OPPO BDP-105 Ordered

TasDom

Ref, just wondering if you are still using the DarbeeVision Darblet since you got the OPPO?

Yes and really like it. Set it and leave it.

Good deal. Was just curious since you got the OPPO and don't recall you mentioning the Darbee since the 103 purchase. Very glad you like it!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just looked at the price of that thing - $1200! Good for you if you can afford and enjoy. I've just got a replacement for my Sony that failed, and got a new model with 3D, WiFi and the rest (retail $150 on sale at costco for $90) and i'm stoked. To bad my TV is 40", no 3D ...

just looked at the price of that thing - $1200! Good for you if you can afford and enjoy.

Lot's of AMEX points accumulated so they went to a good cause on Amazon.[:)] (Plus some of my tax refund)

I've just got a replacement for my Sony that failed, and got a new model with 3D, WiFi and the rest (retail $150 on sale at costco for $90) and i'm stoked. To bad my TV is 40", no 3D ...

Awesome, sounds like a great deal. My TV is not 3D either but I can live without it.....Enjoy!

The OPPO arrived this afternoon and is connected. No major adjustments tonight just the basics.So far tho right out of the box, this thing is amazing!

I'll post some impressions in a few days after a lot of video / audio material and tweaking....I'm so stoked!!

I'm waiting for some additional cables to arrive for the MC analog outs and a USB cable for the PC. My plan is to set up my music (maybe JRiver or such) via my HTPC to the USB DAC and have HDMI connected for most video playback.

No impressions to post just yet until I get all set up the way I have planned.

I won't bore you with any unboxing pics but here's a few others. My former BR player shared a shelf with the Directv box so I re-located it under my tv stand.I wanted the OPPO to have it's "own room" [:D]

post-53536-13819830008122_thumb.jpg

paypal is a marriage saver. i use my paypal balance and not my visa so she didn't see how much i paid for the 103

That's a smart way to do it Russ. Fortunately, we agreed on one major (or semi major) purchase per year if the tax refund permitted it. Used my amex (and some points) on Amazon. Made the payment to amex the next day so it was PIF when it hit our doorstep.

quality and craftsmanship come to mind. i have two of those 100 players, actually they were free with the tv's my kid bought. if i close the tray by hand the player falls off the shelf, so weight comes to mind. the 105 is 17lbs and 10 for the 103

has my wife been talking to you

This is a question I have been asked

Why would you spend that kind of money ...when you can get a bluray player for a hundred bucks???

Nice purchase

Depends what you want. I use my player every day so the last thing i want is cheap, slow, and junk that cant play the scratched up blu rays i get from netflix for example.

This is a question I have been asked

Why would you spend that kind of money ...when you can get a bluray player for a hundred bucks???

Budman says "quality and craftmanship".

I have to agree totally. There is nothing like a piece of gear that is built to last.

I picked up one of these Denon DCD-3520 CD players(used of course) a couple of years ago and the build quality is second to none. That is why 24 years after mfr'd it performs and looks like new. Copper plated chassis, caps larger than those in many amps, and tipping the scales at 40lbs.

I know the 105 is not that heavy(40lbs) nor is it copper lined, but it is filled with some of the best circuitry, DACs, transport, and features you can get for even double the price it sells for.

denon%203560%201.JPG

Bill

BUT Bill, An Oppo 105 built like that Denon would be 3 large for goodness sakes!

I know but just wanted to emphasize how gear built well with top shelf internals are not throw away 4 lbs players but are built to get years of use out of them.

Bill

That Denon still goes for north of $300 on Ebay even after all these years. I would like to have one myself. Why, You might ask? Just cuz. [:D]

I have the flagship Sony DVD/CD player of its day and still use it all the time. It's the DVP-S7000. But make no mistake, it ain't no Denon DCD-3520.