Oris 150's have arrived !

Rudy81

Paul,

I think you will really enjoy the Oris experience. I am still very pleased with the success I have had with this setup. I am currently waiting to get my new Incra fence so I can start working with my table saw again. My next project is to build an HF section for my center channel using the TB 1808. I'm looking for near perfect timbre matching with the Oris horns.

You Americans certainly like your home theatre [:)]

Mine will be 2 channel. I'm just starting out in this hobby and it's taken me an age to get any money to do it. Started Looking at Klipsch Reference for home theatre but saw the cornscala and decided to go DIY. When buying parts for a pair of cornscalas I've decided to add Oris horns into the mix. Wish I had more room and more money for surround sound but 2.0 will have to do for watching films [:(]. Buying a whole system at once hits your wallet hard!

In hindsight, I wish I had just purchased the Oris horns when I first heard a set. I spent years trying to duplicate that open, large sound with pinpoint imaging and just was always a little short. However, I certainly learned a lot and got to play with some nice drivers and horns.

Let us know when you get it set up.

• 3 months later...

Rudy I wish you are happy with your speaker. if you reminisce I told you someday I may go the way you went. I think that day is arrived! I'm negotiating with Bert. he said a pair package is about 80cm * 80cm * 45cm. I mailed him if he made a mistake because when I estimated the size of the Oris 150 horns, I ended up that the volume should be more, unless two horns are joint together. thought why not simply ask you as you are among few people who unpacked such a parcel.

thanks,

Rudy I wish you are happy with your speaker. if you reminisce I told you someday I may go the way you went. I think that day is arrived! I'm negotiating with Bert. he said a pair package is about 80cm * 80cm * 45cm. I mailed him if he made a mistake because when I estimated the size of the Oris 150 horns, I ended up that the volume should be more, unless two horns are joint together. thought why not simply ask you as you are among few people who unpacked such a parcel.

thanks,

That size is correct. If you look at the pictures at the beginning of the thread, you will see the crate they came in. The horns come dis-assembled, so they do fit in the box. You will have to assemble them once you get them. Read his instructions carefully and plan how you are going to paint them, etc. Attaching the rings to the throat must be done first so the glue he sends will work properly. Do not allow the outer perimeter of the rings to be painted, or you will have difficulty putting on the chambers....it is a very tight fit. His design works extremely well on assembly if you follow the directions.

Since setting these up, I have stopped looking for 'upgrades' to anything above 200Hz. I am still very pleased with the two channel and multi-channel sound of these horns. BTW, my budget was limited, so I have very modest drivers. I didn't want to drop big money on drivers when I can get 90%+ of the performance with the Tang Band drivers.

Bert is great to deal with and he is very helpful. The shipping takes a while since they have a long way to go, but the crate is very sturdy and everything arrived in perfect condition.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That size is correct. If you look at the pictures at the beginning of the thread, you will see the crate they came in. The horns come dis-assembled, so they do fit in the box. You will have to assemble them once you get them. Read his instructions carefully and plan how you are going to paint them, etc. Attaching the rings to the throat must be done first so the glue he sends will work properly. Do not allow the outer perimeter of the rings to be painted, or you will have difficulty putting on the chambers....it is a very tight fit. His design works extremely well on assembly if you follow the directions.

Since setting these up, I have stopped looking for 'upgrades' to anything above 200Hz. I am still very pleased with the two channel and multi-channel sound of these horns. BTW, my budget was limited, so I have very modest drivers. I didn't want to drop big money on drivers when I can get 90%+ of the performance with the Tang Band drivers.

Bert is great to deal with and he is very helpful. The shipping takes a while since they have a long way to go, but the crate is very sturdy and everything arrived in perfect condition.

Good luck!

thanks Rudy for the reply. I'm working on it

thank God the community is back on the feet again.

• 6 months later...

you know buying Oris 150 would cost me ~1500 Euros (shipped to Iran with import tax). you may have spent that much for them, but our currency value is much much less that USD. 1500 Euro might be income of a months working in an ordinary job in US but it's salary of 10 firm months of a hard working in Iran! so I don't think I can buy my pair but I'm just building my own horns using mold + thermoforming machine and I'm wondering if there is a DIY (free to use) information about this horn for those how are able to build it themselves?

take a look here if you are in horny mood! ^_^link

Edited by Arash

I know there exist the parameters for similar horns, like the JMLC horn and maybe others. I am very sure the Oris flare is not available. I looked for it, and even asked Bert for it, back when I was experimenting with making a modified center channel.

You will just have to spend time with a search engine and I'm sure you will find plenty of stuff. Look up the Azurahorn. This gent has built his own, think based on JMLC, and they look very nice.

http://www.azurahorn.com/index.html

• Like 1

I know there exist the parameters for similar horns, like the JMLC horn and maybe others. I am very sure the Oris flare is not available. I looked for it, and even asked Bert for it, back when I was experimenting with making a modified center channel.

You will just have to spend time with a search engine and I'm sure you will find plenty of stuff. Look up the Azurahorn. This gent has built his own, think based on JMLC, and they look very nice.

http://www.azurahorn.com/index.html

I've heard JMLC horns, they are simply "no-size-efficient". I'm pretty sure the Oris 150 is a Tractrix flare and Bert has done nothing magical here expect making the flare a bit more shallow than normal so the depth is a bit less than an ordinary Tractrix. now I've calculated an 8" 140Hz horn. to this calculator it would be ~78cm in diameter, ~40cm depth from throat to mouth.

you have Oris 150 at hand and you could easily measure them if you needed the numbers. why would you be asking Bert when you got them?! have you ever try to measure the horns?

by the way, I'm willing to order a pair of TB drivers to arrive till I'm working on the horns. as far as I checked 1772 and 1808 both are very close dirvers except 1808 if a better choice for smaller vas. am I right?

