Centre channel for jubilee's

Turbox

Turbox,

The MWM sounds better with a 402 K-69 than the Jubilee.

I have a spare Double MWM that I am giving to Kevin Harmon, he hust has to come get it.

Buy those two MWM doubles with 402 horns from JC and weasel a third Double MWM from him and buy a third 402, run those three for your fronts and move your Jubilees to surround duty!!! :rolleyes::D

You will have less in your front end than you do in your Jubilees with a system that will kill what you are running now!

Rog

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

Since the centre speaker will be carrying mostly vocals (in the case of movies, anyway), I don't think its requirements are as stringent as those for left and right speakers. A Belle, La Scala (I or II) or 510 JubScala should do a fine job between a pair of Jubilees.

I've found it's easy to get in a mindset where constant upgrading is seen as inevitable. It's not. It's almost like a Ferrari owner who's obsessing over which engine management chip will give him a few more horsepower, instead of just enjoying the ride.

The jump from Heresy to Belle in the centre is very significant. Any further jumps will not be as noticeable, unless you switch off all the other speakers for test purposes. In normal listening, it would be hard to make a big improvement over a Belle or its rough equivalent. In my opinion, anyway.

Since the centre speaker will be carrying mostly vocals (in the case of movies, anyway), I don't think its requirements are as stringent as those for left and right speakers. A Belle, La Scala (I or II) or 510 JubScala should do a fine job between a pair of Jubilees.

I've found it's easy to get in a mindset where constant upgrading is seen as inevitable. It's not. It's almost like a Ferrari owner who's obsessing over which engine management chip will give him a few more horsepower, instead of just enjoying the ride.

The jump from Heresy to Belle in the centre is very significant. Any further jumps will not be as noticeable, unless you switch off all the other speakers for test purposes. In normal listening, it would be hard to make a big improvement over a Belle or its rough equivalent. In my opinion, anyway.

Gotta call BS on that one. I went from an RC-7 to an RF-7 modified into a center channel with two RF-7s up front and I can sure as heck tell the difference even though they both have the same horn, same with 3 TSCMs across the front!

Roger

I don't think ... ...should do .

...In my opinion, anyway.

Gotta call BS on that one.

How can you call BS on his opinions? They are his opinions, even stated as such.

You either forgot the smiley at the end, or should have said that you have a counter opinion. :o

Edited by psg
  • Like 1

I don't think ... ...should do .

...In my opinion, anyway.

Gotta call BS on that one.

How can you call BS on his opinions? They are his opinions, even stated as such.

You either forgot the smiley at the end, or should have said that you have a counter opinion. :o

OK, I have a counter opinion based on personal experience that I can hear the difference in Bass on a center channel, let alone switching out the 402 for a 510. I have 7 big ugly TSCMs because I wanted matched speakers and sound is more important to me than aesthetics. I can't imagine spending the money for Jubilees and half butting a center channel from a LaScala and a 510 horn. Like buying a Ferrari with a blown up engine and putting a chevy in there! :huh:

I still have the RC-7 and change it out periodically if someone comes over and wants to see. :)

Roger

Getting back to my question, i'd really like to see the plots for the MWM. I think I remember the high end being 400Hz or 450Hz. I need to see it to make sure it can work in my application. I have three spare 335HF sections that I would like to use in the short term. I've had really good luck with them. and they are in the same family of horns as my existing speakers.

I also check the dimensions on it, the height is 32.25 inches. I would think those dimensions are fairly exact. I measured my door jam, its a 33 inch standard door size. Wouldn't want to get that to the front door and not get it in(that's what she said).

I will take a new picture of the front wall, from my MLP and load it tomorrow.

I've thought about a La Scala, La Scala split, a Jubsala, a Jubelle. and at last a Jubliee, you'll see why neither of those will work for me when I load the picture. I really need something with a low profile. Maybe a La Scala on its side...

