SOLD: Pair K-402/K-1133 3-way Hybrid "Stack"

ClaudeJ1

Claude, I'm very interested but not sure what all is included. Please elaborate.

First of all, this is the best sound I have had since selling my Khorns 5 1/2 years ago after 30 years. I wanted to evolve into better, more defined sound. Flatter, deeper, lower distortion, better transients, all of it. For those who have followed my evolution, you know it has been a fruitful journey, culminating in what I now have, which is the best horn sound I've been able to come up with on a LOW BUDGET.

FH-1 bass bins (rugged, LaScala-like) with professionally re-coned EVM 15L woofers, Klipsch K-402's with Klipsch made K-1133 2" compression drivers (the real prize here), Xovers. I was going to re-use the "mini me" tweeters with B&C DE-250 drivers for my next pair of speakers, but I'll throw throw in for an extra $200, so $1,500 for the whole stack, including passive network. It took me 5 years and many horns and drivers to get to match up all of these. Keep in mind that a new pair of K-402's and drivers alone will cost you over 2 Grand.

The only reason I'm selling is SPACE. moving to Indy for new job and moving into a small house. They are cosmetically in need of work, but, ah, the SOUND!!

I have enough Klipsch Pro speakers (KP-200's--Heresy like) to get me by until I build something smaller. I may also end up selling the KP-200's as well since my room is going to be 1/3 the size I have now!

My asking price is basically what actual dollars I have into them. I ideally you want my tapped horn sub to go with it as well. I have $400 into that including the tools I needed to build it, which was over $300 in driver and materials. In my present room, the entire system (2.1) goes from 15 hz. to 18 Khz. inside a +/- 4 db envelope in the sweet spot.

Very sorry to hear this news but I am sure that you will land on your feet and a larger audio room is in your future. Some one is in for the audio treat of their lives. All I can say is wow what a deal! Best regards Moray James.

PS: do you still have a set of square magnet Peavey 22A available? If I am correct they have radial phase plugs not the the salt shakers of the round versions.

Claude, I'm very interested but not sure what all is included. Please elaborate.

First of all, this is the best sound I have had since selling my Khorns 5 1/2 years ago after 30 years. I wanted to evolve into better, more defined sound. Flatter, deeper, lower distortion, better transients, all of it. For those who have followed my evolution, you know it has been a fruitful journey, culminating in what I now have, which is the best horn sound I've been able to come up with on a LOW BUDGET. FH-1 bass bins (rugged, LaScala-like) with professionally re-coned EVM 15L woofers, Klipsch K-402's with Klipsch made K-1133 2" compression drivers (the real prize here), Xovers. I was going to re-use the "mini me" tweeters with B&C DE-250 drivers for my next pair of speakers, but I'll throw throw in for an extra $200, so $1,500 for the whole stack, including passive network. It took me 5 years and many horns and drivers to get to match up all of these. Keep in mind that a new pair of K-402's and drivers alone will cost you over 2 Grand. The only reason I'm selling is SPACE. moving to Indy for new job and moving into a small house. They are cosmetically in need of work, but, ah, the SOUND!! I have enough Klipsch Pro speakers (KP-200's--Heresy like) to get me by until I build something smaller. I may also end up selling the KP-200's as well since my room is going to be 1/3 the size I have now!

Thanks for the detailed reply Claude. I have followed some of your audio journey via the forum and am sorry to hear that you have to part with the setup. I will send you an email tonight or perhaps you can email me your phone number and a good time call in the evening. I look forward to talking to you soon.

Thanks,

Mike

Very sorry to hear this news but I am sure that you will land on your feet and a larger audio room is in your future. Some one is in for the audio treat of their lives. All I can say is wow what a deal! Best regards Moray James.

PS: do you still have a set of square magnet Peavey 22A available? If I am correct they have radial phase plugs not the the salt shakers of the round versions.

Never had square magnet ones, didn't know they existed, but I have 2 regular 22A's that curve very well, even on a Klipsch K-401, LOL.

I put the price in the post. I don't really want to sell the 402 separate. The 3-way stack, with subwoofer took years to get right. When I finally got to know how to use Hornresp, I was able to simulate all kinds of woofers inside all kinds of bass horns. This EVM 15L, with brand new recone parts, was the best match for the FH-1 bass horn. It naturally rolls off at the same point as the K-402, so no EQ is required where the two meet at 320 Hz. The 2 inch throat of the K-1133 Driver in the K-402 horn rolls off at about 5,000 Hz. The B&C DE-250 is good down about 800 Hz. in the QSC horn/waveguide, but I only use it down to 5,000 Hz. to mate with the natural rolloff of the K-402/K-1133. The efficiency of the treble section is within 1 db at about 109 db/watt, so it's a perfect match to drive each horn through a single blocking capacitor.

The FH-1/EVM 15L horn woofer section is slightly less efficient, so it is driven with a seprate chip amplifier (6 w/ch.) through a Behringer DCX2496, which is not for sale. So the drive level to the woofer is slightly higher (about 4-5 db, which is a typical difference between woofers horns and mid/tweeter horns). I would rather bi-amp with higher drive on the woofer rather than use L-pads or Autoformers on the treble section. It give me more control and gives a more pure electrical path to the horns through a single capacitor. Also, the woofer amp drives the voice coils directly without additional inductance. Again a more pure path.

The dimensions of the FH-1 (in inches) are 25 1/2 H x 30 W x 23 3/4 D. the K-402 is 26 H x 39 1/2 W x 25 D. The tweeter is 10 H x 14 W x 9 1/2 D. Total stack height is 62.

Bump for Claude. If you were even semi local, these would be gone.

Just moved to Indy. Am I semi local? LOL.

The isosceles triangle sweet spot just got closer in, but the house configuration has only changed the character of the bass, but not the sound quality. In fact, I think I'm hearing a bit more detail than before since I'm sitting closer and getting a higher direct to reverberant ratio. Thank goodness for AUDYSSEY Multi EQ on my receiver.

Just bough a used table saw and a new blade, so I plan to take the precut lumber I had for twin LAB horns and use it to build my corner quasi MWM bass horns, courtesy of David McBean's Hornresp software and about 50 iterations. It uses a single "core" of a Klipsch MWM bin firing into a self contained corner that is a 45" square with a 45" radius. It's assymetrical, but it only has ONE fold, so it should be flat from 60-300 Hz. if the real thing measures like the model. Plus it will be Oak Plywood to match the tapped horn Sub.