FBI ransom virus

dtel

I was going to use it for target practice, it's kind of in pieces, I never even picked it up yet, I threw it across the room back there.

I resemble those remarks, I admit I have tossed an old laptop around, felt great to get the rage out. My fist was a littled bloodied, those plastic/metal parts are sharp. It went into recycling for a much needed new machine. Sorry to hear that. I know how I got my virus, by attempting to watching Martin Scorsese's documentary about George Harrison on some site I got off of a google search. Not smart on my part.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

I did that about a year ago and it worked great, after about 20 hours of re installing updates.

Well it's new now, and it works[Y]

It came with a nice screen 21.5 LCD, more memory at 4 Gb and a 500 Gb HD, which in a year or so will probably be outdated, but as usual I will drag it into at least 2020 .

Not bad for $388 +$30 for a 2 year warranty against needing to be pitched.

• Moderators

dtel... ... yes it is a wonderful TO BE STUCK IN THE 70'S everything changes around not within. Big SmileBig Smile chris

to maintain ... that is all that is left.

There are some changes from within, like deterioration and parts not working as well as years ago, now the goal is to stay above room temp. [:P]

DTEL, I absolutely love Windows 8, and wouldn't hesitate to get it on a new pc or to upgrade an old one. Been using it on a couple of different devices (phone and PC) and really like it. A bit of a learning curve, but it's stable and has some neat features.

Bruce

I am starting to get use to it, I did have to go to an older version of browser mode to even sign in here. There are other things I am getting use to but I am being retrained slowly.

Simple things like where things are at are different, it took me an hour to find the control panel and other simple things that have been in the same place as long as I have been using computers.

It looks like they wanted it to look and work like a phone does, I just go to the desktop part and go from there.

I'm learning.

I despise windows 8. Microsoft forcing their "new and improved" OS on us because if you do not upgrade, they updated will drag your old system down until it is too slow.

When I could not close an application and it took several minutes to figure out how to close the computer I gave up on Win 8. Just pointless. I did find a nice easy and free fix. Google "classic shell." Download and install. It puts the start menu back and has options to bypass all of the "new and improved" interface garbage on Win 8. Basically set it up to put you directly in the desktop and keep you there. That way you know what time it is, what apps are open and how to log off.

• Moderators

They sent a Cd, it says user guide, I put it in and it will not play[:o] apparently they have not figured it out yet either ?

So it goes in the garbage with the 30" x30" poster on how to set it up (plug it in) and the two other papers on how to plug the wires in, which is the same as every computer I have had.

Now this is even more stupid. a little book on how "green" this screen is and what energy star is ! Well it's less green after printing out the stupid book and unpacking about 10 pounds of foam and cardboard, I think they could have thrown it out of a UPS truck and it would have been fine.

Not that I care about green or not but don't print stuff with everything I buy to tell me so to make me feel like I'm helping, and it's printed with SOY ink, like I care.

I hope before you ever used the pc you did not load any anti virus that came with it. If so delete it and any others, then go get AVG for free and live life without fear of a virus for free .I and all my friends use AVG, don't cost anything and none of us have ever had a virus.That Norton and the others is all crap I delete before ever using since the turn of the century.Good luck with the new pc.

• Moderators

That was something I was wondering so I left the Norton stuff for now. The Norton will expire and want me to renew after paying which I never do.

The other computer had Microsoft Security Essentials, which apparently didn't stop my last problem. We have that on a couple of other computers for a few years now and never had any problems ?

That was something I was wondering so I left the Norton stuff for now. The Norton will expire and want me to renew after paying which I never do.

The other computer had Microsoft Security Essentials, which apparently didn't stop my last problem. We have that on a couple of other computers for a few years now and never had any problems ?

There is a free program called "PC Decrapifier" that locates and gives you the option to remove all of the junk on yoru new computer that is just there to try to sell you stuff. Workes much faster than manually cleaning.

• Moderators

It would not go into safe mode, any of the three available in F8, I did try under a different user also, from every way available in F8 which is about 10 different ways to re boot, even from a disc.

I even found a website that list where it usually is on the computer and what to do, nothing worked. Also made a disc on another computer and tried that, it would start to load and be stopped and the computer would quickly shut down and restart.

It's still on the garage floor, plan on killing it the rest of the way tomorrow. [Y]

• Moderators

There is a free program called "PC Decrapifier" that locates and gives you the option to remove all of the junk on yoru new computer that is just there to try to sell you stuff. Workes much faster than manually cleaning.

Going to look at that, but I already removed junk from it but was really surprised it was not as bad as expected, I remember other computers we have had were loaded with junk.

Going to look at that, but I already removed junk from it but was really surprised it was not as bad as expected, I remember other computers we have had were loaded with junk.

I gotta run (its Valentines day) but take a look at Classic Shell too. It really makes Win 8 an enjoyable experiance. http://www.classicshell.net/

It would not go into safe mode, any of the three available in F8, I did try under a different user also, from every way available in F8 which is about 10 different ways to re boot, even from a disc.

It should not be able to prevent safe mode. Some computers use a wacky combination to get to the F8 key, like shift/F8 or <fn>/F8. You need to figure that part out. I think it is not possible for anything to prevent safe mode (I think).

• Moderators

No that was easy, start computer and as soon as it got almost done with the first page which is just a few quick lines start pressing F8 after a few presses the screen changes to a list of questions as to how you want to start, first was safe mode then SM with networking, and about 6 to 8 more ways to finish starting. I tried every one with every combination of commands I found on different sites, and there are many.

It didn't actually prevent safe mode bit it would make the screen black with only the words safe mode in each corner. I know this is not what safe mode looks like because I have seen it a few times when the power has gone out, it restarts in safe mode saying it was not shut down correctly.

I hope before you ever used the pc you did not load any anti virus that came with it. If so delete it and any others, then go get AVG for free and live life without fear of a virus for free .I and all my friends use AVG, don't cost anything and none of us have ever had a virus.That Norton and the others is all crap I delete before ever using since the turn of the century.Good luck with the new pc.

+1 on AVG free edition. The very first thing I did on my new laptop was to get rid of McAfee and install AVG. It works really well and you can't beat the price.