No Sound From Integra DTR 40.1 Receiver

Youthman

• Moderators

I stopped by a friend's HT to troubleshoot. He has an Integra DTR 40.1 receiver that is about 2yrs old. He said over the past few weeks, sometimes the sound would just stop working. Video works fine. He has 3 components hooked up via HDMI in and one HDMI out going to the TV.

First thing I did to troubleshoot was to have the receiver generate test tones.....No Sound.

Second thing I tried was a Hard Reset of the unit....No Sound.

Third thing I tried was I hooked up my iPhone via the front Aux jack (to see if maybe the HDMI board had gone bad).....No Sound.

I called Integra Tech support and he agreed that at minimal, the test tones should have come through the speakers. Unit will need to be sent in for repair if it is within the 2yr warranty. My friend will have to pull up his paperwork to see when he had everything installed in his HT.

Fourth thing I tried was I brought his receiver to my home and unhooked one of my RCA's on the back of my reciever and connected to the Integra. Turned both my Receiver on (so it would trigger for the Parasound amp to come on) and the Integra on, switched to the front Aux jack with my iPhone....No Sound.

I switched through each of the preouts on the back of the Integra and even tried the sub out.....No sound.

My thought was the amp board has gone caput and maybe we could use the preouts and just get him an amp.....Wrong.

Other than absolutely no sound, the unit seems to operate perfectly. Menu system works, HDMI Video switching works great.

Any ideas what might have gone wrong with this unit?

Does the unit have relays in it? Ask him if it used to make any audible clicks when he used to power it up.

A failed relay would quickly and quietly kill sound to the speakers without any other indication.

Also check to A or B speakers set to "on". A test tone will not be present when neither main speaker bus is selected.

I recently had an Onkyo 708 repaired under warranty for the same issue.

The tech told me that there was internal wirewith bad connections at it's termination plug. The wire was defective,

not just loose at the connection.

I don't know exactly which wire but it was replaced and worked correctly.

I sold it, as I had already repalced it.

• Moderators

Quiet, I did not see any "Main" or "A" or "B" to turn on or off. That was one of the things I looked for. It only has a Zone 2 On/Off.

Anyone with an Integra know if this unit has a "Main" or "A" On option?

Allgon, from what I see online, some of the Integras have had this problem. Some suggest as you a poor solder internally was the culprit.

Hoping he is still under warranty. If not, he wants to buy an inexpensive $300 receiver.

Michael,

This is a mystery. If HDMI board failure, only HDMI would not work.

Hoping he is still under warranty.

If out of warranty, have your friend "insist" politely and patiently that Integra tech support cover for damages. No reason after 2 - 3 years this "situation" should occur.

Edit:

After looking at photos of your friend's beautiful entertainment center, where is his Integra 40.1 located? Is it in the cabinet? Does he have cooling fans? Onkyos/Integras are notorious for running at higher temperatures than other mfr's receivers. Possibly the culprit here.

Bill

had this happen to my Elite receiver. took it in and got it fixed. tech said over time it gets hot and a soldered connection cracked. resoldered and worked fine. can't remember the cost but seems like it was between $100--$200

BGA's are a bummer to work with and a hassle to diagnose a bad solder joint. I worked on a piece of gear that had a BGA chip on it. If anything was flaky on the board, we would x-ray it. If we found something, we would put it into an oven to reflow the chip. It's also a female dog to remove the chip.

• Moderators

If out of warranty, have your friend "insist" politely and patiently that Integra tech support cover for damages. No reason after 2 - 3 years this "situation" should occur.

I agree wholeheartedly, no sound...completely? That's a result of poor workmanship on the manufacturer. Would be nice if it's just a solder job on the inside.

where is his Integra 40.1 located? Is it in the cabinet?

Yes, it's in the bottom cabinet behind the solid doors. No cooling fans. I'll let him know about the cooling fan. Good idea.

Heat could very well be the issue.

• Moderators

I just called the AV Installer....number has been disconnected but website is still up. I emailed them through their website and received a call back. Company dissolved a year ago due to economy. He said he probably would not be able to locate any information on his install so it is now up to my friend to find some paperwork, receipt etc on his end either physically or an email with an invoice.

Integra said today there is a 3yr warranty, yesterday the gentleman said 2yr. Hopefully it is 3yr because I believe he had it all installed 2-3yrs ago so I'm sure he is getting close to being out of warranty.

• 2 years later...

UPDATE! The DTR 40.1 is covered under an extended service plan for this issue. Seems that a part in the main amp board was faulty from their parts distributor. Call them and explain the problem, they will give you and RA number.

Being that I installed this unit about 2 years ago, finding the recipt was not going to happen. The support rep said no problem and got the ball rolling with no fuss.

Edited by Tonemeister AVS