My Modified Forte' Speakers, I Don't Hear Anything Better -- What Is Wrong With Me?

cgregory4

Trust your ears, if they sound good to you nothing else matters.

If you feel you want to hear something else listen to other systems but don't jump unless your just blown away, you will know if you hear something that matches your taste in reproduction better than the fortes.

I didn't see if you said or not but you should consider a sub, integrated properly it will not take away anything from the fortes, only add to the bottom end where the fortes leave off.

I am glad to hear this. I have a Rythmic F15 coming. It was originally supposed to be here today, but I found out I will be waiting till Monday. I am stoked'

Thank you for the responses.

Frank W -- there will be nothing to 'work out'. [:D] I've located the Crites midrange boxes. I insist on giving them to you, as well as paying for shipping. Just email me your shipping address at your convenience. My 'busy-ness' is related to a sweet lady who has threatened to allow me to go to jail, if I don't get her my 2011 tax 'stuff' by Monday AM. I've worked in the oilfield since I was 14 -- I'm now an old man. But, frankly, this young lady scares me. [:o] Believe me, I won't 'call her hand'. Monday at 9, I'll be there. 'Hat in hand'.

dtel -- my favorite bass intro is Neil Young's 'Out on the Weekend' -- the first track on his 'Harvest'. I've always wondered what it would sound like if I integrated an REL into the 'picture'. But, for now, no sub.

Fish -- "too many microdots" LOL Well done!

John Chi-town -- Thank you for the data and Bob's comments. I suspect much of Alison Krauss's beautiful vocals reside in the tweeter/midrange overlap. I've not noticed any effect -- just heavenly audio. [:D]

Mighty Favog -- we will have to agree to disagree on the spikes. But, we're in good company. [;)] This is the best non-technical (and civil) discussion I've found on the couple/decouple viewpoints:

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/630091.html

My position: most solid base possible over the entire speaker base (sans the little metal buttons on the speaker base [:)] ) -- and the thinnest possible effective dampening between the flat stable granite/concrete/whatever base and the speaker base.

Brad -- I did not mod the crossover. However, to work my way through engineering school, I worked as a 'granny lady' soldering thousands of wire-to-pin connections for prototype military ship-board computers at TI. I shuddered when I saw the spades and screws! [:o] I rotated the spades to have flat-to-flat-to-flat surfaces and tightened the screws to maximum torque. I also mounted the crossover board vertically below the bottom baffle (not an easy chore) with 'loads' of industrial velcro -- with the wires facing up for easy connection. It is absolutely stable and 'decoupled' [:D]

Regards to all,

Greg

Greg;

Your welcome. Yes this forum is full of wonderfull members who take time to provide answers and civilized opinions on anything audio, not just Klipsch which we all hold near and dear.

Glad to hear that you are happy with the sound. By the way, the K 53-TI driver is currently used in the Cornwall III, and one other current Klipsch, maybe the Heresey III, only certain on the Cornwall III.

Take care.

John

• Moderators

I am glad to hear this. I have a Rythmic F15 coming. It was originally supposed to be here today, but I found out I will be waiting till Monday. I am stoked'

I was not always sold on subs but when done right it does work well.

I have heard people say there is not much music low enough for a sub to help, but that's just wrong. imo

Any speaker can benefit, even if they are big and you think they have enough bass, there is still info down there, you will just have to play with it until you get the right sound, it's easy to overpower the low end with a sub.

I use a sub with MWM's crossed at 40 which is as low as the sub amp goes. When you turn off the sub amp you can hear a difference, (deeper bass) if you can hear a difference something is there, simple as that, I would think.

The only thing is you need to keep the volume of the sub where it doesn't stand out and the volume is right there where the main speakers leave off.

I was told this by many here and I now believe it's true, I just don't get why some think a sub is not right for music ? It's only doing what the mains can't do, it there is info there you want to reproduce it.

• Moderators

Later on if you have any experience cutting wood you could make your own cheaper, there are many good designs out there, I like to stick to the designs that are proven to work, I am not into this "figuring it out on my own thing".

