FBI ransom virus

dtel

• Moderators

It sucks is a good way to say it, after 2 days trying everything suggested on every website I gave up, unplugged it and threw it in the garage which kind of dismantled it.

Replaced it, [Y] it's has windows 8 [N] [:@] I would like to meet the person who designed 8 and kick them in the back end to put it nicely.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DTEL, I absolutely love Windows 8, and wouldn't hesitate to get it on a new pc or to upgrade an old one. Been using it on a couple of different devices (phone and PC) and really like it. A bit of a learning curve, but it's stable and has some neat features.

Bruce

Ok, it happened to be on a windows 7 machine with McAfee (McAfee stinks). I rebooted in safemode (Press F8 as the computer turns on before windows loads) with networking and then downloaded Malwarebyte Anti Malware, which then scanned and identified the virus and deleted it. I rebooted and everything was back to normal. I ran some more scans to ensure the virus and any other bad stuff was gone.

A friend of mine got that virus too. I just told him I'd slave his HDD if he wanted me too to get rid of it.

You do realize we live in the 21st century..... Where no one uses parallel ATA anymore (I had to look the name up to be sure), serial ata yes heck we are up to 6gbps.

Your point being? And how is this helpful to the discussion?

A friend of mine got that virus too. I just told him I'd slave his HDD if he wanted me too to get rid of it.

You do realize we live in the 21st century..... Where no one uses parallel ATA anymore (I had to look the name up to be sure), serial ata yes heck we are up to 6gbps.

Basically you are akin to saying I can help someone's carburetor when in fact they have a fuel injector system. Does that help? No modern computer past 2003 uses parallel ata. Its was quite odd to see"I just told him I'd slave his HDD if he wanted me too to get rid of it."

Long Story Short, your comment wasn't helpful to begin with. BTW no one uses jumpers either

Basically you are akin to saying I can help someone's carburetor when in fact they have a fuel injector system. Does that help? No modern computer past 2003 uses parallel ata. Its was quite odd to see"I just told him I'd slave his HDD if he wanted me too to get rid of it."

Long Story Short, your comment wasn't helpful to begin with. BTW no one uses jumpers either

I successfully use the correct tools for the job at hand, in this case it was one similar to this one but with a wider variety of connections with no jumpers needed. I've use it before with no problems at all. Besides, it was a laptop.

Of all the posts I've ever read of yours, none of them have been helpful much less on target so it would be best for you not to insert all the unfounded condescension.

I successfully use the correct tools for the job at hand, in this case it was one similar to this one but with a wider variety of connections with no jumpers needed. I've use it before with no problems at all. Besides, it was a laptop.

Of all the posts I've ever read of yours, none of them have been helpful much less on target so it would be best for you not to insert all the unfounded condescension.

the pot calling the kettle black.

BTW you don't read too much.[:)] Do you even lift bro! [:@]

• Moderators

Ok, it happened to be on a windows 7 machine with McAfee (McAfee stinks). I rebooted in safemode (Press F8 as the computer turns on before windows loads) with networking and then downloaded Malwarebyte Anti Malware, which then scanned and identified the virus and deleted it. I rebooted and everything was back to normal. I ran some more scans to ensure the virus and any other bad stuff was gone.

I looked up directions on another computer. I restarted did the f8 thing, safe mode or with networking did nothing, when safe mode came on it only said safe mode in the four corners, nothing else on the screen.

I also tried everything else on the f8 screen including getting into the page you type in commands , when any of these ways tried to get anywhere it would automatically go to shut down and restart going right back to the white page. With the internet disconnected it would just be a white page, if connected it was the FBI ransom page.

I did try the page after f8 to restore, as soon as it tried to start than process it would shut down and restart back to the white page, no matter what I tried.

After trying everything a few times eventually it would only go into safe mode and instantly restart and repeat.

This is when I threw it out onto the cement, this was after two days and trying everything I could find online including a disc that was scan and help, it also would try to start and be shut down.

• Moderators

DTEL, I absolutely love Windows 8, and wouldn't hesitate to get it on a new pc or to upgrade an old one. Been using it on a couple of different devices (phone and PC) and really like it. A bit of a learning curve, but it's stable and has some neat features.

Bruce

I am starting to get use to it, I did have to go to an older version of browser mode to even sign in here. There are other things I am getting use to but I am being retrained slowly.

Simple things like where things are at are different, it took me an hour to find the control panel and other simple things that have been in the same place as long as I have been using computers.

It looks like they wanted it to look and work like a phone does, I just go to the desktop part and go from there.

I'm learning.

• Moderators

I should mention the virus won't be able to load in safe mode to take over your screen.

It sure does now, well it does not show on the FBI screen but changes the safe mode screen to nothing but the words "safe mode" in the four corners, and nothing can be done from there except to restart. The safe mode screen flashes for an instant but then goes to just those words in the corners.

I should mention the virus won't be able to load in safe mode to take over your screen.

It sure does now, well it does not show on the FBI screen but changes the safe mode screen to nothing but the words "safe mode" in the four corners, and nothing can be done from there except to restart. The safe mode screen flashes for an instant but then goes to just those words in the corners.

Wow sorry to hear that, must be something different than what hit me.