Scrached dvd

iwillwalk

there are refinishing kits but I have never used one. I normally wash the disk well with detergent in the sink washing across the disk not around, then I dry it and apply a payer of clear paste wax let dry 5 minutes and buff with a clean cotton towel. several applications may be required and the wax does take time to harden the harder the better. My guess it wax will take 21 days to fully cure but will be most of the way there in 3 - 4 days. I have taken laser diska which wer not watchable and brought them baks from almost total bars of snow to a good quality picture. I have also had some which would not fix. Works on CD's DVD's and such. hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

PS I also do this to brand new disks as it improves the quality. In a pinch clear or Neutral shoe polish will do.

Depending of how deep the scratches are....I use plastic polish (such as Eagle1) that can be found in automotive stores or someplace that sells motorcycle helmets (used of face masks). Just spray a full shot on it and rub till dry with a clean bath towel. I have to do this for nearly everything I borrow from the library.

If it's something you can feel with your fingernails then it might be bit harder to do. Personally I think those polishing kits ar a bit harsh.

this is a one copy , no way to replace it. but it has some scraches, does anyone have a majis way to fix this common problem?

steve

please reply by email & here

thanks

Get a bottle of the Boston contact lens cleaner (original formula). It works amazingly well on DVDs, CDs, etc. It's only mildly abrasive so it shouldn't leave new scratches on the surface. Put a tiny amount on a soft cloth and rub both in the direction of the scratch and perpendicular to it as well. It may take a few treatments depending on the depth of the scratch.

This is the one that I have used for about 5 years now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GX31G6/ There are also used machines listed there that should work like new. I'm sure that there are other machines that may cost less, but this one has been great - I've used it at least dozens of times - and more likely hundreds of times. I buy LOTS of used CDs/DVDs/BDs from Amazon because I can resurrect any issues except the ones noted below. I've saved the price of the machine on used CDs over new ones, and it took only a short time to recoup the expense. This is a lot better than trying to resurrect used vinyl--trust me.

The only damage that it is not able to repair is if the top surface of the disk (i.e., the data layer) is severely damaged--as in transparent holes when the disk is held up to a strong light source and little bits of light peek through: that condition is terminal for the disk. Also if the disk is cracked, I've never been able to do much with those disks except try to resurrect as much data as possible via burning the remaining readable data to a new disk.

Chris