Your doing good, you are definitely off to a great start, the main thing is to have fun and listen to alot of music. [Y]

lovely looking set up and room thanks for posting. You should experiment with raising your Forte up so the centre of the mid horn is at ear level when you are seated. I have mine with the factory risers removed and the cabinets mounted up on 14 inch four post stands, they look awsome and sound even better. Give it a quick try and see what you think I believe that you will be pleasently surprised. Best regards Moray James.

signature pic?

The pic below your forum name you mean......I'll assume thats what you mean.......It's called your Avatar....click "edit profile" on the top, all the way to the top..... upper right hand corner of the page "edit profile".....then click on "Avatar".....then hit "choose file"....after you choose, it should load...if it does not.... try to drag your picture file down over where it says Avatar URL and drop it right over that empty space...Then Boom your done....hopefully. It's probably not going to be that easy, but if it is, your welcome..[H]...If it doesn't work ......I'm sorry!!![:(]..............Nice Classe' gear by the way!!!!!

Moray -- thank you for the compliment on my system. The pic at the bottom of page 2 represents the 'final' [;)] results of my efforts. The Forte' on the right shows up lighter because of the photo flash. The 'color' match between the Forte' walnut and the Hooker cherry console is clear and accurate on the left side. Everything, including the flat panel, is supported by the Hooker. I estimate the total weight to be around 500#. Or, maybe it just seems that way to my old back! [:o]

Audio -- thank you! I thought an Avatar must be related to an Android! [:D] I'll try it later today. The FAQ helped me post the page 2 photo of my system. With the help of your post, I'm hoping to 'get lucky' on the Avatar! I can't say enough about the quality of Classe' amps -- they simply 'loaf along' and create a great listening experience -- all 150+ lbs of it! [:o] I had to 'seek out' the Canadian-built units. Their new stuff is made in China. I know it shouldn't matter -- but it does, to me. Thanks again!

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Frank W -- there will be nothing to 'work out'. Big Smile I've located the Crites midrange boxes. I insist on giving them to you, as well as paying for shipping.

This is late in coming but:

Thank you Greg!

What a stand-up guy! I haven't had a chance to replace the OEM diaphrams yet, but I'm really looking forward to doing so.

I love this forum! So many folks willing to share their knowlege. On top of that, there are also great folks like yourself that go even further!

Thanks for sharing your love of fortes!!!!!

Take care,

Frank W.

Upgrading the components in my old Forte's did improve the sound, but the biggest improvement that I heard was bi-amping using a SS amp for the woofers and a tube amp for the horn high/mids. I had previously built custom crossovers for the speakers, so I simply split them to allow for the two amplifiers. It had an awesome combination of powerful bass and the tube/Klipsch sound we all love. Send me a message if you want more info, but just thought I'd give you another option. :)

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69587&d=1335134344

Upgrading the components in my old Forte's did improve the sound, but the biggest improvement that I heard was bi-amping using a SS amp for the woofers and a tube amp for the horn high/mids. I had previously built custom crossovers for the speakers, so I simply split them to allow for the two amplifiers. It had an awesome combination of powerful bass and the tube/Klipsch sound we all love. Send me a message if you want more info, but just thought I'd give you another option. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=69587&d=1335

Zingo,

I did the same to my Forte's, couldn't agree with you more.

Here is a link to my modified crossovers: showthread.php?t=94027&highlight=bi-amp+http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=94027&highlight=bi-amp+forte

lovely looking set up and room thanks for posting. You should experiment with raising your Forte up so the centre of the mid horn is at ear level when you are seated. I have mine with the factory risers removed and the cabinets mounted up on 14 inch four post stands, they look awsome and sound even better. Give it a quick try and see what you think I believe that you will be pleasently surprised. Best regards Moray James.

I'm with James here. In my view the small Klipsch speakers have an inherent flaw of not being as tall as they must be to get the midrange up to ear level.

I have my Quartets on home made stands and on either side of the TV. They give a very good center image.

WMcD