from OTA than cable or satellite.

• Moderators

These are great ideas guys. I do like the ability to keep the BR as long as I want with the Blockbuster but at $14.99/month, I'm not sure it's a great value.

I don't expect to use Netflix to watch high quality movies. For times I want to watch great PQ and Sound (Avatar, Avengers, Expendables 2 etc), I can rent from Redbox.

I'll check out the Roku...not familiar with it.