Claude's Wall of Sound

DizRotus

Last Tuesday evening I enjoyed the power and punch of ClaudeJ1's all horn system. I expect Claude will join this thread with the technical details of his powerful system. I'll supply my experiential observations

The transient attacks are amazing. Claude's single DIY Danley style tapped horn augments the horn loaded bass, mid and treble perfectly. Whether music or move explosions, the sound was real, even when real loud. The bass was felt as much as heard.

A drum recording showed the system at its best. The speed and clarity of the various drums were presented as only horns, big horns, can do.

In the sweet spot, the imaging,especially female vocals, was spot on. Close your eyes and the large horns disappeared, but the music soared.

Claude's large loft space in Downtown Pontiac was also very interesting. Apparently, Claude's loft is in the upper section of what was a 2-story showroom in a 1930s automobile dealership. The Art Deco architectural features are way cool. Thanks, Claude

On another note, Claude's space reminds me of the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg Museum in Auburn Indiana. I highly recommend the ACD Museum if you ever find yourself on I-69 between Fort Wayne and Indy.

Edited by DizRotus

I would like to hear it also, Claude's combination is a one of a kind, I don't think anyone else has that combination of speakers put together.

The K402 is the "heart" of the system. PWK was right when he said the "midrange is where we live." This means we can spot goodness AND anomalies there easier than the other ranges. Roy Delgado's K-402 (modified Tractrix design) is the best I've heard from 300Hz. on up. Close second would be JBL2060A and EV 9060 for the 90x40 dispersion angle, but those are limited to 500 Hz.

In fact, the JBL rolls at 700, even though it's huge. It took a while to find some very rare used 402's, and the reason I got them at a reasonble price was they had broken corners, which I epoxied back.

When I heard the 3-way KPT Jubilee 535 (Klipsch made K-1133 driver on 402 with K-510/K-69 tweeter) vs. the 2-way Jubilee (PEQ'd K-69 driver on K-402) I preferred the midrange clarity of the lower Xover point (400 vs. 500 repectively).

When I got mine and measured them, I found that the K-1133 (designed to be a driver for 3-way vs. a K-1132, which is for 2-way (similar to JBL, EV, etc. they look similar) on the K402 was reasonable flat down to below 300 Hz., but pretty much tanked at 4 Khz. JBL 2446 and EV DH1A drivers roll at about 450 but go up to 15Khz with Shelving EQ.

So the K-1133 behaves like a phenolic driver (favoring the low end) with the benefits of stiffness and low mass of titanium with a mylar suspension. Now you may think I'm pushing it by crossing that low. However, when you consider that it has a about a 110 db/Watt efficiency and I listen to music at 80-85 db or less 11 feet away from the driver, it only takes 10 Milliwatts of power to do this. It's like having a 12 cylinder Lambhorghini that you never have to take out of 1st gear, but there are 5 more if you need them, LOL.

See Avatar. So can we talk about ridiculously LOW distortion and lifelike TRANSIENT response and edge definition? You bet. So from 4Khz. on up I have the best Super Tweeter and a QSC "mini me" horn to match the K-402/K-1133 combo.

Klipsch's K69/K-510 in the KPT Jubillee 535, according to Roy, who designed it, is used to PUNCH through a projection screen in a Theater installation and is way overkill for home and too expensive for me anyhow.

The B&C DE-250 (1 inch throat) is good from 800 Hz. to 18 Khz and is used from 1 Khz. on up by Tom Danley as well as Dr. Earl Geddes on his Summas.

Since I'm not using the lower 2 octaves, it too provides crisp harmonics and cymbals just like live ones, with ridiculously low distortion.

After hearing and measuring Jubilees and their clones, and over 30 years of owning Khorns, I know what corner horns sound like.

The best bass I ever had was from the MWM bins, and I heard those with K-402's next to 2-way Jubilees. The MWM bass was more authoritative. I also heard PEQ's LaScala bass with the K-402 and they did a respectable job. IN the range of 60-300 Hz., I prefer bass horns with FEWER FOLDS for greater clarity and fewer peaks and dips.

I have designed a corner bass horn, in Hornresp, that used the core of an MWM with a smaller back chamber to accomodate EVM 15L woofers. It will be a 4 1/2 ft. long horn (vs. 6 ft. for a true MWMs)flat from 60 hz. to behond 300 Hz. with only ONE fold. I will post plans when they are done.

I wanted to do a straight axis version, but it would stick out over 7 feet from the corner, which is impractical. This horn will NOT need any PEQ, unlike my existing FH-1 bass horns. The build is on my to do list, but what I have now with DCX2496 PEQ sounds grea

I have tamed the "cheapScalaBelles" Peavey FH-1 bins with a 9 db PEQ boost at 61 Hz and a 3 db PEQ cut at 154 hz. using a Behringer DCX 2496 on the woofer section only. The 24 db/octave Linkwitz-Riley filter is set from 45 to 323 hz.. This feeds a cheap 6 WATTS per channel chip amp from Parts Express.

I measure about 25 Milliwatts of power at 85 db in my "sweet spot." So I have about 24 db of headroom.

My Onkyo AVR's Audyssey Multi EQ agrees with my setting by automatically choosing a 60 Hz. crossover to the Tapped Horn Sub in the corner (similar to a Danley DTS-20). That sucker does a clean 15-60 Hz. on music (1/4 Watt) and movies (200 Watts available).

I also use the "DOUBLE BASS" setting on my AVR after Audyssey does it's thing. This flattens out the bass overall by allowing the R and L front channels to go full range, since they are already bandpass filtered by the DCX.

I measured response as well as incredible bass power and detail is clearly audible on all recordings.

This would be alot better with some Pictures....Stick out tongue

It's basically 2x my Avatar with a sub standing next to the left channel. It ain't pretty and it's temporary, since I'm moving in 2 weeks. But if y'all insist, I'll see what I can do.

• Moderators

I'll see what I can do.

(as he pulls out the instruction booklet to figure out how to take a picture with his 'one touch' camera)

Angel

I think you just explained all the instructions. [;)]

• 1 month later...

It ain't pretty and it's temporary, since I'm moving in 2 weeks.

You are moving AGAIN? Huh?

Bruce

Moved to Indy and I will be moving again in 4 months. In the meantime, my "wall of sound" is just a narrower wall and still sounds good. I have some precut lumber for a LAB 12 horn, but want to build my MWM derivative corner horn (4.5 vs 6 feet for the original) with one less fold and a square shape.