LED VS PLASMA

rennoc442

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rennoc - I'm really glad you asked this question. I had been saving for a long time and ordered a 70" Elite from a local dealer for a price far less the msrp. Well production issues, delays & more delays from the initial order in August just turned into "we don't know when they'll ship". Soooo... after reading many reviews, etc. I changed direction and ordered a 65" VT50 Plasma from Panasonic. "Allegedly" it should be here next week sometime. I ordered this sight unseen but read so many positive things, I thought I probably won't go wrong. I have always gone the LCD route historically and really like the picture of LCD's. I was able to lay eyes on the VT50 at a local best buy but they didn't have a magnolia so it was out in the main populous under the fluroescent lights and it was 'ok.' I know with minimal tweaking it will probably look much better and the fact that the set was $2500 less than the Elite will take a bunch out of the sting of the 5" loss of screen size. I have looked at the Sharp 80" (LE44U I think) and it's ok - but the picture did not knock me out although the size is cool. Eventually I would like to return to the projector (I used to have a 106" screen with a Mitsubisshi projector in my crudely modified garage.) Next year we are putting an addition on our house and I have permission to sound insulate the basement portion and make a "theater" (it still has to function for other purposes - windows will be included etc) with the 24' x 23' space. For now I just want a TV pic that will wow and make movies fun as right now I'm watching movies on a 32" 720p LG [:)] I appreciate Gilberts take on Plasmas - I will post thoughts here after it gets here. Hopefully it gets here! I don't post that often, but I read a lot here and am grateful for all of you and your insights and experiences, I have and continue to learn SO much! Thank you!

Rennoc good choice on TV my friend. You're gonna love the PQ on this set, it is just simply amazing! Just a heads up, if you are planning on getting your set calibrated, you have to have at least 300 viewing hours on it before a tech will calibrate it. I had a free calibration with my purchase from BB, and the ISF tech that came out said he didn't feel good calibrating it till it reach the 300 hour mark. This was a few weeks ago so I could get more hours on the screen. He's coming back Monday to finish the job. One thing I've learned about this set, the longer you watch it, the better the PQ gets. As the gases in the screen start to settle, I've notice the colors becoming richer, and the image getting sharper. Once again enjoy your purchase, make sure to take some pictures when you get it all setup!

To me the picture seems fake, it seems...I guess I would call it digital? Also the blacks are not very black, alot of "flashlight" happening. On the 120hz, I sometimes get picture blur when things are moving fast across the screen.

This is my problem with LED as well, it just doesn't look natural to me and the blur drives me nuts. For plasma I've been looking at the panasonic GT50 series. ST50 is supposed to be best bang for the buck, but I like a couple of the extra features in the GT50. Before you buy, check prices on Amazon, I'm guessing you can get a better deal.

To me the picture seems fake

Yes, that is called the soap-opera effect. On my Sharp it is "film-mode" I believe or something like that. I keep it turned off, if it's on it looks like the people are too real or something. It's weird and I don't like it.

Rennoc good choice on TV my friend. You're gonna love the PQ on this set, it is just simply amazing! Just a heads up, if you are planning on getting your set calibrated, you have to have at least 300 viewing hours on it before a tech will calibrate it. I had a free calibration with my purchase from BB, and the ISF tech that came out said he didn't feel good calibrating it till it reach the 300 hour mark. This was a few weeks ago so I could get more hours on the screen. He's coming back Monday to finish the job. One thing I've learned about this set, the longer you watch it, the better the PQ gets. As the gases in the screen start to settle, I've notice the colors becoming richer, and the image getting sharper. Once again enjoy your purchase, make sure to take some pictures when you get it all setup!

Well its done and should be here on weds! I got a killer deal on it and 4 glasses to boot! I just saw that I can have the geeks come out for free and do a calibration, since I am a silver level member at Best Buy!

Will be posting pics soon!

Well its done and should be here on weds! I got a killer deal on it and 4 glasses to boot! I just saw that I can have the geeks come out for free and do a calibration, since I am a silver level member at Best Buy!

Will be posting pics soon!

Did you get your tv yet? Lets see some pics! Best Buy uses ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) as appose to THX for their tv calibrating. Just got mine done on Monday, and the picture does look noticeably better. Like I was saying earlier in the post, the ISF guys want plasmas to have at least 300 viewing hours before they calibrate it, so just keep that in mind when it comes time to make your appointment. Congrats again on your tv purchase, I think its a great set, and will server you well for a long time.

It pays to check out threads on your TV at sites like AVSForum. I just happened to be browsing the thread for my TV and noticed that it said to use the 'User' default to make custom settings for the TV. Duh! However, I had used the 'Movie' and 'Game' settings for custom settings. Both Movie and Game have their own settings that even if you make the same picture adjustments the picture will be different. So I changed to the User setting and then re-calibrated with Avia. Huge difference. In Movie mode everything was much darker and less dynamic. In User mode everything is brighter, sharper, just overall much much better!

Just got it hooked up last nite, and am now going to test her! We are watching MIB 3 3D! Should be fun!

Nice man! Get some pics up and let us see! From what I've read the VT series from Panasonic are up there with the best PQ this year. I'm very pleased with my GT, best picture I've ever had under my roof!