A New (Used) Pair of Heresies

ChadHahn

I had a pair of very ugly Heresies that I sold when I bought my La Scalas. I always regretted selling them because I thought that I'd like to make a surround sound system with the La Scalas in front and the Heresies as rear speakers (maybe getting another Heresy for a center).

Today I stopped in at a pawn shop to get a replacment iPod for my wife, who is always losing them and what did I see but a pair of 1984 Heresy HBR in fantastic shape. These things looked like they were bought stuck in a living room and never moved until they were taken to the pawn shop. I asked how much and the salesman told me $180. I told him to ring them up with the iPod.

I'd post pictures but I took them out to the storage shed for safe
keeping and didn't think about taking pictures until I was there.

My La Scalas are HBR too, although not nearly in as good of shape. So when I get my music room set up, I'll have a nice start on a quad system. :)

Chad

I had a pair of very ugly Heresies

I took them out to the storage shed

Hmmm.... correlation?

Congrats on the great find! (I never find anything good like that)

I would have hidden them inside if possible... you know... put them under cover in the bed, resting on the pillow...maybe even stick a wig or something on them. You know, like they did at Alcatraz before the escape. Your wife will never notice. Trust me.

The old pair was ugly when I bought them, they were painted a pebbly black color that didn't look good at all and to make them uglier, the paint was chipping off. I was going to strip and finish them but sold them before I had a chance. The storage shed is a climate controled inside unit. Hopefully there isn't much chance of damage there.

The salesman at the pawnshop (where I spend lots of money and am in kind of good with the employees) said they paid $150 for the speaker. I don't know whether to believe them or not. I don't know why he'd lie to me but it does sound a lot for a pawn shop to pay.

Chad

So yes, I'm glad that they don't know prices.

Some know the prices that they MAY get, but would rather move the product out the door and get the return on their own investment. I've seen some things in a local pawn shop that are ok pricing, but higher than I would spend. Some of the things have been sitting there for five years, unsold.

Of course, that's where I got two Technics SL1200 MkII tables for $300. It was obvious that they had been used by a DJ, but they were in good shape. I sold one and ended up with one for free.

Bruce

There's at least one pawn shop in town that doesn't care how long things have been around. I guess they thing that eventually their price will seem reasonable. I asked to see if they'd go down on a camera and said how long it had been laying on the shelf. The guy snapped, "What difference does that make?"

The real money in a pawn shop is in the interest so some places like to have a lot of merchandise around so they look well stocked.

Chad