Edited by Arash

I don't think the Oris is a simply a Tractrix flare. When I was working on my center channel project I wanted the exact measurements in order to duplicate a portion of the oris flare in order to make a rectangular horn with that flare. Since I was not able to obtain the numbers, I made a basic mold and did my best to transfer the numbers manually to paper. That drawing was not a Tractrix flare. I have the numbers somewhere for a Tractrix and JMLC flares. The Oris is different.

BTW, my center channel project did not work, although I put in about two weeks into the project. Making the Oris in a rectangular fashion did not work for me.

post-8233-0-79140000-1398457120_thumb.gi

Edited by Rudy81
  • Like 1

I don't think the Oris is a simply a Tractrix flare. When I was working on my center channel project I wanted the exact measurements in order to duplicate a portion of the oris flare in order to make a rectangular horn with that flare. Since I was not able to obtain the numbers, I made a basic mold and did my best to transfer the numbers manually to paper. That drawing was not a Tractrix flare. I have the numbers somewhere for a Tractrix and JMLC flares. The Oris is different.

BTW, my center channel project did not work, although I put in about two weeks into the project. Making the Oris in a rectangular fashion did not work for me.

that's a pity Bert has no DIY policy. in this situation my options are decreased to a singular choice which is buying it from Bert. you know someone from Czech Republic is making replica of Bert's Oris 150 horn and sell'em in EBay which beyond any doubt an immoral act. but I'm thinking if someone (for example me) buy a pair from Bert and pay for it, in case he is able to make a replica for "personal use", is he committing any unethical thing? just want your idea

Arash,

"that's a pity Bert has no DIY policy. in this situation my options are decreased to a singular choice which is buying it from Bert. you know someone from Czech Republic is making replica of Bert's Oris 150 horn and sell'em in EBay which beyond any doubt an immoral act. but I'm thinking if someone (for example me) buy a pair from Bert and pay for it, in case he is able to make a replica for "personal use", is he committing any unethical thing? just want your idea"

Not in my opinion.

• Like 1

I have seen the copies made in the Czech Republic on eBay that you mentioned, I wonder how accurate they are. The days of this world considering the moral implications of duplicating something are long gone. From a practical standpoint, it seems to me that by the time you spent the time and energy to make an accurate replica, you should just have purchased a second set.

I can't blame Bert for not allowing DIY construction. There would be no way for him to control quality on DIY Oris horns. I also have no clue how you would duplicate his materials manufacture easily.....that horn looks like an injected molding manufacture.....not easy or cheap to duplicate.

• Like 1

I have seen the copies made in the Czech Republic on eBay that you mentioned, I wonder how accurate they are. The days of this world considering the moral implications of duplicating something are long gone. From a practical standpoint, it seems to me that by the time you spent the time and energy to make an accurate replica, you should just have purchased a second set.

I can't blame Bert for not allowing DIY construction. There would be no way for him to control quality on DIY Oris horns. I also have no clue how you would duplicate his materials manufacture easily.....that horn looks like an injected molding manufacture.....not easy or cheap to duplicate.

yeah you're right. purchasing the second pr would be the smartest thing to do if one is not equipped with the right equipment. not me ;)

no it's not an injected mold. this horn could be duplicated with 0.1mm accuracy. this horn is made using Thermoforming method. this is how it is done: after you know what you want in CAD you should make a mold. MDF or Epoxy or aluminum, then you simply put the mold in a vacuum thermoforming machine. you put desired material sheet on the machine. for example PVC or ABS or acrylic or polycarbonate or with whatever thickness you wish. then set the thermoformer heater up so the sheet gets hot and soft and flexible. then the machine will vacuum and make it stick to the mold as tight as possible. I have access to a nice thermoforming machine. except first investment on the mold (MDF mold would be around 500USD and aluminum ~1000USD or so) the production of horns won't cost that much considerable. it's all about the material you use which I used ABS 2m x 2m 6mm thickness. thermoforming is free if you have the machine, but won't be that much if you refer the job to the skilled thermoformer. it might charge you ~60-70USD for a pr. they also need die cutting and finishing that wouldn't be very hard to do.

just to digest the process easier, take a look at this mold:

horn.jpg

then:

just like that! it's piece a cake

Edited by Arash

• 2 months later...

I've built my first pr of fc148.33hz tranctrix horn with a very small modification in round over edges (it's 100% identical to Oris 150). I want to buy a pr of Tang band 8 inchers.I'm wondering which one to go considering the back chamber is sealed below 20L. 1808 with higher QTs or 1772 with lower QTs and higher efficiency? it seems 1772 is a better match for a close enclouser.

what if they are mounted OB (without cabinet) behind the horn? I'm going to XO them 200-220hz.

thanks Rudy. I hope you are still happy with 150s ;)

Edited by Arash

does anyone know what the deal with Paper horns are?

rewardable attempt of early human in pursuit of hearing better sound! not a good idea since industrial revolution as thermoforming machines are easily available!