what speaker wire does Klipsch recommend?

saddler3

Klipsch offers Monster wire upgrades for some of their speakers. I imagine that they are a really good synergy since I personally think most Monster cable, that I've listened to, tends to sound a little on the dark side when used on any same speaker, with same electronics, as compared to say Audioquest, Kimber, Discovery or Cardas. I believe they tend to reduce the harshness from lesser electronics. Good luck.

I am unaware of Klipsch actually recommending a specific brand of cable; I can speak from experience and from local audiophiles that Klipsch and Kimber get along very well together.

I use Nordost for my interconnects because they seem to bring out detail without a hint of harshness.

Cable purchasing is possibly the most difficult decision to make, given the vast number of options available: I can say without any doubt that it does make a difference with higher-quality components.

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Channel

Klipsch RS-3 surrounds

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Harmon Kardon AVR520 Receiver

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Nordost Moonglo Digital Coax

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

A big-*** HDTV

Klipsch's 70's era Owners Manuals state: "Consult your local Dealer to determine the best cable system available in your local area. As an alternative to a special cable system, common lamp cord will provide satisfactory performance"

The older RF-* Series Owners Manual state: "For Conventional Connection - Use 16-guage or larger speaker wire."

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 06-16-2002 at 08:23 AM

Monster cable has been known to sound not only a bit darker but a bit weightier in the bass region. I'm not talking Monster zip, I'm talking the more expensive. This is just the kind of subtle change to tonal balance, for the better I think, that would ameliorate some of the shortcomings many have noted on this forum. We've all read the posts...How can I get more bass from my XXXX?....Why does my XXXXX sound harsh? One might get this with some electronics, Sony receivers come to mind, where the tonal balance there is tilted upwards. Mix a relatively "bright" and "dry" source to a most "revealing" speaker and I think a cable like Monster or MIT might sound better to many.

This message has been edited by SOUNDJUNKIE on 06-16-2002 at 09:24 AM

I am using generic bulk #12 speaker wire from an electrical supply house. i am using the Yamaha DSP-A1 processor with a Yamaha mx-1 amp on the front. Driving my Klipsch chorus II'S and the sound is unreal.I listen to all types of music from big band,soul/funk,jazz,pop and of course 80's heavy metal ! i also listen to vinyl records as well as digital cd's . I have tried Monster cable and noticed not one difference so i returned it and kept the generic. I also have The Klipsch sw15 sub an M&K mx12 sub, Klipsch Academy center, with Klipsch kt-ds thx surrounds for the front and rear effects. The Yamaha has a front effect channel. I am using a Marantz cd63se for cd,a thorens turn table with a sumiko bluepoint special cartridge for vinyl, a pioneer elite cld95 laser disc modified for ac3 for laser discs and a sony dvp-s7700 dvd player. hope this helps. good luck with your choice in speaker wire.

Klipsch has never had a particular speaker wire as a recommendation...except maybe now, since they have a business agreement with Monster cable. As long as it is good wire of sufficient guage to effectively carry the signal from your amp to the speakers, it is good enough!! Any details other than that are completely up to you and the depth of your pockets! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

Gee, we had hot discussions about this in the past.

I'm a member of the zip cord standard bearers. On the other hand, some people report improved results with super wire of all sorts. Who am I to say they're imagining things? I'm not there.

A fair approach is to make sure you can test out the super wire and return it if you're not convinced of its merits. Also keep in mind what sort of equipment you can buy with the money.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 06-17-2002 at 09:56 PM

Zip cord was good enough for PWK...must have SOME merits!! I actually like the visual effect of the old cloth wrapped appliance cord...just something about that cloth houndstooth outer covering that I like!! Besides, it matches so well with my antique toaster and sunbeam mixer!! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

I'm sure some of today's exotic cables can sound different, depending on the rest of the equipment. But make sure you are really hearing what you think you hear.

You may hear differences in cables. I did. Couple years back I participated in a study on the audibility of changes in speaker cable. I went in with an open mind. During the test I was sure I could hear the difference. Then I saw my results: indistinguishable from random chance.

Over twenty years ago, PWK had a chance to hook up with a fancy cable manufacturer (was it Monster?) to do the internal wiring on his speakers. After experimenting, he decided against it. He said: "I defy anyone to hear a tenth of a dB difference!"

After listening to my Klipsch speakers for several years, I decided to try something different and bought some AQ type6 speaker wire. This was mid-90's. I could hear the difference in the AQ and the Munster I had been using previously. In fact it wasn't an improvement,IMO. Added a slight sibilance with some voices on CD's that wasn't as noticeable before, and the hi's a tad more harsh at high db's.

I prefer the AQ with the warmer Synergy's I use now. Improved clarity most noticeable with center channel dialogue in HT.

I imagine the difference would be less noticeable with a 'brighter' or 'more forward' sounding speaker,such as Reference, than with the 'warmer' Synergy's. But then, who knows? I don't. And I don't really care. MY speakers sound better to ME now, and that's all that matters to me!

Good luck!

Keith

Oh Crap.

Sunday I changed my speaker wire back to my old Transparent wire. I was using DHLabs Silver Sonic T-14 speaker wire.

I could tell a difference. Better highs,wider sound stage, but less bass with my Heresey's.

After reading BOA's post I'm not sure anymore.

Danny

Interconnect cables, no doubt, make a much greater improvement in systems than speaker wire. Upgrading to Transparent cables in my system probably made the biggest difference out of anything I've done. I have tried (on loan) some Transparent speaker wire that ran around 850.00 bucks an 8' pair. They seemed to lower--blacken the back ground a little and I even a/b with a Tracy Chapman C.D. and it was noticable on a couple tracks. As for the overall sound I really couldn't tell the difference compared to my regular cable which is under 80.00 bucks a pair..

------------------

2 Channel System:

Klipsch Epic CF-2s

McIntosh C-15 Preamplifier

Adcom GFA 5500 Amplifier

Music Hall MMF-5 Table

Adcom GCD 700 CD

Adcom ACE-515 AC Enhancer

Transparent Audio Cabless>

Well, I didn't participate in the last great speaker wire "discussion". But I did keep up with it. I don't believe the following source was quoted or referenced.

This is a link to Roger Russell's Great McIntosh site. His site contains a tremendous amount of information. This link documents McIntosh's thoughts and testing of speaker wire, while he was there.

http://www.sundial.net/~rogerr/wire.htm

I'm sure this will not end the "discussion" but it will provide some additional input for those that are undecided.

In addition, the article What About Wires Longer Than 50 Feet? contains 2 graphs on male and female hearing loss with age. This could explain why the female "significant others" complain "It's too loud!!"

Mike

This message has been edited by Good2BHome on 06-19-2002 at 11:49 AM

I have a denon 2801/rotel rb-976 amp connected via MIT T2/330 Series II ic's and am running MIT T2 speaker wire and T3 Digital Cables to my KG4/KV3/KG1.2 and would have to say that once I wired everything up with the MIT's it was night and day. The soundstage really did increase greatly, and the sound was much warmer and musical (digital sources) then when I had it wired with monster. If you are not using tubes then I would suggest you audition MIT cables or straightwire (ic's) if you get the chance. I spend around $300 for all of my cables, and greatly enjoy the money I spent for these (got them used, can resell them for what I paid or more). Some people say that cables don't make a difference, but to me with my system and my idea of "musical sound" and setup (placement of speakers goes a long way to good sound one of the most important areas) they did indeed make a positive difference.