Repurpose an old vintage Stereo console

Turbox

Just wondering if any of you have taken a vintage Stereo console and brought it up to todays standards.

1. What did you use for speakers

2. What did you use for amplifier

3. Did you use an iPad

I found this old console which looks fantastic, its gutted, and empty. I was thinking maybe Heresy II`s in a two channel with a possible sub, with an Ipad maybe.

post-57425-13819826612434_thumb.jpg

Stop. Stop.Stop.

Ugly truth, It's almost impossible to take a console beyond mid-fi. First, except for the ones that had one movable speaker, you are locked into the console's spacing. In other words, no placement. No overcoming room issues, depth of bass, singing mid-range, highs etc. These are almost always too short for, say, the minimum 7ft spacing you would expect to need with almost any Klipsch speaker.

The rest is all very doable, but you really can't get away from speaker placement issues. If you build a room around them you are fine, but again IMO, it ain't gonna work.

However, re-purposing a console cab is a different story altogether. They make wonderful Pez Dispensers, you could get some serious record storage out of them, spare room for midgets, etc. For this one either put some of those Spanish voodoo candles on top, a few chicken feet and candles and you can have a thriving in-your-home seance business. Conversely this console would lend itself to a a white linen cloth, a cross or two, some medievalist knight's Armour., a haunch or two, maybe Henry the 8th singing I'm Enery the 8th I am.

Jess funnin, except for the reality of speaker placement.

Stop. Stop.Stop.

Ugly truth, It's almost impossible to take a console beyond mid-fi. First, except for the ones that had one movable speaker, you are locked into the console's spacing. In other words, no placement. No overcoming room issues, depth of bass, singing mid-range, highs etc. These are almost always too short for, say, the minimum 7ft spacing you would expect to need with almost any Klipsch speaker.

The rest is all very doable, but you really can't get away from speaker placement issues. If you build a room around them you are fine, but again IMO, it ain't gonna work.

However, re-purposing a console cab is a different story altogether. They make wonderful Pez Dispensers, you could get some serious record storage out of them, spare room for midgets, etc. For this one either put some of those Spanish voodoo candles on top, a few chicken feet and candles and you can have a thriving in-your-home seance business. Conversely this console would lend itself to a a white linen cloth, a cross or two, some medievalist knight's Armour., a haunch or two, maybe Henry the 8th singing I'm Enery the 8th I am.

Jess funnin, except for the reality of speaker placement.

That might be so, but what if a guy were to mount a large touch screen monitor to the underside of the lid, and a thin PC and amps down in the guts? Build a long style (60" X 15" X variable") table tuba to fit into the cabinet, and postition the Heresy's out from that?