Subwoofer with Chorus II system

chisoxpurdue

I am looking for some advice for the Chorus II system. I am looking for a subwoofer for the low frequency effects for movies and the very bottom range for music. I am looking for a few different types of responses.

Types of responses:

1. Inexpensive but will give me a base response for movies (remember the Chorus II has 15" woofer and 15" passive)

2. Home Theater and music sub that I will be completely happy with buying (either new or used)

3. The build-it at home to get the job done right option.

I am looking though the forum for recommendations to others, but everyone is always up for a sub debate.

• Moderators

RSW-15 will easily keep up with the Chorus II. Lots of depth and slam for HT and very musical for 2ch. Fantastic all around sub. My Velodyne HGS15 is a fantastic performer as well. I prefer the RSW-15 myself.

I run Epik Empires http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/dualempire.html that are very musical with massive mid bass slam, great for music and movies both. They are not the most powerful bottom feeders out there but they can hang with the ones that are. I gave up a little to have a musical sub, you can't have it all. You have to pick and choose where your compromise will be. I wanted very low distortion with big SPL and also the ability to hit 12-15 Hz and that's exactly what I got with the Empires.

3. The build-it at home to get the job done right option.

A cinema F20 is a great home built sub. Solid to 20hz, does movies and music well, and easy to build. Only downside is that it is very big. If you have the room for it you can't do better.

price?

Price range can very all over the place. I was thinking something like this for now

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/ele/3654136483.html

Then keep my open for a RSW-15 unless someone gives me a better sub option for the price.

And I could always enlist my father for help building one as well. Size does not really matter for my main system, but if I do build a few different kinds, the others will have to be smaller to move to other systems.

That 12in sub might not do the job you are looking for. Most of the time I don't consider amp wattage, but that was 110 RMS/330 peak in the listing. Something stronger may be needed? Some people are belling out on their Epik Empires on the AVS forum for around $300.

Love my Outlaw sub. Matched up well with my Fortes as mains and now with my Chorus as mains. It has the flexibility of maximum extension and maximum output modes. I'm currently running it in maximum output mode that has a 25Hz crossover but it still does awesome with LFE.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfm1plus.html

Some people are belling out on their Epik Empires on the AVS forum for around $300.

Nah, that guy is selling a Legend for $300, he made a lot of people mad by offering an Empire at that price and then had to tell them all it's the Legend lol. An Empire for $300 would be an amazing deal! I'd be forced to buy every one I see at that price lol.

Chrisoxpurdue, if you give a solid price range other forum members will most likely find a sub that would fit the bill. I don't have the most highpowered subs but, they do an exceptional job for HT and music. I give a little on the low end, but with room gain I get some very usabel stuff down to around 20 Hz. The Premiere Acoustic is not expensive and is a very nice sub for the price as well as the Legend. At this point I am more music than movies. The only caution on Epik is they seem to be out of business.

• Moderators

Chrisoxpurdue, if you give a solid price range other forum members will most likely find a sub that would fit the bill.

Agreed. State a budget you are trying to stay within and it will be easier to make recommendations of what subs would be a great fit within your budget.

I absolutely loved my Velodyne HGS15. So much so, I had two of them. I purchased the Klipsch RSW-15 and ended up selling one Velodyne HGS15 and will likely sell the other one as for my room, I'm not sure I "need" a second sub. I get great bass response with the RSW-15 in each of my 6 seats. I might try some tips I've received from the others since the Velodyne digs deeper than the RSW-15.

• 11 years later...

So, I just got a pair of Stark Sound's SW15 and trying to set it up.  Trying to narrow down the XO on the sub.  Started with 80hz and now at 65hz.  So far, because the Klipsch Chorus II are so efficient, I have the sub's volume up to 3 o'clock, 5 being loudest and 7 being all the way down.  Still it provides very little output at listening levels.  

What are you guy's XO point on your subs in relation with the C2s?  Are you using software to help tune in the sub or just by ear?

Thanks!

I would keep it around 50 to 60Hz because with a 12db slope you are still bleeding up to about 72Hz when set to 60.  Unless you can do a 24db octave slope which tightens the cutoff frequency.

• Like 2

Let's see what is going on.  How large is the room, what amp and processor with inputs available, is this for 2 ch , movies or both.  There is nothing magical about a XO point because it depends on how the system will be used.  My speakers go down into the 40's but, the XO is at 120. That is high and some subwoofers will be audible and localized. Then why set the xo so high. It is system dependent.  The sub is an 8 in. Klipsch and the speakers are Focal Aria.

Bass management is the right question to ask.  It is based or room size, seating distance , material source and genre (music vs movies or both). For good recommendations, more info.

On 4/13/2024 at 11:40 AM, gotoma8 said:

So, I just got a pair of Stark Sound's SW15 and trying to set it up.  Trying to narrow down the XO on the sub.  Started with 80hz and now at 65hz.  So far, because the Klipsch Chorus II are so efficient, I have the sub's volume up to 3 o'clock, 5 being loudest and 7 being all the way down.  Still it provides very little output at listening levels. What are you guy's XO point on your subs in relation with the C2s?  Are you using software to help tune in the sub or just by ear?

When I ran a sub with my CH2's I'd cross them over at 50hz strictly for music. Love the bass from the CH2 and didn't want to muddy them up or interfere with the speakers already abundant bass in the above 50hz region. Plus with the crossover set low on the sub I found it easier to blend so I couldn't hear where the bass notes were coming from- kind of annoying when the sub draws attention to itself while playing music IMO. Best thing to do is experiment and find what works best for you in your room as all it costs you is a little bit of time good luck!

Hi there,

Thanks to all the comments and feedback. This is strictly for music only!

Frzninvt:  

- I will try it, about 50-60hz and play with volume.  Thank you!

derrickdj1:  

- The room is about 19x14x8

- Using Marantz MA9S2 Mono and matching SC7S2 amp/pre combo; no processors used

- I am sitting about 5 ft from the back wall and about 8.5 ft from the speakers, which are 12 ft apart/ tweeter to tweeter

- Music wise, I listen everything really, except for rap and contemporary soul, but mostly jazz and classical

jjptkd:

- Like you, I too don't like to hear the sub and currently that's how it is set up

- Will try 50-60hz XO points and see what's best

Additional info:

- Will also play with phase, but currently it's at zero as the volume from the sub and speakers do add to make most of the frequency sweeps louder, not cancel each other out, so it seems.

- Subs are SW15 from Starke Sound and are sealed, front firing

- Subs are located about 3.5ft apart from center and located on the back wall about 1ft from the wall

- Klipsch are about 6 inches from the side walls and a bout 5ft from the back wall, however, about 1.5 ft from the back passive are the sides of the Ikea Kallax unit, used for LP storage.  See pictures attached:

IMG_5729.jpeg

• Like 1