LED VS PLASMA

rennoc442

So a few days ago, my wife and I went walking into best buy to look for a gift for a family member. In the front there was a stack of unsold TV's from the black Friday rush. As we are looking at the 60 inch LED's, our fav salesman comes up pushing a 65" Samsung LED!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+65%26%2334%3B+Class+(64-1/2%26%2334%3B+Diag.)+-+LED+-+1080p+-+120Hz+-+HDTV/4854319.p?id=1218552486991&skuId=4854319

For $1499.00 it was a great deal we thought! Got it home and well it is nice, but its not what I was hoping for as far as refresh rate (120hz) and isn't 3D capable (I don't need it but if I am going to spend the money..).

So went back in today and saw an awesome plasma that just caught my eye!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+64%26%2334%3B+Class+-+Plasma+-+1080p+-+600Hz+-+Smart+-+3D+-+HDTV/4912252.p?id=1218577565150&skuId=4912252

So for an extra $1500 I can get a TV I know I will love for a while (until I do the projector!).

My question is I guess, LED or Plasma? I do not want to spend the extra money, but the way I see it why buy something I wont be happy with in a year or two.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My plasma is like a room heater. My LED is much cooler. They really both look very good. Out of curiousity, why is 120 hz not a high enough refresh rate?

Here is the same plasma tv you linked to minus dnla for $2,000:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung---64%22-Class---Plasma---1080p---600Hz---Smart---3D---HDTV/4848202.p?skuId=4848202&id=1218551143750

I love my plasma and would buy it again in a heart beat. Outstanding PQ and has all the bells and whistles I'll ever need. If you want to save a little cash I recommend the model below the one I have, it's the ST50 from Panasonic. It's got the same screen the GT and the VT have and the improved black filter as well. And if you go into BB to take a look make sure to ask for the remote so you can adjust the brightness, a lot of the time the plasmas are turned down to make the LEDs next to them pop out at you more.

To me the picture seems fake, it seems...I guess I would call it digital?

While LED LCD's are inherently "brighter" than most plasmas and the color can appear to be more vibrant, plasmas have more "natural" and realistic(not oversaturated) colors that are hard to beat. Most consumers may not want to admit it, but TV mfr's are still trying to duplicate the beautiful natural colors and the blackest blacks and the whitest whites that the best(Sony WEGA/XBR) CRT TVs ever made provided. The best plasmas will get you the closest IMO.

Bill

To go further on what Mark said, the Sharp would have been my next choice if I couldn't get my Panasonic. It's got a great picture also, and the size to cost ratio Sharp is able to do is just great. And you also don't have to worry about the possibility of retention/burn in from LED-LCD's, though its not as likely to happen with newer plasmas today, there is still a chance to get IR if not burn in if you leave a stationary image on the screen for a couple hours. So there are pro's and cons to each technology it's just comes down to which cons you are more willing to put up with.

I'm pretty happy with the Sony XBR2 (2006) (60HZ) with the OTA live broadcasts. Some of the "taped" programs do tend to push the color saturation of the flesh too much.The HDV/Bluray movies I burn to disc are very good also. The blacks are not very noticeable unless you have a side by side with a night scene with stars to a CRT set. (I had an older one) The difference then is a lot and extremely noticeable. The commercial Blurays that I have seen have little or no pixelation during rapid movements. My HDV/Bluray movies have no blur or pixelation and that's with swinging the camera back and forth as fast as you can.

JJK

To me the picture seems fake, it seems...I guess I would call it digital? Also the blacks are not very black, alot of "flashlight" happening. On the 120hz, I sometimes get picture blur when things are moving fast across the screen.

whew!! Thank god! I thought I was the only one that thought 120hz looked fake. I will never own one! Plasma fr life for me! I've been looking at Panasonic plasmas for a second tv lately.

To me the picture seems fake, it seems...I guess I would call it digital? Also the blacks are not very black, alot of "flashlight" happening. On the 120hz, I sometimes get picture blur when things are moving fast across the screen.

whew!! Thank god! I thought I was the only one that thought 120hz looked fake. I will never own one! Plasma fr life for me! I've been looking at Panasonic plasmas for a second tv lately.

Wow someone who agrees or I guess will admit they agree! I guess growing up around tubes and going to theatres, I love the warm look, not the sterile look of today's LED's. When we got the unit home, and went through the auto settings, my dad loved the dynamic setting the best! To me it was the movie mode that was the best preset mode.

I will play around some more with it, try to do some calibration.

If I remember right the on some of the sharps (like mine) they are 120hz but the processor in them makes them look like a 240hz tv>

that's how mine is as well. The specs say 120hz, but on the box its called Clear Motion Rate of 240. What a joke. Thats like saying this engine is rated at 100hp, but it really feels like 150hp. Where is the bs button when you need one??!!