Camcorders

The Dude

I know they have kind of gone by the waste side do to tabs, and cellphones. But I still prefer the quality of a good camcorder, does anyone have any good recommendations. I would like something with a hdmi, usb out, high quality video. I don't need to spend big bucks something around the 200.00 mark give or take. I want it easy to upload the movie to my computer to make dvds, or store the videos of my family. I am not big on crazy features, just want to be able to turn it on and record. Just seeing what everyone using that seems to be good quality built.

Thanks

The gopro cams are hard to beat. Tons of attachments, price is right, and very rugged. My son straps them to ski poles, his car hood, and even has a waterproof case for underwtater filming. They take wide view and normal view videos. The video quality is excellent.

The video quality is excellent.

Unfortunatley the audio quality...AAC, mono. [:^)]

I guess it depends what your priorities are. Good video, good sound, or both?

GoPro and cell-phone cameras, in large part, are the reason behind why most of the videos on YouTube sound the way they do. They use lossy audio compression right on the camera. They are hardwired this way, and there's no cheap work around for it. Combine that with built-in high passed mics, and voila' that classic YouTube sound.

If sound is a priority, try to find something that records in the DV or miniDV format...48 kHz PCM, stereo FTW. [Y]

I use a Canon GL1 that I purchased new back in 2002. Here's an example from it :

Certainly don't use GoPro for music and never really analyzed the audio, but certainly voice sounds very good on the them and can be substitued for pickup from our 50k main camera. We've a boxful of GoPros because...well, they're cheap, go places others can't, and reliable.

Latest with wireless is very cool, indeed.

Beyond that, at the price you are looking for, you can't purchase a decent stereo pair of mikes much less a camcorder with great sound.

Dave

Fully agree on both points: If you are into photography, then a DSLR is the way to fly...but 1k is about the entry level for it being worthwhile. However, that is half the price of a quality still and a quality video camera separately of a decade ago, so the business case is compelling if you want quality. The even better news is that I am using quality lens I purchased years ago for my high end still cameras.

We use Nikons here for still and for B roll cameras in the field. Awesome! And highly efficient.

Dave

I have a still digital camera that is a couple years old, if I just saved a little more I am sure I could have just purchased a digital camcorder. Which I am sure would have taken just as good as still shots as my digital camera. I guess now my wife and I will have a way to capture anything the kids do at all times. I think I will take a trip to best buy today, since the kids are home from school, do to the snow.

The video quality is excellent.

Unfortunatley the audio quality...AAC, mono. Huh?

I guess it depends what your priorities are. Good video, good sound, or both?

GoPro and cell-phone cameras, in large part, are the reason behind why most of the videos on YouTube sound the way they do. They use lossy audio compression right on the camera. They are hardwired this way, and there's no cheap work around for it. Combine that with built-in high passed mics, and voila' that classic YouTube sound.

If sound is a priority, try to find something that records in the DV or miniDV format...48 kHz PCM, stereo FTW. Yes

I use a Canon GL1 that I purchased new back in 2002. Here's an example from it :

We use GL1's and GL2's for legal video work at my office. Though they're not brodcast quality they do put out one helluva picture.

4:3 ratio and no HDMI but their is a digial out via USB-B mini. We use ours through a Shure mixer and a series of lavalier mics (some with phantom power).

Okies, duder, you know you're gonna get pushed to more $$$ when you ask here, but there is a much better business case for something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=856058&is=REG&si=rev#costumerReview

Nikon, interchangebale lenses, stellar reviews, bit under six hundred bucks for a very high performance still/video camera. Just how much are those kids pix worth?

Remember, if you invest in lenses over the years you'll be able to keep them if you stay with Nikon...and most do once hooked. Some of my lenses are over 30 years old and work just fine, thank you very much!

Anyway, good luck with it. There are some cheaper ones with good reviews, but I think this one is entry level "serious."

Dave

The Nikon I linked is by no means professional grade. OTOH, it's a sound investment that will provide probably three times the useful lifespan of a lesser camcorder while maintaining the price of the lens and any you might add.

Nikon lenses depreciate little to none and I am unaware of any impending technology that will replace glass. One of my favorite sayings is that "Every picture looks precisely as good as the crappiest piece of glass it traveled through."

TRVTH

Dave

Having used the older JVC's, (tape) the newer GL Canon's, (tape) and the Sony ZL1 (tape) the Canon has the best "anti-shake lens correction" in the business with the Sony second. The Canon also has the best quality sound but requires constant head cleaning. (tape) The newer models are now using the AVCHD codec with SD cards or if you can afford it 1080P.

JJK