Our fighter vs their fighter (jets)

USNRET

Spectacular!!!!!!!..........I vote F-22..[Y]...I will give best trick of the day to the SU-30/35 at 10:25 -10:50. If I had to fly into enemy territory I would definitely want stealth on my side. The SU's also appear a bit more sluggish in low speed turns and in maneuverability. The F22'S also have the inner weapons mounts.....I'm not sure what the proper term is. I wish I had been a pilot...... I'm scared to....DEATH.... of heights......Never seen an F-22 in person, been to a number of air shows at MacDill AFB, and both Air and Space Smithsonians....THANK YOU very much for the vid...USNRET.

I used to work on F/A-18's and thought they could out-perform any other fighter in the world. The F-22 runs circles around the F/A-18. Can't wait to see a comparison between the F-22 and F-35.

I don't think they compare straight up, the F35 is like the current F16, single engine multi role while the F22 is like the F15 a pure bred race horse for one think, air superiority

I was mesmerized by the whole thing. We are definitely good at war, that is one area where the US has not slipped.

It better at a cost of $150 million per unit flyaway cost/$412 millionwith r/d factored it

and $44,259 per flying hour

and "In the early years of its service, the F-22 required more than 30 hours
of maintenance for every flight hour, with the total cost per flight
hour of $44,000, however in 2008 this figure had been lowered to 18.1
hours, and 10.5 hours by 2009;"

I used to work on F/A-18's and thought they could out-perform any other fighter in the world. The F-22 runs circles around the F/A-18. Can't wait to see a comparison between the F-22 and F-35.

22 and 35 are not in the same league. Think horses and the 22 would be a race horse and the 35 would be a plow horse. Oh, BTW, the Raptor is capable of SuperCruise which is >Mach 1 without afterburners...that's gas mileage.

Released stealth data: the F-22s over-performance includes a radar cross
section that is "better" than was contracted for. That classified
requirement has been calculated at a -40 dBsm, about the size of a steel
marble.

Price: the first 500 or so F-35s will cost $200 million each (without taking
R&D into account), while F-22s only cost $145 million each (without
taking R&D into account). The construction cost of the F-35 will
eventually go to about $100 million each as more are produced.

One more take off for you:

I recall a few years ago seeing footage of a Sukhoi...don't recall which one...come to a full stop in mid air, rotate 180, and go in the opposite direction on pure, raw, vectored thrust.

Not sure how useful that would be or whether any of ours can do that, but pretty incredible trick.

Dave

Spent a couple of weeks on Hainan previous to that incident. Seriously isolated place...

Dave

Since you said it was prior to the incident, I will assume it was not you I met in the airport.

Story: We arrived via leased G-5 and with the greeting we were given [8o|] passport stampage did not occur. Some time later I needed to make a rush trip back to the U.S. of A. while the G-5 needed to stay there for the rest of the crew. I stroll my happy butt down to the airport and buy a ticket. The clerk asked for my passport, I hand it over and get quizzed on the fact that there was no entry stamp which I could do nothing but shrug my shoulders.

Done with that I sit down and start a conversation with an American gent. A few minutes later several of my host country's, eh, officals come in, start looking around and quickly zero in on my location. My new found friend looks at me, looks at them and scurries off with a 'see ya later over the shoulder'.

I explained why I was in their country and a couple of radio calls later I was free to await my winged chariot.

Loved the look on that guy's face though.

Pretty cool. Been through a LOT of Chinese bureaucrats. Couldn't help but notice how much things change but remain the same. During my previous times in Asia in the 70s and 80s, I road a lot of buses complete with chickens and other farm animals. By the mid 90s things had modernized. Rode South China Airlines...complete with chickens and farm animals...into Sanya.

Flew out of an old Mig base where the runways were largely being used as a threshing floor out to a large oil rig in the South China Sea. SCS is one of the most spectacularly clear waters anywhere and sea life was clearly visible for a 100 feet or more.

Sanya looked like the Mao China of the 50s, with white gloved police on pedestals in the street interesections waiting for a car so they could stiffly direct traffic. Also the only place in Asia I recall seeing "eating dogs" openly being sold in the market. Non-Chinese were very rare there at the time and the local folks were very curious and friendly.

Interesting place...

Dave