Best used $4k crotch rocket?

Tremors

I want to add a crotch rocket to the stable. Not knowing if I'll really like the riding position as opposed to my other street bikes, I don't want to spend a lot. So $4k is the max, used is ok, obviously. I'm not a big guy, 5'9" 150lbs, so I want a 500-600cc, I may even go for a 250cc if its ballsy enough, lol. My biggest bike, the Harley, is 1100cc and very heavy. I want something built for my frame size and light. Any suggestions? I've heard that Yamaha's are generally smaller as well as Honda's. Go!

Been looking myself for a bike for transpo...Those examples look good to me. After the Harley, this will be like bending an elbow.

The extra size can get you out of traffic. The size and weight

Have to decide soon. Keep going back to my last drive on a bik. A 95Honda racing package out of the box protobike 700cc. It later became a 750 size when released. 150 mph just going through the gears. Reality grabbed hold. Scary and smooth at the same ol time.

Happy Trails ya'll

Honestly, the 600cc class has been so competitive for the past 20 years that they're all good. So drop by your local dealers and monitor Craigslist, and buy whatever fits you best and is in the best shape.

If you're really concerned about the riding position, consider perhaps a Suzuki Bandit 600/650, a Triumph Speed 600, or a Yamaha FZ6.

It really depends on what you want to do with it and how well you can control yourself. If you already have good riding skills and want to take it to the track eventually or if you want to do stunts - i would recommend Suzuki GSX-R 750. It has power closer to the litter bikes of just a few years ago, but at the same as light as a 600cc.

On the other hand if you know that you will be racing from a traffic light and doing other things you should not do on public roads - then by all means get a 400cc. Now before anyone suggests that 400cc is a wimpy bike - it's not. Yes, it doesn't have the same "GO" power as bikes with bigger engines, but what it lacks in power, it makes up in lightness and ease of control. Because the bike has a small engine, it's an inertia machine that you have to use very differently than a bike where you can just twist the throttle and do a wheelie. But that allows you to flick the bike from side to side a lot easier since it has a lot less mass and much lighter wheels which work as gyro's. So you don't have to work as a hard pushing it from side to side. When we used to come back from a ride on bigger bikes - our suits would be soaked in sweat because going from corner to corner on a big bike is a lot of work. You can carry more speed through turns on a lighter bike, you can lean easier, you can lean further without getting freaked out.

The secondary benefit of the 400cc is the amount of money it may cost. They are usually cheaper and servicing them can be cheaper (tires, oil, breaks, etc), unless you get an exotic one.

A 250 CC can be even more fun on twisty roads or a track, but much less so on long straights. For the city - 400cc is plenty.

Take a look at Kawasaki Ninja 250R and 300. Those are fun and very light.

...i would recommend Suzuki GSX-R 750. It has power closer to the litter bikes of just a few years ago, but at the same as light as a 600cc.

I suspect that you'll get a newer, cleaner 600 for your $4000 than 750.

On the other hand if you know that you will be racing from a traffic light and doing other things you should not do on public roads - then by all means get a 400cc.

A 400 would be a nice bike, but there just haven't been all that many of them on the market ... ever. There are tons and tons of 600s, which means that they'll be easier to find in your price range. And as for the lightness and flickability of a 400; you've been riding Harleys, so any sportbike is going to feel like a bicycle to you.

IMHO. YMMV. Six-two, and even; over and out.

True on all counts, but to each his own. I had different bikes - 600cc, 750cc, 1100cc and rode yet even more that i didn't own. While it's true that 600 may be easy to find and cheap, but just like a set of your basic "Sony" speakers from Best Buy - some of us want something unique (like those 60th aniv Klipschhorns for mains or Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 for a computer instead of 2.0 Creative Labs speakers).

first thing you need to do is ask yourself what type of riding you are going to do... AND BE HONEST! after that, we can help you further.

pure "sport" riding in a confined area(in the canyons) at extreme speeds?

semi "sporty" riding with some longer distance riding mixed in?

off and on road excursions with high speeds mixed in?

off and on road excursions with trail riding mixed in?

extreme long distance riding?

