advice needed on digital multimeter selection

Daddy Dee

The Klipsch forum has been a source of so much learning for me in audio, that I am continually appreciative for what has been offered. Kindness is extened to questions asked in ignorant bliss. This question is pretty much out of just plain ignorance. Am starting to have a bit of apprehension about being a novice tackling even the novice friendly Bottlehead kit.

Getting a few things together in preparation. One thing needed is a multimeter. Dan Schmale has a recommendation on the Bottlehead forum, but I need a bit of help comprehending the recommendation:

Digital Multimeter - I suggest a used Fluke for under $80, often under $50, nice, autoranging, some have capacitance measuring - you need a meter that will measure 200V AC and 500V DC (455V in Paramount) safely. Those are rounded to the next 100V increment above what is seen in Bottlehead kits.

I see gobs of Fluke meters on Ebay, but don't know which are among the models that would accomplish these measuring tasks as needed.

Any suggestions as to particular models of Fluke or other makes of meters or any advice about what is needed are appreciated. Thanks.

This could be a can of worms...

What is your budget?

I have a Fluke 77, had it for years and it still woks as new. Great stuff, on all their models. You can also get some of the other brands for cheap, that will work well. Most of the digital multimeters are autoranging, meaning if its on volts, work from millivolts up to a kilovolt or more. Resitance the same way. Some will measure freq., but usually within a narrow range.

You can get one from $30 on up...

Bruce

There's no need to spend a fortune on a multimeter. Autoranging types are abundant, and are worth having since you won't have to select the measured range. MCM electronics has quite a few of their Tenma brand meters which are very reliable and about as good as anything else out there. Fluke is fine also, but probably not worth the additional expense.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/

I can't disagree that a budget model from Parts Express will probably be all you need for this project.

OTOH: I have long owned a Wavetek 37 which I selected because it will measure capacitance and inductance. It seems it is now out of production and at least on website suggests the following as a replacement:

http://www.iwhtech.com/uploads/Amprobe/37XR_A/media/37XR_A_doc_1.pdf

WMcD

Don't be afraid of a used Fluke - I have a couple of 8024A handheld DVMs over 30 years old and still working fine. Then again, a fellow came by with a $5 DVM from Harbor Freight that tested as accurate as the Flukes. There are many choices besides those that would work fine, check Parts Express.

I have used several, common electric from home depot, blue point, craftsman, and now one made for snap on with the Cat name slapped on it. I liked them all and all worked as long as I owned them. The craftsman I owned was a great multimeter I bought around black Friday which is coming up in about a month, for 10.00 normally 20.00, the only reason I don't have it along with the others. Is they do not hold up to getting ran over by jlgs e400aj's. Which I don't think you would have to worry about that. Other then that as long as they have good features and a good name then you shouldn't have to worry.

Gentlemen, thanks for the advisement here. Good food for thought. Andy, i was thinking that sticking the wires to my mental work would be a step up!

I have extra heart monitor stick on probes, just put one on each temple and adjust to where it 'feels' right. [li] ....Taz