The Best HDTV?

Joe Shmoe

Can anyone give me a recent update or quick rundown on which brand is on top now? Either that or point in me in the right direction? I'm looking at getting a 60-70" HDTV in the next few weeks and haven't paid much attention to specs lately. I do like the Samsung LED @ 240Hz. I don't need it to be a "Smart TV", just want a good picture Thanks!

You might want to put up a price range.

For PQ, check out plasmas.

Without knowing your price range. Most of the better quality plasmas are SMART TV's. These are very good prices for super picture quality TV's:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/463402957

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/463932658

I have the PN59D6500(last years model) and am very pleased with it. I paid $1199.00 open box. This is the 60" current model.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/463572590

As mentioned, you will do just as well or better with the equivalent Panasonic plasmas.

Bill

Is plasma "old" technology? I thought LED was the latest and greatest (aside from OLED)? Is plasma @600Hz better than LED @ 240Hz?

Plasma is "older" than LED LCD but there is a reason the Pioneer Elite Kuro plasmas are still the best of the best of flat panel TV's, even though they don't produce them anymore. Pioneers technology was so advanced that they lost $$$ on every unit sold when they had to drop the prices just to compete.

Yes, 600Hz plasma refresh rates is superior to the 240Hz LED refresh rates, but the LED LCD's are getting better. Some, including me think the 240Hz looks artificial kind of "soap opera-like".

Bill

My price point is around $2500. I already own a 46" (720) Panasonic Viera that we watch daily. I am pleased with that, so I imagine the 1080 plasma would be that much better. I do like LED but I can understand how it looks somewhat fake. I will look more into the Panasonic models for sure. Thank you for your input!

It has been my experience, when considering a plasma tv, to evaluate the room/area where it is to be used. A plasma tv is very vulnerable to background (behind the viewers) lights (ie: windows, light fixtures, etc.. ). Reflection images can be very distracting...

It has been my experience, when considering a plasma tv, to evaluate the room/area where it is to be used. A plasma tv is very vulnerable to background (behind the viewers) lights (ie: windows, light fixtures, etc.. ). Reflection images can be very distracting...

I will be putting this TV downstairs, with little chance of sunlight. I do know what you are taling about though... our 46" is upstairs and is miserable during the day with all the reflections.

I got the 65 VT50 this month and so far I am very happy with it. I agree with the point about background light - mines in the basement so it's not an issue. I went this direction after reading a lot of reviews. The blacks are wonderful and the picture "tweak ability" is amazing. I may seek out calibration down the line, but the settings offered out of the box are great! Football is a blast, movies are amazing! I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go for the gt50 either. Good luck!

Is plasma "old" technology? I thought LED was the latest and greatest (aside from OLED)? Is plasma @600Hz better than LED @ 240Hz?

Plasma is "older" than LED LCD but there is a reason the Pioneer Elite Kuro plasmas are still the best of the best of flat panel TV's, even though they don't produce them anymore. Pioneers technology was so advanced that they lost $$$ on every unit sold when they had to drop the prices just to compete.

Yes, 600Hz plasma refresh rates is superior to the 240Hz LED refresh rates, but the LED LCD's are getting better. Some, including me think the 240Hz looks artificial kind of "soap opera-like".

Bill

+1 for kuro. I have never seen a set that looked better than mine to date. Well except for a professionally calibrated one that was the exact same model a few months ago at a high end store. And also the mount you are talking about on amazon, is it a cheetah mount? If so I have the full articulating one from them I think it was 70 and it works like a champ and is a monster of a mount.