I am leaning towards the MWM but need to see the plots.

Getting back to my question, i'd really like to see the plots for the MWM. I think I remember the high end being 400Hz or 450Hz. I need to see it to make sure it can work in my application. I have three spare 335HF sections that I would like to use in the short term. I've had really good luck with them. and they are in the same family of horns as my existing speakers.

I also check the dimensions on it, the height is 32.25 inches. I would think those dimensions are fairly exact. I measured my door jam, its a 33 inch standard door size. Wouldn't want to get that to the front door and not get it in(that's what she said).

I will take a new picture of the front wall, from my MLP and load it tomorrow.

I've thought about a La Scala, La Scala split, a Jubsala, a Jubelle. and at last a Jubliee, you'll see why neither of those will work for me when I load the picture. I really need something with a low profile. Maybe a La Scala on its side...

I am leaning towards the MWM but need to see the plots.

Turbox,

Coytee should have the info for programing a MWM for a 402 Horn from Roy. For the graph, I would hit up Cholter. :)

Roger

I also check the dimensions on it, the height is 32.25 inches. I would think those dimensions are fairly exact. I measured my door jam, its a 33 inch standard door size. Wouldn't want to get that to the front door and not get it in.

That's why I would try to find the singles and stack them. One might even be enough. DTEL built his, perhaps you could do the same. They aren't too complicated.

Bruce

Aren't MWMs usually singles? They're often stacked in pairs, but I don't think they're built that way, because they'd be too heavy and bulky to move around. As concert equipment, they're meant to be practical to transport and set up.

EDIT: I was wrong. They do come in double form as well as singles:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Klipsch-MWM-K-43E-Magnificent-Woofing-Machine-Loud-Speaker-System-used-/281125085508

Edited by Islander

Turbox,

I contacted Kristy tonight, Eldons / DTELs wife to get him to post some help for you.

Islander,

Not nly did Klipsch make double MWMs, but they are 3 to 4 times more comon than the singles. Singles are alot harder to find and bring more money, plus two singles are taller than a double! :)

Roger

Ok, I finally figured out how to load a file. Here is a picture of my front wall. You can see that I've moved my Heresy in for a centre again. If I was to move the Heresy and the Sub, i'd have lots of room for the MWM. I have another spot for the sub, so no worries.

There is 11 feet between the jubilees. front wall is about 18.5 ft

Edited by Turbox

I am currently using a Heresy II as a center channel between Jubilee's. Its ok, but needs to be bigger.

What are you guys using as a center channel. If you could buy any center channel, what would it be?

1. Jubscala or JubBelle (if you can fit it) or another Jub. All these choices will sound approximately the same for a center channel, and their apparent source width will match the corner Jubs.

2. Tri-amped and time-corrected Belle or La Scala (I'm using a tri-amped Belle currently)

3. Phantom center.

I've tried other speakers. Any speaker with a direct-radiating woofer is a non-starter to my ears. My tri-amped and time-corrected Belle sounds like a Jub, except that its apparent source width/height is much smaller. In HT mode, it works perfectly, but when playing any material where only the center channel is on, it sounds smaller than the flanking Jubs, but the timbre matches.

Chris

Edited by Cask05
  • Like 1

Is it this the one ?............. click to enlarge for some reason it shows up small here

Dtel, this is an interesting plot for sure. I like what I see there.

So this plot shows a 2 way Jubilee with a 402/K69A VS and 2 way MWM with a 402/K69A. What are the crossover frequencies for both? Do you have a plot of just the MWM, that shows the frequency response only, im looking to see what the cutoff frequency is of the MWM?

At the very least this confirms my understanding. I can use the MWM with a combination of items I already have. I know that the 402 would likely be ideal, but again, height is an issue. I will try my 510 with K69A, which might be the best compromise in the short term..

Maybe this isn't so far fetched after all?

post-55152-0-35020000-1384090768_thumb.j

Edited by Turbox