Who wants to build a Cornscala box for me??

bizzle2525

Hello new member here.. I have just recently put a down payment on a pair of Cornscala C's from Bob Crites. I have just done some measurements in my living room and they would be a very tight squeeze and I would end up having to rearrange my whole living room to accomodate them. So heres my idea.. I would like to build a three way Cornscala or even possibly a two way with Bobs drivers that he offers on his website, but heres the catch... I want to build one that is much narrower and taller to accomodate for my room size. The speakers need to be the same internal volume so I can get the same performance out of these. If anyone with experience with these builds or any wood makers out there that can build with Bobs drivers to make this happen, or you know of someone that has experience in this please respond. I am willing to pay for the parts and the build itself..Also I really would like them to be three ways, Im wondering if the faital lth-142 horn could be used in the three way design with the selenium d405? I want to use the selnium horn 11-25 horn with the selenium d220TI driver for my tweeter. Obviously would want to use the Crites CW1526CF woofers. I am going to use Bobs parts as he has been very accomadating and an absolute professional to work with, with much patience with my emails and phone calls! So other drivers are out of the question..

Ive seen many excellent builds from other members so your input would be appreciated!

I would like to have the wdith of these be no bigger than 20 inches or so... If the faital horn is not a good mid horn with the selenium drivers id consider the seleniumm2380

So if there is someone out there with knowledge in cabinet making and can get the internal volume to a T let me know... I would make them myself but with two kids and a 12 hour a day job time is not an option.. Thanks for any reply and idea, If you cannot build these yourself maybe even a cabinet design for these so I could reach out in my community to see if I could find someone to build them.

Heres a link to Bobs website to look at his drivers and to get ideas for port size and cabinet and driver sizes. Thanks

http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala.html

I don't see why that would be to hard, Bob has the bass bin at 24x24. So I would think you could make it 20x28, but I am no box designer so don't hold me to it. Where is your location that might make it a little easier to find someone who could help. If you verify with Bob on those dimensions I am sure you could find a cabinet maker locally that could build it for you. Maybe he could make it a little easier and make you the motor board for the style you want in that dimension, then you would just have to finish the bass bin which could make it a little easier. And welcome to the forum.

seems a shame to go to this much effort and not consider time alignment of the drivers. All that work and only cosmetics to show for it? Nice looking job though, I hope there is a brace in there somewhere so we can say it is better than stock in some way aside from the looks. Is it just me or are those different tweeter lenses? Best regards Moray James.

Man what a great forum! I appreciate all the help and response from everyone so far, seems to have alot of community invlovement and help around here compared to other forums I have been in.. I have owned Klipsch speakers for years and really love their sound and makeup.. Ive had the Heresies(lacked bass IMO), Chorus, Cornwalls, and now the Klipsch Tangent 400's. I know, i know they are not the most loved Klipsch speakers by any means but they really are a decent speaker with the same drivers as the Heresy II's, just MUCH better bass down to 39Hz. The problem and biggest knock on them are there cabinets being weakly made and having sometimes a thin muddy sound. So my plan was to build new cabinets and do some upgrades to them. That is how I came across Bob Crites.. I was going to upgrade my tweeter diaphrams, realized he builds his own cabinets and he was going to make a set of solid Birch cabinets for these that would really clean up the sound.. Then I got to discussing things with him and realized that the Cornscalas were a design idea he had and looked in to his cabinets. I always loved the Cornwall bass, and Ive heard the Lascalas and thought they really had a clean upper end, so I knew I couldnt go wrong.. Anyways put in the order for his C design as Ive heard nothing but good things about these, realized that the wife factor came in to play, and am looking for alternatives with the same drivers..

I really like the Walrus speakers posted above and I ran across these while searching around that I liked ALOT and they were made for the wife approval lol. The only problem is he says that he does not feel the heritage sound as a result of changing the port design and dimensions, and this scares me a bit to really dive in and make a change to such a great speaker.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/71921.aspx?PageIndex=1

I wonder if HarryO who made the Walrus gets the same sound and performance out of his Walrus speakers as a Cornwall provides.. I dunno, I'm up in the air right now about this, wondering if I should just stick to the original design(dont want to lose out on anything Cornscalas have to offer) but appreciate the help, keep it coming

Am looking to make up my mind by the end of the week, so I can have these speakers done by February

I think that if you keep the internal vloume of the cabinet the same and the vent the same then the allignment should be the same the sound the same. Cabinet width will impact wave propogation at low frequencies so the two cabinets will not be identical but I would believe very much the same. Best regards Moray James.

A Cornwall and a Chorus are slightly different animals. Different drivers different internal volumes and different vents so the alignments are different. If you want to maintain the Cornwall alignment and its sound then both internal volume and the venting must be kept reasonably the same. Further a Chorus uses different horns than a Cornwall and a Chorus ll is different again.So what the op does will depend upon what ever it is that he is trying to achieve. Best regards Moray James.

I might be late to this party....where are you located? What type of wood you thinking about? Prices for wood seem to vary quite a bit depending on the area.

I am not really interested in the Chorus speaker.. I like the Cornwall originally as Ive had them before and it seems the Cornscala takes care of some of the harsh mids that I used to hear out of them.. They were always my favorite Klipsch speaker and still are, Im just looking for a possible cabinet redesign to the same internal volume as the Cornwall/Cornscala just taller and thinner. The Chorus internal volume is much less than a Cornwall and a totally different animal, with different dirvers etc. I love the bass of a Cornwall and that is the reason for choosing the Cornscala.

Speakerfritz I would like to use 3/4 inch Baltic Birch just like many of the original Heritage line, and I am in upstate NY.

As far as I a aware Klipsch never used baltic birch on any Heritage designs only on the pro cabinets. When you have a piece of regular birch ply in you hand a a piece of baltic birch is is easy to see and feel the difference. A two ply combination of 5/8" baltic birch and 5/8" mdf is an excellent combination of stiffness plus hign loss in the mdf which provides excellent damping. Brace and stiffen well and you will have a superb set of cabinets. Looking forward to seeing your new cabinets whan you get them done. Best regards Moray James.