I'm still on the fence between the 250cc and the 600cc classes. I feel like ill want that extra power the 600's have too offer sooner than later. My riding will be mostly city with some back country roads mixed in. A few shorter "Long distance" trips will be happening as well, at around 500 miles give or take. That last part is a big reason why I'm leaning towards the 600, I'm not sure that the 250 is practical for sustained highway speeds, with regard to my own comfort. The new CBR 300 looks cool but again may be too small and is also about $1k+ over budget. Other than that one I'm not familiar with any other mid-size sport bikes that fall between the 250 and 600's, except for the Ninja 500 and FZR 400. I do like the more upright seating on the Ninja 650R, however. Obviously lots more thinking needs to go into this. I appreciate your guys feedback so far :)

given your quick response, I would tentatively suggest a standard of some type in the 750cc range.

Maybe an Honda interceptor v4 or like bike, good for fast riding to a point and great for long distance and city riding with a fairly low seat height.

there are certainly others, but that one came to mind... also the ninja 600 like you mentioned is also not as narrowly focused as ZX 600 Kawasaki.

you may also take a look at an older Aprilia Tuono... you may even find a Mille for about that price if you look hard enough.

good luck finding a fzr400 in acceptable condition, most all of those were made into track bikes, or if they were not, they were severely abused. also, they maybe slightly under powered for 150lbs or so... perfect for 130-140lbs.

If you plan on riding 500 miles, i would not recommend a true super sport such as Yamaha R6, CBR 600 or GSX-R for a simple reason - very agressive seating position with the body leaning forward - you will get worn out very quickly.

At the same time if you will be riding on freeway a lot - then you want to start at 600cc and now lower. This is for two reasons: stability and safety. Light bikes are not nearly as stable at high speeds as bigger, heavier ones. My Ninja ZX11 which weight 650lbs was absolutely wonderful at very high speeds. It was well composed, sure footed and offered great wind protection. But it was designed for high speed. At the same time GSX-R 750 while fast, would feel less stable at 130+mph and even wind could easily move you into another lane.

Given the info above - i think your choice of Kawasaki 650R is absolutely fantastic. It is a great bike with good, comfortable position, plenty of power for highway passing and maneuvers and enough mass to not feel like a leaf in the wind.

I do like the more upright seating on the Ninja 650R, however.

That's because it's not a sport bike. It's a standard. Different class of motorcycle.

I was fortunate enough to rent an ER-6n (650R without the fairing) while in Europe and drove it all over the autobahn and wooded roads of Germany. It's a decent machine, but it's no inline-4 powered super sport either.

Thought you were interested in a crotch-rocket? If your tendecies are gravitating more towards a standard, don't rule out the SV650S.

146_0412_07_z+budget_sport_bike_comparis

Also, I guess I was referring more to the styling then to the performance when I referred to what I want as "crotch rocket". Too me the 650R is a crotch rocket. Although I do understand the difference between it and a Ninja ZX-6. I suppose I'm looking for the middle ground between comfort and performance when it comes down to it, as well as the class that fits my price. Hence the wandering thoughts of cc size; 250? 300? 400? 500? 600?, as it seems that there are a lot of these size bikes that fall within my price range.

little off topic here but have any of yall ever dared to ride a KX 500. When I heard kawasaki were discontinuing them in 2004 I bought 2 new ones, one is still in the crate. I"ve been riding my whole life and there is nothing in this world that gives the thrill of a 500cc 2-stroke, their totally insane. I also have a mint RM 500, RM 465, and a IT 490. Try 0 to 90 in 100 yards on dirt with the front wheel never touching the ground till about the 60 yard mark, hence my screen name. These new 4-strokes just dont have the crazy, almost uncontrolable hit that the big 2"s have, I tried a new honda 450x, and sold it, way to much maint.

Get your user name was always curious. I have ridden a few big 2 strokes they are insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I put one in a tree the first time I rode one on a small track. I rode a tricked out 750 crotch rocket it was tame in comparison to a kx500 although I am sure it was faster. Smart man buying 2 of those, the one in the crate is probably worth 15,000... Not a bad little return, probably cost around 4600 to 5000 new. I have yz 250 with almost 50hp and at a little over 200 pounds its pretty quick... Be awesome if you could post some picks....

2 stroke street bikes, yowser. My 3 oldest brothere were into street bikes in the early 70's. My oldest brother had a Kawasaki 750 triple two stroke. My gawd, when it hit the power band, you better be hanging on, it was like a turbo kicking in. I hated riding on the back as it was hard to hang on with the front of the bike up in the air all the time. One of my other brothers had a 500 triple two stroke that was just about as bad. He traded that in on a 900 four when they came out. The third bike was a 350 two stroke I believe. I was much younger at the time but I believe those were the sizes and configurations.